Derby County v Hull City Match thread.

RadioactiveWaste

Even when winning this place is precious, why can't some people accept people will have their own opinion?! 

Good day at the office for us today, best performance in weeks. Maybe months. First half was very workmanlike but absolute quality from Holmes to unlock Hull for the first. Second half I thought we looked comfortable and played some really good stuff at times. Huddlestone was a joy to watch, as was Bogle. Maybe a rest from the team (Bogle's enforced I know) has done them the world of good, both of them were at it today. 

I thought Zoon was decent. Very Simon Dawkins like but our fans didn't rate him either so not expecting them to rate Zoon. Funny how we all see it, didn't think Bryson was too good. Loads of effort and closing down and hassling which I appreciate but not a lot else, just ok? Waggy was class obviously. Hull were ok, looked dodgy at the back but they had players missing so expected really. They had 2 pretty easy chances and a couple more good opportunities but thankfully missed them all, on another day we might not be sitting here all smug! That's the Championship for you though. 

Crowd were good second half. South Stand tried to get it going first half but the other 20k fans weren't interested. 

Hopefully we can build on it, good chance to get back to back wins with Ipswich up on Tuesday. 

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I thought that was one of our better performances of the season today. I’m not saying it was the full shilling, but looked good all over the park. It helps knowing we have Mount and Marriott to come back. 

Roos - 8; Bogle - 8, Keogh - 8, Tomori - 8, Malone - 7; Bryson - 5, Huddlestone - 8, Holmes - 7; Wilson - 6, Waghorn - 8, Jozefzoon - 7. 

Bennett and King did well with what time they had, although the former was rather erratic. 

You’ve given Bryson two fewer points than Josefzoon? Were you watching from the City Ground?

55 minutes ago, 86 points said:

What? 23 pages, no hand-wringers or armchair experts sermonising on what Frank got wrong and how poor our players are? Well, apart from Captain Premature of course, but I think folk are used to that now. I guess giving credit to the team and management when warranted ain't as appealing as slagging them off, huh! 

My thoughts exactly, just that you beat me to it. Last weekend there were a few who had things to say. Tonight the silence is deafening!!! Credit where credits due and all that. Obviously not!!!

19 minutes ago, jono said:

I’m finding the Bryson discourse interesting. He didn’t stand out at all to me today but that is Bryson. So much of the time you don’t easily see what he does off the ball, filling gaps, covering and so on. He isn’t a stand out player these days but he is still liquid engineering. He’s still got it as a player but just maybe the hard-edge isn’t quite there. Contrast this with Holmes who for me is Bryson unpolished but with youth in the tank and great feet. 

Yes, that’s exactly it. He doesn’t stand out because he doesn’t do spectacular passes or dribble around five players. But he was everywhere today, constantly moving into space and giving other players options. He had a fantastic game.

2 hours ago, Topram said:

Bryson 8 thought he was brilliant chased everything 

This is where I get to sometimes when I find myself wondering if I've watched a different game to other Derby fans. (and I mean that with no disrespect at all!)

Yes, he chased everything today. Won the ball back a few times but not so much so that I found myself thinking "Corr, he's having a really good game."

He's still poor in possession. Passes either immediately backwards or sideways and often doesn't play "forward-thinking" passes for other players to run on to or ones which open up the game for us to attack.

Again, I'll go back to what I was saying last week. I would like to see Evans in over Bryson, to purely fulfil the role of winning the ball back, freeing up some of the defensive responsibility from Huddlestone. This might free up Holmes to attack more aswell.

Feel like I'm being pretty harsh to one of my favourite players here but I just don't see what he's bringing to this side nowadays, and I feel like we were saying that two years ago...

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Again, I'll go back to what I was saying last week. I would like to see Evans in over Bryson, to purely fulfil the role of winning the ball back, freeing up some of the defensive responsibility from Huddlestone. This might free up Holmes to attack more aswell.

Or King now?

For me Bryson brings an energy to the game that no other Derby player can.

He does a hell of a lot of the donkey work that others don't want to or can't do and covers the ground that it would take 2 players to do if he were replaced. 

He doesn't play glory balls or do the flash stuff, but others can try that stuff becausde of the unselfish work Bryson does.

But that's just my opinion. 

Good, solid victory.

In some ways one of our more complete performances this season. We didn’t blow the doors off but we were in control for the whole game with pretty much everyone playing well.

Good to see a lack of bedwetting as well. Shame they can’t come on and give the team the credit they deserve!

This thread would have been at 50+ pages already if we’d have lost.

30 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

This is where I get to sometimes when I find myself wondering if I've watched a different game to other Derby fans. (and I mean that with no disrespect at all!)

Yes, he chased everything today. Won the ball back a few times but not so much so that I found myself thinking "Corr, he's having a really good game."

