The Politics Thread 2019

Day

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Name me a leader or party that puts the country before party politics 

3 hours ago, cstand said:

Donald Trump. 

Trump putting country before party? The only thing he wants put first before party, country or anything for that matter is himself.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's almost as if everyone is ignoring the fact that BJ stuffing his cabinet with Leave MPs doesn't change the parliamentary arithmetic that has led to the impasse on Brexit

You can see in his eyes and body language that all his forced proclamations about delivering Brexit on October 31st are pure bluff and just part of his strategy. He doesn't believe it for a second. The timescales just don't work and he knows it

We'll have an election where the parties are forced to make electoral pacts along Brexit lines and it will be a farcical proxy second referendum

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

It's almost as if everyone is ignoring the fact that BJ stuffing his cabinet with Leave MPs doesn't change the parliamentary arithmetic that has led to the impasse on Brexit

You can see in his eyes and body language that all his forced proclamations about delivering Brexit on October 31st are pure bluff and just part of his strategy. He doesn't believe it for a second. The timescales just don't work and he knows it

We'll have an election where the parties are forced to make electoral pacts along Brexit lines and it will be a farcical proxy second referendum

The best commentation I have seen is he'll propose a new deal, a free trade deal in public. The EU will reject it. He'll call a general election, the Tories will romp it on the back of the public offer to the EU and people wanting to leave. He'll then have the number of MP's in parliament to sign off on us leaving with no deal. This, with just weeks or days to go, will be it for the EU. Do they now accept the reasonable offer or do they allow no deal to occur. 

2 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

The best commentation I have seen is he'll propose a new deal, a free trade deal in public. The EU will reject it. He'll call a general election, the Tories will romp it on the back of the public offer to the EU and people wanting to leave. He'll then have the number of MP's in parliament to sign off on us leaving with no deal. This, with just weeks or days to go, will be it for the EU. Do they now accept the reasonable offer or do they allow no deal to occur. 

It's the latter.

They won't have forgotten what happened the last time a Tory PM took the electorate for granted (after all, it was only 2 years ago). Patience in the EU is running out as far as I can tell and they are pretty fed up of the childish games the UK government has been playing. Now we have a Prime Minister who is the very epitome of 'childish', they will be prepared to cut us adrift.

26 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

You may be right, but I genuinely fear for our country if that is how it plays out. Civil war is probably too strong a prediction, but there is 50% and growing support for Remain that won't just sit back and let this happen to them. In a world of politics where the unimaginable keeps on happening, I wouldn't be surprised to see Boris end his days swinging from a lamp post outside Westminster

6 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

You may be right, but I genuinely fear for our country if that is how it plays out. Civil war is probably too strong a prediction, but there is 50% and growing support for Remain that won't just sit back and let this happen to them. In a world of politics where the unimaginable keeps on happening, I wouldn't be surprised to see Boris end his days swinging from a lamp post outside Westminster

WTF ?

37 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

WTF ?

yeah that's what I said a few years ago at the idea of Trump being president and Johnson being PM.

Not saying it would happen, or that I want it to happen - just saying that the world is going insane and nothing would surprise me anymore

We've had an unprecedented period of peace in the west, with reasonable, measured leadership. We're simply not used to what happens when demagogues rise to power in OUR countries. You don't have to read too many history books to learn what generally happens to demagogues in the end.

1 hour ago, Uptherams said:

I can not see the Tories romping it in a general election. However, Johnson is being clever at the moment and seems to be preparing for a general election by making a number of headline grabbing promises.

This includes 20,000 new police officers which, funnily enough, is the exact number that are needed to replace the 'lost' officers since 2010 due to Tory government policies! ( https://fullfact.org/crime/police-numbers/ )

35 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

This includes 20,000 new police officers which, funnily enough, is the exact number that are needed to replace the 'lost' officers since 2010 due to Tory government policies! ( https://fullfact.org/crime/police-numbers/ )

He's not a details man - it's just a headline number isn't it. The sad thing is, even if pressed to explain the details - he won't. And our media just somehow accept that..

What about the 600 police stations that have closed as a result? Will these be rebuilt to house them?

What about the 1000s of court staff and probation officers that have been cut because fewer police means fewer cases to deal with? Are they being rehired?

How long will it take to train  20,000 new police officers - and then how long will it be before they have the years of experience of those 20,000 they are replacing?

No point in even asking is there - because it's all lies anyway

7 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Quite a skill you must have. Can you have a look at our opposing managers press conferences this season, then tell PC how they're going to line up? 

8 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Thatcher and Trump put the country before politics.

Not biting, that is pathetic wumming.

No .. Thatcher had an ideology that you either agreed with or didn’t. but Trump is an ill educated whipper up of a populist mob. Huge difference. 

4 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

He's not a details man - it's just a headline number isn't it. The sad thing is, even if pressed to explain the details - he won't. And our media just somehow accept that..

What about the 600 police stations that have closed as a result? Will these be rebuilt to house them?

What about the 1000s of court staff and probation officers that have been cut because fewer police means fewer cases to deal with? Are they being rehired?

How long will it take to train  20,000 new police officers - and then how long will it be before they have the years of experience of those 20,000 they are replacing?

You’re right Steve he isn’t a details man, there is a lot of bluster, populism and big sky ideas along with a considerable lack of substance and arithmetic.

Bit like Corbyn, Macdonald and the SWP alliance (as labour should be called ) 

i dispair at the ugly polarisation of our politics today. It is dominated by small minded whining self righteous jealousy on the left and by loud mouthed self serving egotists on the right. ... why is it that the 15% of folks on either wing of our politics are driving the agenda while the rest of us 70% who deep down don’t like any of them have to put up with what they decree or want to decree  is the right way. 

6 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Seeing as the main qualities displayed by most policemen are sarcasm and the desire to do as little work as possible, shouldn't take that long.

4 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Is Boris putting on that sight stoop he is now affecting to try to look more like Churchill? ?

His putting up two fingers to the majority of the country should help with his impersonation.

In today's most hilarious news

British communications watchdog Ofcom has fined RT 200.000 Pounds for failing to preserve due impartiality in their news and current affairs programs. 

No large news network preserves due impartiality, it's just a matter of which propaganda one chooses to get spoon-fed, but no, now the wrong propaganda must be condemned and fined and outlawed and blabla.  Shameless psychotic shenanigans, but i suppose few will even raise an eyebrow over it.  Crazy western world which gets nuttier by the day

Archived