Doesn’t look like we’re getting a centre back

DCFC27

10 hours ago, Harrowram said:

Working on it?. All we had to do is pick the phone up and ask Ipswich whether they were prepared to release tPennington on loan from Everton from his season loan with them. They have said no irrespective of what the player and Everton might want. Job done! Takes 5 minutes.

I imagine that is exactly how it works too.

Bet we are kicking ourselves that we never thought to ask.

Now transfer window is shut, don't suppose you are available to assist with Brexit negotiations are you?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

I imagine that is exactly how it works too.

Bet we are kicking ourselves that we never thought to ask.

Now transfer window is shut, don't suppose you are available to assist with Brexit negotiations are you?

Three parties had to agree to Pennington's departure from Ipswich. Why rely on a complicated and difficult deal for your priority signing and why leave it to the last minute?

3 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

It does seem peculiar that we would allow our cover CB to go out on loan for the remainder of the season then not source a replacement after many statements that a CB is a priority afterwards, something doesn't stack up somewhere.....

Its called life.If being a manager was as easy as fans think do you think clubs would pay them the money that they do?

7 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Frank said that signing a centre half was the priority. With Ledley gone, Pearce, Butterfield and Thorne out on loan there was surely enough financial space to sign someone. The only option is a free agent on a short term deal.In which case why let Pearce go in the first instance?

Yes he did say that but we don't know the ins and outs of everything , how do we know what goes on behind the scenes i don't suppose its as simplistic as we might think, for example was anyone aware the we nearly signed King in the summer but couldn't get it over the line for some reason ? but could  in Jan but was still last min.

If Frank has not wanted to sign someone because he doesn't see that player as an upgrade on what we have or if financially it wasn't right for us then i say fair enough but as i said we don't really know all of the facts but i'm sure if the deal was right we would've signed a CB, frustrating as it is just got to get on with it and there is a few free agents floating about who could sit on the bench 

14 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

It does seem peculiar that we would allow our cover CB to go out on loan for the remainder of the season then not source a replacement after many statements that a CB is a priority afterwards, something doesn't stack up somewhere.....

You would think so, but then you have to realise Pearce literally never plays, still isn't playing for Milwall and isn't actually very good... so for the one or two necessary games we may need cover for, we can get around it with Wisdom, Huddlestone, Evans or one of the promising youngsters.

Think there has to be a realisation about three important factors here...

1. We are up against FFP, if we hadn't already noticed. Hopefully getting shut of a few players on big wages through this season and in the coming summer will allow us to reset somewhat, and maybe then we can begin to see a few fees go around. None of this can be blamed on Frank Lampard, and I wouldn't even begin to blame it on Mel Morris. Only thing he is guilty of is supporting some questionable managerial hires, and Sam Rush.
  2. January is a horrible time to do business, and it seems to have been worse across the board this year. Very few teams have done much. You want Sam Vokes for £9m?! So what our friends down the road have spaffed money on players who O'Neill has probably never heard of... we've been there (Abdoul Camara anyone?), and they can be very expensive mistakes and lead you to where we are now.
  3. This summer is going to be quite exciting with a turnover of players, and you'll truly see what Frank has in store. There'll be a big issue of replacing the quality loans we have this year with similar players, but everything around them on a permanent basis is likely to be new.

34 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

The season falling apart because we have let Alex Pearce go , ive heard it all now , ffs get a grip , the guy hasnt played any football for us this season , now hes suddenly pivotal to our promotion hopes

Still a stupid thing to do though, when he was the only recognised cover. 

54 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

How do you know? Are you Mel's business adviser? There isn't much dead wood to go. Ledley's contract has been cancelled, Butterfield and Thorne are out on loan -though I accept Derby are likely to be paying some of their wages-the only player left who doesn't play is Anya. We have have very little cover at centre half and could do with another striker..

Because when the accounts are released it shows our profit/loss and it is at the edge of what we able to lose to comply with FFP. 

