Doesn’t look like we’re getting a centre back

DCFC27

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, wombatram said:

So... are we really that short?

In terms of quality most likely yes, quantity no. I doubt any of the 3 apart from Keogh and Tomori would be good enough for a promotion chasing team, CB is not their main position for a reason.  If Keogh and Tomori get injured/ suspended  at the same time we are absolutely ducked .It would be ducking typical if we got ourselves into a top 2 position/ in the play offs with a good chance of winning come April , then we get injuries at the back and that costs us promotion.  I really hope we get some luck with injuries as with no quality back up at CB we could be in trouble defensively if things go against us. letting Pearce go could prove very costly.

7 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I doubt any of the 3 apart from Keogh and Tomori would be good enough for a promotion chasing team, CB is not their main position for a reason. 

Wisdom won the Austrian top division 2 seasons ago as a centre back. Went through the Liverpool academy as a centre back, if anything with Wisdom we have been playing him out of position. 

13 minutes ago, rynny said:

Wisdom won the Austrian top division 2 seasons ago as a centre back. Went through the Liverpool academy as a centre back, if anything with Wisdom we have been playing him out of position. 

It would be interesting to see if we could play him CB with Tomori right back , with Tomori playing as a right back while on loan at Hull . Wisdom doesn't strike me as a player with good heading ability though , and that is very important against a lot of teams in the championship.

3 hours ago, wombatram said:

LB = cole, malone or Johnson

RB = Bogle, Wisdom or holmes

CB = Keogh, Tomori, Wisdom, Huddlestone, Evans

This seems just fine to me. Would I like another tried and true CB in, yes. But I struggle to see how folks seem to think the teams chances have become so dire, because we haven’t (yet) secured the services of extra cover at CB. 

To the folks that seem crushed by the team not picking up a CB (yet), could you please help me understand? 

Do you truly think our chances of promotion are dashed, because of the above? If so, I don’t understand that decision making paradigm. 

12 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I for one am relishing the opportunity of seeing us win the play-off final with a back four of

Bogle Wisdom Malone Cole

We'll just have to outscore For**t in the final if that's the case then. Cavalier football all the way!

6 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

It would be interesting to see if we could play him CB with Tomori right back , with Tomori playing as a right back while on loan at Hull . Wisdom doesn't strike me as a player with good heading ability though , and that is very important against a lot of teams in the championship.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen Wisdom head the ball, he seems to get under it, let it bounce then try and strength his way out of trouble. Panics me every time.

8 hours ago, CHCDerby said:

I didnt say you had slated a player, I said you would as soon as they wasn't fitting the bill.

If there's no players to buy, what would you like the club to do?

Strike a loan deal as West Brom, Villa and Forest have done and Fulham did very succesfully last season.

8 hours ago, rynny said:

You are right, they should be aiming for mid table. Have you heard of financial fair play (FFP)? This limits a clubs spending, we are close to our limit, hence limiting our options of who we could buy/bring in.

Mel does not want to sell the club.

How do you know? Are you Mel's business adviser? There isn't much dead wood to go. Ledley's contract has been cancelled, Butterfield and Thorne are out on loan -though I accept Derby are likely to be paying some of their wages-the only player left who doesn't play is Anya. We have have very little cover at centre half and could do with another striker..

3 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Strike a loan deal as West Brom, Villa and Forest have done and Fulham did very succesfully last season.

We might not have had the money to finance a loan deal as everyone wants a loan fee, Frank has cleared the decks and with players out of contract in the summer we should be able to hit the ground running signing players that Frank wants.

The CB situation isn't ideal but its not the end of the world

11 minutes ago, Saity said:

We might not have had the money to finance a loan deal as everyone wants a loan fee, Frank has cleared the decks and with players out of contract in the summer we should be able to hit the ground running signing players that Frank wants.

The CB situation isn't ideal but its not the end of the world

Frank said that signing a centre half was the priority. With Ledley gone, Pearce, Butterfield and Thorne out on loan there was surely enough financial space to sign someone. The only option is a free agent on a short term deal.In which case why let Pearce go in the first instance?

Archived