The Politics Thread 2019

Day

6 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Mate it isn’t overblown.

If it wasn’t for him we would have surrendered our sovereignty 

Perhaps, but that is only limited to his decision to fight the war in 1940. His actual wartime tactics were terrible and we would almost certainly have had to surrender eventually had it not been for the US and, primarily, Russia. One of our most acclaimed victories in the war was the Battle of El-Alamein. I believe that was only really possible because Hitler began to divert troops to the cause in Russia.

My knowledge is a little rusty so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Oh, and his contributions to the war in the 1940s have  zero relevance to Brexit.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Perhaps, but that is only limited to his decision to fight the war in 1940. His actual wartime tactics were terrible and we would almost certainly have had to surrender eventually had it not been for the US and, primarily, Russia. One of our most acclaimed victories in the war was the Battle of El-Alamein. I believe that was only really possible because Hitler began to divert troops to the cause in Russia.

My knowledge is a little rusty so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I don’t need to correct you because it’s true we were on the verge of losing the war and we owe so much to so few and if we had Europe would have been a very different place. 

It is true the Russian winter and Pearl Harbor causing the Americans to enter World War 2 was a massive turning point but it should never be forgotten the bravery of the people of the UK 

Its also true peace in Europe is vital and some think the EU has helped create that. 

Nato I would say has played a bigger part as has the UN. 

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I don’t need to correct you because it’s true we were on the verge of losing the war and we owe so much to so few and if we had Europe would have been a very different place. 

It is true the Russian winter and Pearl Harbor causing the Americans to enter World War 2 was a massive turning point but it should never be forgotten the bravery of the people of the UK 

What you say is true. But why should Churchill's opinion on Brexit be relevant when his greatest character traits were essentially grit and determination, and not complex political issues? Mason Bennett shares those traits but I'd never ask his opinion on Brexit!

Just now, BurtonRam7 said:

What you say is true. But why should Churchill's opinion on Brexit be relevant when his greatest character traits were essentially grit and determination, and not complex political issues? Mason Bennett shares those traits but I'd never ask his opinion on Brexit!

It was in response to Eddie regarding something he asked about something to the effect who was a competent person and I gave a example but you may disagree.

19 minutes ago, Curtains said:

It was in response to Eddie regarding something he asked about something to the effect who was a competent person and I gave a example but you may disagree.

Hardly competent to lead the Brexit debate. The man's been dead for decades.

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Jeremy_Corbyn.jpg

Well he wants Brexit as it’s the only way he’ll be able to nationalise industries again. But he’s all of a fluster as it kind of goes against so many remain labour voters. Tsk tsk .. the problems of politics when you actually have to do something rather than protest on the sidelines. 

He’s also got a great team of anti semites on the National executive .. ooops one’s been suspended. ( for how long one wonders ) 

19 minutes ago, jono said:

Well he wants Brexit as it’s the only way he’ll be able to nationalise industries again. But he’s all of a fluster as it kind of goes against so many remain labour voters. Tsk tsk .. the problems of politics when you actually have to do something rather than protest on the sidelines. 

He’s also got a great team of anti semites on the National executive .. ooops one’s been suspended. ( for how long one wonders ) 

And now only the second political party in the UK to be investigated by the EHRC on racism, the first......

BNP

4 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Jeremy_Corbyn.jpg

Sadly for Jezza, he has just managed to come well behind Theresa May in an opinion poll as to who would make the better prime minister. And that was taken after she had resigned and is basically a political dodo.

He needs to get his act together - is he actually interested in leading or is he somewhat reluctant being at heart a protester/debater?

18 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Quite. This is why it would be idiotic to run the same referendum again. Any subsequent referendum on the issue has to be specific about the options and more crucially the outcomes have to be realistic and achievable

I'd go for

1) exit with the deal as negotiated

2) exit with no deal

3) don't exit at all and revoke A50

Why not negotiate Brexit first, then re-run the same referendum except this time instead of

1) Remain

2) Leave ( in an unspecified way, covering a large range of potential options).

It would be,

1) Remain by revoking article 50

2) Leave (in precisely this way....eg No Deal)

That way it wouldn't be exactly the same question as first time round and you would avoid accusations of trying to split the Brexit vote.

6 hours ago, Curtains said:

Who is competent to lead the Country through all this turmoil at the moment. 

Any ideas ? 

Wait until the LibDems have had their election first.

2 hours ago, jono said:

Scary, isn't it?

Institutionalised anti-semitism in the Labout Party v institutionalised Islamophobia in the Conservative Party.

Archived