The Politics Thread 2019

David

3 minutes ago, Norman said:

If the USA will not deal with the health sector being protected by law, then they won't do a deal.

No way would a majority in parliament, or the public allow that law to be changed.

Go read the act, all of it.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Fair enough - what it is right, is that historically, young people have frequently used music as a tool for protest. An engaging medium by which to get across a message of dissatisfaction. It's not just something that happens in the background of a film to create a mood ?
Old people are traditionally supposed to be outraged by the angry message of protest music. Job done

Glastonbury Festival has always been political (starting out as a fundraiser for CND). The organiser Michael Eavis is a supporter of nuclear disarmament, anti-austerity and extremely green in outlook. For a newspaper to suggest that the crowd chanting Jeremy Corbyn's name when he appeared on stage was an example of the festival taking "a dark turn" is outrageously poor reporting

Thanks for the heads up ?

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

I thought you might be interested in the story because it highlights a lot of the issues dear to your heart - political messages being twisted by the media to suit an agenda, freedom of speech, hypocrisy etc Quite surprised you weren't interested tbh

On the surface, yes it does - but there's not enough time in the day to be outraged at everything ?

Also, I work from home and my level of work fluctuates.  Last week I had lots of time get on my free speech soap box, this week google and facebook etc can get $90bn knocked off their share price due to antitrust scrutiny and impending regulation and I barely have time to care.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-03/facebook-google-regulatory-woes-erode-137-billion-from-fangs

18 minutes ago, Norman said:

Left wing group stops left wing band playing in left wing field populated by mostly left wingers.

Exactly - and that makes the news. The media wants to talk about that because it's controversial and people might get outraged.
The media doesn't want to talk about why they wrote the song and how many people have died as a direct result of austerity.

What a world

3 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Exactly - and that makes the news. The media wants to talk about that because it's controversial and people might get outraged.
The media doesn't want to talk about why they wrote the song and how many people have died as a direct result of austerity.

What a world

How many have the EU killed through austerity?

16 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Its an indication on what the tories would be prepared to do, if we left.  I am saying that if we dealt with the USA, the NHS would be opened up, as well as chlorinated chicken and super obesity.

Ah yes, another alarmist fake news story.

Most of us eat chlorinated fruit, veg & salad every day and that's fine, apparently. I saw something a few weeks ago to say that chlorine residues are likely to be higher in fresh produce than on chicken.

16 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

I'm trying to find it again....

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Ah yes. How you liking your chlorinated fruit and vegetables?

It occurs naturally in some.  I don't buy 'processed' vegetables.

The concern with chicken is that chlorine is used to kill off chicken gut bacteria, it is a cheap, however open to having corners cut and putting public health at risk.  Acceptable in the USA as they have lower food standards than the EU.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Ah yes. How you liking your chlorinated fruit and vegetables?

Yes the EU allows producers of packaged prepared salads to be washed in chlorine. The use of chlorine isn't the problem, the problem is why USA chickens need to be chlorinated.

USA farmers rear their chickens in cramped and unsanitary conditions, which means that when the chickens are slaughtered they need to be washed in chlorine in an attempt kill any bacteria that may be on the carcass. An exercise that isn't always successful, so any chicken coming from America could potentially be a source of food poisoning

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

USA farmers rear their chickens in cramped and unsanitary conditions, which means that when the chickens are slaughtered they need to be washed in chlorine in an attempt kill any bacteria that may be on the carcass. An exercise that isn't always successful, so any chicken coming from America could potentially be a source of food poisoning

I'm not aware of Americans dropping like flies due to Chicken poisoning. Given their propensity to sue for everything I'm sure its not much of an issue!

The food supply chains from our European partners is often highlighted in various food scares or recalls. In the UK we are less than pure with several companies in trouble. Look at the council hygene ratings. Puts you off eating anything you haven't killed or grown yourself.

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Yes the EU allows producers of packaged prepared salads to be washed in chlorine. The use of chlorine isn't the problem, the problem is why USA chickens need to be chlorinated.

And yet (from what I've read in the last few days) there is no evidence to suggest that American chicken is any more likely to poison you. Besides, our chicken is riddled with bacteria before we cook it.

It's just hysteria built up around the term "chlorinated" which sounds very bad, right?. Of course it does and of course UK farmers would use scary language to talk about a possible future competitor.

5 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Ah yes, another alarmist fake news story.

Most of us eat chlorinated fruit, veg & salad every day and that's fine, apparently. I saw something a few weeks ago to say that chlorine residues are likely to be higher in fresh produce than on chicken.

I work in the chicken industry. It's not about the chlorine - they need the chemicals because of the highly insanitary practices they use in order to save a penny. 

Rest assured if you buy a chicken in a UK supermarket, it won't make you ill (if you handle it correctly - e.g. don't wash it).

I asked my previous QA senior manager if she would eat chlorine washed chicken and the answer was - not a chance. And that's from someone who understands in depth what the issues are. 

56 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Change UK have lost 6 of their MP's now - gone back to being Independents.

Anna Soubry is now leader of what's left. Can't stand her, personally.

Good, not keen on her either but can’t stand Chuka ramuna ( spelling ? ) talks about how politics is broken whilst being everything and more that is breaking politics , stand and get elected as a party member on a party ticket ,leave said party and start/join another ? Bye election is the only course if you have an ounce of integrity and any belief in democracy ,

said it for a while ,we don’t have politicians anymore we have clowns auditioning for I’m a celebrity get me out of here

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

And yet (from what I've read in the last few days) there is no evidence to suggest that American chicken is any more likely to poison you. Besides, our chicken is riddled with bacteria before we cook it.

It's just hysteria built up around the term "chlorinated" which sounds very bad, right?. Of course it does and of course UK farmers would use scary language to talk about a possible future competitor.

Use a better search engine, google is rubbish.  Great link, if you care to read it.

https://www.sustainweb.org/news/feb18_US_foodpoisoning/

Example: The US reports higher rates of illness from foodborne illness than in the UK. Annually, 14.7% (48m) of the US population suffer from an illness, versus 1.5% (1m) in the UK. This is nearly ten times the percentage of population. [see note 3 below]

4 hours ago, Wolfie said:

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

Use a better search engine, google is rubbish.  Great link, if you care to read it.

https://www.sustainweb.org/news/feb18_US_foodpoisoning/

Example: The US reports higher rates of illness from foodborne illness than in the UK. Annually, 14.7% (48m) of the US population suffer from an illness, versus 1.5% (1m) in the UK. This is nearly ten times the percentage of population. [see note 3 below]

If due to any deal we agree to with the USA, we have to accept their food standards. Then chlorinated chickens will be the least of our worries.

It's been estimated that the average American consumes between 1 to 2lbs of maggots, flys and fly eggs per year.This is due to low food standard regulations in the USA, that allows parasites to be in food that is sold for human consumption in the USA.

7 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

If due to any deal we agree to with the USA, we have to accept their food standards. Then chlorinated chickens will be the least of our worries.

It's been estimated that the average American consumes between 1 to 2lbs of maggots, flys and fly eggs per year.This is due to low food standard regulations in the USA, that allows parasites to be in food that is sold for human consumption in the USA.

I know a couple of people who worked making the binding paste for loads of food products in the UK .  You wouldn't believe the stuff that's in it or what find's it's way into it .Most packaged food is the same  no matter where it's from . 

Archived