The Politics Thread 2019

David

6 hours ago, cstand said:

2% as off 2014-2019 during the EU referendum when remainers complained people wanting to leave the EU were racist but never pointed out the EU could be accused of racism themselves due to the low numbers of non white people in the EU parliament.

House of Lords should scrapped.

Not all leave voters were racist but maybe all racist voters voted leave? Certainly the leave vote 'information'  was anti-immigrant. Is there a link? 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

Not all leave voters were racist but maybe all racist voters voted leave? Certainly the leave vote 'information'  was anti-immigrant. Is there a link? 

Wasnt it a bit more nuanced than that?

Farage with his "take back control" from some faceless "they". The ones who don't want you to have any control.

The bit he didn't say was that his burning ambition is to be one of the new "they".

Johnson does say some odd things.  He's getting to sound like the bloke from the fast show who agreed with everyone even if they said the opposite. But Johnson's version seems to be that he says what people want to hear when they are in immediate earshot - even if it's the exact opposite of what he said to someone else previously.

Unlikely to end well 

22 hours ago, cstand said:

The most racist institution is the EU only 2% of the 751 meps are non white, if you are that concerned about racism in other countries why have you or any other of the SJW on this forum never reported this??

Well that's not strictly true is it, even if I cared. In any case, I'm done with the with the whole Brexit piece pal. The argument just goes round and round and gets absolutely nowhere as your posts clearly show. No point in bleating about it really, I'll leave that to you.

On 31/07/2019 at 10:05, McRamFan said:

Boris Johnson.  The last prime minister of the tory party, the last prime minister of the United Kingdom.

Think the United Kingdom has always been a bit of an oxymoron to be fair. As for Johnson, well he's just the moron bit.

19 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Think the United Kingdom has always been a bit of an oxymoron to be fair. As for Johnson, well he's just the moron bit.

Moron or not he's smart enough to make it to the top, which is more than most of us could do.

And we can get rid of him if we want , unlike the various "presidents" of the EU

7 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Moron or not he's smart enough to make it to the top, which is more than most of us could do.

And we can get rid of him if we want , unlike the various "presidents" of the EU

There is no 'President of Europe', but there are a number of presidents of European Union institutions, including:

The President of the European Council (since 1 December 2014, Donald Tusk) - Was elected PM of Poland

The President of the European Commission (since 1 November 2014, Jean-Claude Juncker) - PM of Luxemburg

The President of the European Parliament (since 3 July 2019, David Sassoli) - Italian MEP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_European_Union

You can get rid of them, you just have to convince the other 27 countries that end of the EU is a good idea.

'Remember the Soviet Union when it was all together the Soviet Union, when it was all together before they decided, we got to call ourselves Russia. That was always their dream, to be the biggest in the world. Then it became Russia, and you know what they've done a good job with energy, and so has Saudi Arabia done a good job with energy, but we're now bigger than Russia. We are now bigger than Saudi Arabia by far and I withdrew our country from the job-killing, very expensive Paris climate accord.'

You don't want one of those windmills within vision. You hear them in noise. A lot of problems, no we're going to stay with the great energy that's powering our businesses, that's creating so many jobs  And solar - you know what we'll live with solar, but solar is peanuts by comparison to what you need, but we're going to stay the way we have it. We've ended the war on American energy and we're putting our coal miners back to work and our steel workers back to work and our auto companies back to work.'

That was Trump speaking as his rally in Cincinnati last night.

Apart from his creative interpretation of Russian history, what stood out was his satisfaction with how well his war on the the American and Global environment is going.  Not sure the planet can take 4 more years of Trump. 

3 hours ago, Highgate said:

'Remember the Soviet Union when it was all together the Soviet Union, when it was all together before they decided, we got to call ourselves Russia. That was always their dream, to be the biggest in the world. Then it became Russia, and you know what they've done a good job with energy, and so has Saudi Arabia done a good job with energy, but we're now bigger than Russia. We are now bigger than Saudi Arabia by far and I withdrew our country from the job-killing, very expensive Paris climate accord.'

You don't want one of those windmills within vision. You hear them in noise. A lot of problems, no we're going to stay with the great energy that's powering our businesses, that's creating so many jobs  And solar - you know what we'll live with solar, but solar is peanuts by comparison to what you need, but we're going to stay the way we have it. We've ended the war on American energy and we're putting our coal miners back to work and our steel workers back to work and our auto companies back to work.'

That was Trump speaking as his rally in Cincinnati last night.

Apart from his creative interpretation of Russian history, what stood out was his satisfaction with how well his war on the the American and Global environment is going.  Not sure the planet can take 4 more years of Trump. 

I'm pretty sure it can't. My Mum taught me that liars never prosper. I think she may have been wrong when you look at the state of politics throughout the World today.

4 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

I'm pretty sure it can't. My Mum taught me that liars never prosper. I think she may have been wrong when you look at the state of politics throughout the World today.

Yeah, it seems they definitely do.  Why is that I wonder?   Interestingly, the ancient Greeks ,when they invented democracy, were completely against the notion of a career politician. They felt that allowing people to make a career out of politics would merely attract those who were motivated by self interest which would then destroy democracy from within.  They may have had a point. 

They preferred a system where many people served for a short time, rather like jury duty today. 

Schools may have to close, exams could be disrupted and fresh food for pupils’ meals could run short because of panic buying with prices soaring by up to 20%, according to a secret Department for Education analysis of the risks of a no-deal Brexit obtained by the Observer.

The five-page document – marked “Official Sensitive” and with the instruction “Do Not Circulate” – also raises the possibility of teacher absences caused by travel disruption, citing schools in Kent as particularly at risk.

On the dangers of food shortages to schools, it suggests that informing the public of the risks could make matters even worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/03/secret-education-report-no-deal-brexit-school-chaos

Wonder how our Glorious Liar will respond to this?

I'm starting to think of panic buying soon. 1) to stock up for disaster and 2) start a panic that may cause some of the fundamentalists in power to think again. You don't want to be the last person in town to start panic buying.

Brexit: UK calls on EU to renegotiate or face no deal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49223319

Writing in the Mail on Sunday, Stephen Barclay said "political realities" had changed after May's European elections........................

Irish Taoiseach Leo Varadkar told Mr Johnson this week "the backstop was necessary as a consequence of decisions taken in the UK".

But Mr Barclay said the backstop could mean people in Northern Ireland having EU rules "foisted on them" indefinitely to preserve the open border.

He rejected the UK staying in the customs union and the single market as a solution, saying the border issue should be resolved in future talks on the long-term trading agreement with the EU.

"There is simply no chance of any deal being passed that includes the anti-democratic backstop. This is the reality that the EU has to face," he said.

Remind me Stephen, how did Northern Ireland vote in the EU Referendum? 

'Northern Ireland has voted to remain in the EU Referendum by a majority of 56% to 44%, but the UK as a whole has voted to leave by a narrow margin.' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-36616830

Maybe the people of Northern Ireland are happy to have 'EU rules "foisted on them" indefinitely to preserve the open border'?

28 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

Remind me Stephen, how did Northern Ireland vote in the EU Referendum? 

'Northern Ireland has voted to remain in the EU Referendum by a majority of 56% to 44%, but the UK as a whole has voted to leave by a narrow margin.' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-36616830

Maybe the people of Northern Ireland are happy to have 'EU rules "foisted on them" indefinitely to preserve the open border'?

Close result though. Perhaps they didnt know what they were voting for. Should probably have another peoples vote.

Archived