The Politics Thread 2019

David

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, jono said:

I can’t wait for Monday. If it doesn’t come soon I am going to have to start doing politics in the pub which always gets me in trouble.

I know what you mean. I was with my Dad last Summer in his local pub in Cornwall. The chat round the bar turned to leaving the EU and one chap said at least it'll all be sorted by the end of March.

I responded by saying I didn't think so. When asked what I meant I said I didn't think we would have agreed a deal by then. It all went quiet for a while and then the subject changed.

49 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

My sarcasm was wasted there ?

I understand what you mean G STAR RAM I just feel that politically the UK is in such a mess at the moment. For example, some of my thoughts:

• Why did the Liberal Democrats get such a rough deal from the public after the coalition with the Tories? I know they broke some election promises but there obviously had to be compromises as part of a coalition. IMO they were a caliming influence on the Tories and the country was 'run' better during that time than since as a Tory - DUP coalition.
  • People keep 'banging on about' the EU Referendum but IMO the more important referendum for politics in the UK was the one for changing the voting system. Although the system proposed wasn't great it was IMO a step in the right direction. Where I live, and I know I'm not alone with this, my vote does not count at all, even though they count it, because there is such a large majority for a party which I don't vote for. Votes should not just be important in 'swing seats' in a General Election.
  • Is it OK that flags get 'hijacked' for political means?  Leave voters wave union jack flags and Remain voters the European flag. What do I do as someone who considers themselves as English, British and European? I'm proud to be English, British and European but that does not mean that I think England is better than another country.
  • Why isn't the Labour Party 'streets ahead' in the polls when you consider how inept the current Government is? Surely Labour need to take a stand one way or the other on Europe?
  • Will the people really be gullible enough to vote the Tory Party back in again based on all the promises that have been made since Johnson came in? 

I never cease to be amazed at how politicians and journalists don’t always tell the truth. In the real world like it or not that is what happens. Personally, I think Boris will get things done, a breath of fresh air. Corbyn would take the country into the depths of misery (but like his personality). 

1 hour ago, 1967Ram said:

I know what you mean. I was with my Dad last Summer in his local pub in Cornwall. The chat round the bar turned to leaving the EU and one chap said at least it'll all be sorted by the end of March.

I responded by saying I didn't think so. When asked what I meant I said I didn't think we would have agreed a deal by then. It all went quiet for a while and then the subject changed.

What a boisterous night was had.

1 hour ago, 1967Ram said:

I understand what you mean G STAR RAM I just feel that politically the UK is in such a mess at the moment. For example, some of my thoughts:

• Why did the Liberal Democrats get such a rough deal from the public after the coalition with the Tories? I know they broke some election promises but there obviously had to be compromises as part of a coalition. IMO they were a caliming influence on the Tories and the country was 'run' better during that time than since as a Tory - DUP coalition.
  • People keep 'banging on about' the EU Referendum but IMO the more important referendum for politics in the UK was the one for changing the voting system. Although the system proposed wasn't great it was IMO a step in the right direction. Where I live, and I know I'm not alone with this, my vote does not count at all, even though they count it, because there is such a large majority for a party which I don't vote for. Votes should not just be important in 'swing seats' in a General Election.
  • Is it OK that flags get 'hijacked' for political means?  Leave voters wave union jack flags and Remain voters the European flag. What do I do as someone who considers themselves as English, British and European? I'm proud to be English, British and European but that does not mean that I think England is better than another country.
  • Why isn't the Labour Party 'streets ahead' in the polls when you consider how inept the current Government is? Surely Labour need to take a stand one way or the other on Europe?
  • Will the people really be gullible enough to vote the Tory Party back in again based on all the promises that have been made since Johnson came in? 

British politics ( and most European politics as well ) has huge parallels with DCFC fans forum. It’s a Chris Martin thread 

Sadly, the voices that get heard are at the extremes. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

British politics ( and most European politics as well ) has huge parallels with DCFC fans forum. It’s a Chris Martin thread 

Sadly, the voices that get heard are at the extremes. 

That depends on what your definition of extreme is.