He's still poor in possession. Passes either immediately backwards or sideways and often doesn't play "forward-thinking" passes for other players to run on to or ones which open up the game for us to attack.

Feel like I'm being pretty harsh to one of my favourite players here but I just don't see what he's bringing to this side nowadays, and I feel like we were saying that two years ago...

He does the stuff other players won’t do, the nitty gritty stuff. He isn’t going to do what all fans want but he does what the team needs 

32 minutes ago, ossieram said:

For me Bryson brings an energy to the game that no other Derby player can.

He does a hell of a lot of the donkey work that others don't want to or can't do and covers the ground that it would take 2 players to do if he were replaced. 

He doesn't play glory balls or do the flash stuff, but others can try that stuff becausde of the unselfish work Bryson does.

But that's just my opinion. 

Seems to be franks opinion as well and he wasn’t a bad midfielder 

18 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Bryson's never been great in possession but he does more than any of our midfielders in knitting things together and creating space so others can play - rarely eye-catching except when he was at his best linking with Martin. I thought MOTM was a close run thing between Waghorn and Huddlestone but Tom was given the time and space to spray passes to all corners of the pitch in a large part through the efforts of Bryson.

I thought we were very solid today, with Huddlestone playing over Evans and Waghorn playing upfront over Nugent making a  big difference to the team.  Back to back clean sheets is very encouraging , and with Cole , King , Mount and Marrriot to come into the team, things are looking pretty promising.  It was also extra important we won today, as Bristol city and Forest won so we needed the 3 point badly for a play off push, we might have a small bit of hope of top 2 if we can put a run of 4 or 5 wins together.

43 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I didn't think he was poor in possession today, rather neat and tidy.

He's rarely been the man to play a defence splitting pass, but he's often the man who makes a defence splitting run which gives the room for others to play in, and he did that we'll today.

Not eye catching, but important for the teams performance.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

This is where I get to sometimes when I find myself wondering if I've watched a different game to other Derby fans.

Probably because half of those commenting, haven't even seen the match ?

I enjoyed today particularly because there was time to watch individuals as much as passages of play. And i’m In the mood for positives.

I’m beginning to really like Malone. He’s got real grit and when he gets it right can whip in a bendy low ball. I felt sorry for him with his 2 chances .. one he gave to Waggy on a hat trick and the other the goalie covered well. Add in his willingness to pair with another player on the flank as he did with Mason and I think we’ve got a proper footballer with a brain.

Still loving Holmes. He really can do everything. Tackle, run, play passes, beat a man and shoot. I hope with the right coaching he will improve even more and we might have a late flowering (ish) gem on our hands

Tomori’s heading is improving (it needed to) has such fantastic pace and a great touch, a couple of tackles were so so classy. He isn’t finished by a long shot but Chelsea have a real talent in the making. 

Waghorn cant quite hold a ball up like Martin but his movement and reactions are great to watch as is his gutsy running. Add in exceptional composure under pressure and the future is bright 

Keogh .. when will the detractors kindly put a sock in it. He reads the game very well, another clean sheet and a performance full of leadership. We are 7th but have the 5th meanest defence in the league .. I wonder why ! 

Roos .. he is sharp, very sharp. Quick off the mark and his distribution is good. Very happy for him that he has stepped up so competently 

Right then .. let’s show the tractor boys how to plough a field ?????

5 minutes ago, jono said:

I enjoyed today particularly because there was time to watch individuals as much as passages of play. And i’m In the mood for positives.

I’m beginning to really like Malone. He’s got real grit and when he gets it right can whip in a bendy low ball. I felt sorry for him with his 2 chances .. one he gave to Waggy on a hat trick and the other the goalie covered well. Add in his willingness to pair with another player on the flank as he did with Mason and I think we’ve got a proper footballer with a brain.

Still loving Holmes. He really can do everything. Tackle, run, play passes, beat a man and shoot. I hope with the right coaching he will improve even more and we might have a late flowering (ish) gem on our hands

Tomori’s heading is improving (it needed to) has such fantastic pace and a great touch, a couple of tackles were so so classy. He isn’t finished by a long shot but Chelsea have a real talent in the making. 

Waghorn cant quite hold a ball up like Martin but his movement and reactions are great to watch as is his gutsy running. Add in exceptional composure under pressure and the future is bright 

Keogh .. when will the detractors kindly put a sock in it. He reads the game very well, another clean sheet and a performance full of leadership. We are 7th but have the 5th meanest defence in the league .. I wonder why ! 

Roos .. he is sharp, very sharp. Quick off the mark and his distribution is good. Very happy for him that he has stepped up so competently 

Right then .. let’s show the tractor boys how to plough a field ?????

For me Tomori produced the moment of the match when he chased, caught up and slide tackled the opponent ...Colin Todd-seque. 

Brilliant piece of football by a classy footballer. 

Archived