The Politics Thread 2019

David

39 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I think we've got crossed wires here eddie pal.

I'm not having a go at max or gstar here. We obviously don't agree but we've had some interesting chats on private message and I think both of us have handled those chats with class. Whether we agree or not, I respect why he feels the way he does.

It was neither max nor gstar who accused me of being racist and then when I refused to answer a clear trolling attempt say "is it because I told you I wasn't white".

Sad to hear. This debate can take up too much of my spare time. Sometimes i log in and I have 4 or 5 replies to a post. Haven't got the time for that. So i don't follow every page sometimes and don't read all the replies to my own posts, so i'm not sure who you are on about. Not sure I want to know either.

But apart from sniping comments, mainly immature and unfunny, I thought it was quite a good thread.

Obviously not. Hope it hasn't put you off posting.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Norman said:

Sad to hear. This debate can take up too much of my spare time. Sometimes i log in and I have 4 or 5 replies to a post. Haven't got the time for that. So i don't follow every page sometimes and don't read all the replies to my own posts, so i'm not sure who you are on about. Not sure I want to know either.

But apart from sniping comments, mainly immature and unfunny, I thought it was quite a good thread.

Obviously not. Hope it hasn't put you off posting.

I strongly disagree with this. Not all of your posts were immature and unfunny.

23 minutes ago, eddie said:

If it's not nailed down, then post-Brexit, it's up for sale to America.

If it is nailed down, we'll sell the nails as well.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/donald-trump-nhs-trade-deal-woody-johnson-matt-hancock-a8940861.html

Is this what you voted for?

Sadly I think, although obviously nobody voted for the breakup of the NHS, it's only a matter of time before there's an argument that, if it frees us from the EU, it will be worth it. 

25 minutes ago, eddie said:

If it's not nailed down, then post-Brexit, it's up for sale to America.

If it is nailed down, we'll sell the nails as well.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/donald-trump-nhs-trade-deal-woody-johnson-matt-hancock-a8940861.html

Is this what you voted for?

Forgot to mention that Woody Johnson amusingly is named after two nicknames for male genitalia. 

14 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Forgot to mention that Woody Johnson amusingly is named after two nicknames for male genitalia. 

Without wishing to gloss over Matt Hancock, his habits are not for public - or pubic - display either

5 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Quite a flippant answer for someone who seems adamant that there is no islamaphobia in the Tory party!

Who do we believe - Baroness Warsi and actual tory and an actual muslim - or some right-wing geezer on a football forum? haha

Yes I believe Baroness Warsi. Once again an open an shut case.

The USA's ambassador in Britain as claimed that a great trade deal between our countries could be concluded quickly and easily.

If anyone as listened to Trump talking about trade deals. He only considers a deal to be good if it is only advantageous for the USA.

So unless our government concedes to all the US demands, a deal won't be quick or easy. If we do roll over to their demands, any deal agreed to, will definitely not be a good deal for the vast majority of the country's population.

3 hours ago, Uptherams said:

This whole NHS US trade deal thing is a farce. It's simply US corporations tendering for an NHS contract. It's ultimately a good thing. 

A good thing for who?

Do you believe that privatisation of NHS contracts is good for us?

11 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Sadly I think, although obviously nobody voted for the breakup of the NHS, it's only a matter of time before there's an argument that, if it frees us from the EU, it will be worth it. 

Disappointed it's happening this quickly tbh. 

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

You'll have to explain that.

Lets start with the debate about a fully tax payer funded NHS v the American private system. Why do think the latter is better for us?

I don't think it's a case of privatization (yet). It's more a case of us buying and using their drugs/medicine rather than EU alternatives.

Reminder - it's the politics thread, not the sexuality thread. I know there's a line that blurs when the discussion is around politicians' views on subjects like this, but I don't feel pursuing this subject will end well.

25 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Reminder - it's the politics thread, not the sexuality thread. I know there's a line that blurs when the discussion is around politicians' views on subjects like this, but I don't feel pursuing this subject will end well.

Fair enough, irl I'm known for Grandpa Simpson levels of digression ?

The problem is politics bleeds into almost all areas of life so its easy to get distracted, maybe relabel this the brexit thread instead as its mostly talk surrounding that anyway.  More likely to keep us on topic as well!

6 hours ago, Uptherams said:

Are life saving drugs a bad thing? 

Only if you can afford it.  At the moment the NHS treats everyone fairly.  Replacing that with an insurance based would negatively impact the working class and the poor.  So if you have an income of £70,000k (household), you will probably be able to afford to cover 'average' medical requirements, such as coughs, cold, sprains, cuts and bruises, minor ops and small broken bones.

Archived