In the modern day, 'extreme' just seems to have replaced the word 'opposing'.

3 hours ago, bcnram said:

I never cease to be amazed at how politicians and journalists don’t always tell the truth. In the real world like it or not that is what happens. Personally, I think Boris will get things done, a breath of fresh air. Corbyn would take the country into the depths of misery (but like his personality). 

I like your optimism bcnram but not sure why Boris deserves any

16 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

I like your optimism bcnram but not sure why Boris deserves any

? - If a country is drifting along as this one is (and the same goes for companies, football clubs, education establishments etc.) they need some enthusiasm putting into them, people need to see some action. Boris Johnson has been a bit of a rascal in his time, much of which is no real concern.  He will make decisions, he will raise some enthusiasm in many parts of the country. The dreary and downbeats will always be about of course (christ!! there are enough on here), but we can't let them drag the country down.  x

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

That depends on what your definition of extreme is.

In the modern day, 'extreme' just seems to have replaced the word 'opposing'.

I Have to disagree. Extreme as in at the extremities- There is a marked and continuous thread of no compromise from Brexiteers, Former Marxists, moaners, pro and antis on a myriad of issues. The 15-20% of folk belonging to opposing ends (the extremities)  of those groups don’t seek compromises that provide some benefit for all. The voice of the middle 60/70 % is drowned out by those who want what they want regardless. I call that extremism. Or of you prefer, stubborn and selfish ideologues 

Sith Happens
6 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I blame Corbyn. 

To be fair he would be ok considering his ability to walk on water. ?

4 hours ago, jono said:

I Have to disagree. Extreme as in at the extremities- There is a marked and continuous thread of no compromise from Brexiteers, Former Marxists, moaners, pro and antis on a myriad of issues. The 15-20% of folk belonging to opposing ends (the extremities)  of those groups don’t seek compromises that provide some benefit for all. The voice of the middle 60/70 % is drowned out by those who want what they want regardless. I call that extremism. Or of you prefer, stubborn and selfish ideologues 

Still not sure what there is to compromise on? We are still hearing the same drivel that has been spouted from both sides. Still yet to hear any facts, just ridiculous predictions from both sides.

When I see articles like the Guardian article linked earlier in the thread predicting that schools will suffer because teachers may not be able to get to school because of travel chaos, I'm really not sure that I can take anything seriously anymore.

Now Remainers would probably say that makes me an extremist for refusing to believe these predicted scenarios. 

I think pretty much everyone is having their voice heard over Brexit, dont ever remember an issue being so widely discussed before.

As Johnson announced the £1.8bn one off payment to the NHS, that will be used to purchase new equipment and upgrade twenty hospitals. It will be interesting to see which parts of the country will be the beneficiaries of all these wonderful modernised hospitals. Will it be the areas where the hospitals are in most need of immediate funding or will it go to to hospitals that happen to sit within the boundaries of marginal constituencies. If you're going to use money from the fabled magical money tree as a bribe, in readiness for an impending general election. Where would the best place be to spend it.

7 hours ago, 1of4 said:

As Johnson announced the £1.8bn one off payment to the NHS, that will be used to purchase new equipment and upgrade twenty hospitals. It will be interesting to see which parts of the country will be the beneficiaries of all these wonderful modernised hospitals. Will it be the areas where the hospitals are in most need of immediate funding or will it go to to hospitals that happen to sit within the boundaries of marginal constituencies. If you're going to use money from the fabled magical money tree as a bribe, in readiness for an impending general election. Where would the best place be to spend it.

Does it really matter where it is spent.

It's a £1.8bn injection into the NHS.

Remember 'his promise' off the side of the bus that Remainers were so furious about?

I know it's only the equivalent of 5 weeks but it's a nice start hey.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Does it really matter where it is spent.

It's a £1.8bn injection into the NHS.

Remember 'his promise' off the side of the bus that Remainers were so furious about?

I know it's only the equivalent of 5 weeks but it's a nice start hey.

Mmmm yes the much maligned big red bus. Nice to see it's capable of producing money, before we have even left the EU. So where's the next five weeks worth of money going to be spent?

Archived