Ledley's contract was cancelled minutes before the window closed according to the club, not exactly a lot of time to do something. Butterfield left and King came in. Thorne and Pearce left Cole came in. The chances are we will be paying most of Thorne's and Butterfield's wages, so again not given a lot to use.

It isn't ideal, but it isn't through lack of trying, however we are able to bring in an out of contract defender in. 

On Pearce, Lampard's comments on why he left are refreshing, and gives a bit of pride that we look after our player's needs. Especially after some have criticised the way we have handled some of the others that aren't wanted. 

13 minutes ago, rynny said:

Because when the accounts are released it shows our profit/loss and it is at the edge of what we able to lose to comply with FFP. 

Ledley's contract was cancelled minutes before the window closed according to the club, not exactly a lot of time to do something. Butterfield left and King came in. Thorne and Pearce left Cole came in. The chances are we will be paying most of Thorne's and Butterfield's wages, so again not given a lot to use.

It isn't ideal, but it isn't through lack of trying, however we are able to bring in an out of contract defender in. 

On Pearce, Lampard's comments on why he left are refreshing, and gives a bit of pride that we look after our player's needs. Especially after some have criticised the way we have handled some of the others that aren't wanted. 

I agree with what u say mate 

I just feel a little underwhelmed and possibly short changed as a season ticket holder

trust me I’m as level headed as any one when it comes to the club throwing money around they haven’t got and much prefer a shrewd  careful approach 

but can’t help feel we’ve left ourselves Remarkably short at the back going into what is currently a play off hunt 

yes wisdom and Evans can play there, doesn’t mean they’ll be any good there when we get to the business end of things. 

I appreciate the club by all accounts tried, just a little disappointed that’s all 

maybe the kids we’ve got are better than we know, but as we all know u don’t win anything with kids ? 

First off, forcing Pearce to see out his contract playing with the U23s just because we're scared of a CB maybe getting injured is an incredibly harsh way to treat a player who's been nothing but a consummate professional in his time at a club that, all things considered, he probably regrets joining.

Secondly, signing a CB who wasn't good enough just to appease the masses, even though playing someone we have to fill-in would be better, would be a waste of money at a time where we really cannot afford to waste any money.

Thirdly, if one of Keogh or Tomori does get injured - we'll just promote Max Hunt and he'll never leave the first team again. ? 

16 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Huge misjudgement by Lampard and Mel here

And I love them both, think Mels the best owner weve ever had and Lampard the best manager since Burley

Statement one. We don't know anything from behind the scenes.

Statement 2. Better than McClarens first season? Better than Billy Davies first? Not a chance.

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I agree with what u say mate 

I just feel a little underwhelmed and possibly short changed as a season ticket holder

trust me I’m as level headed as any one when it comes to the club throwing money around they haven’t got and much prefer a shrewd  careful approach 

but can’t help feel we’ve left ourselves Remarkably short at the back going into what is currently a play off hunt 

yes wisdom and Evans can play there, doesn’t mean they’ll be any good there when we get to the business end of things. 

I appreciate the club by all accounts tried, just a little disappointed that’s all 

maybe the kids we’ve got are better than we know, but as we all know u don’t win anything with kids ? 

I get what you saying but for me this season is there to be fun, go out and enjoy it and see where we end up. If we reach the play offs, great, if we go up it will be unbelievable. If we finish outside the play offs, fine, it will be disappointing when we have been in the play offs for so long. However at the start of the season I said I would be happy if we reduce the age of the squad, bring in youth team players, and play better football than last season. For me we have done that. We have had the added bonus of 2 cup runs, beat Prem teams on the way, including a win at Old Trafford.

The window may not have brought in exactly what we all wanted but it was a start. 

9 hours ago, Malagaram said:

Is Andy King who we have taken on loan from Leicester any good.?

I would class him as an all round midfielder, something we have been lacking. A midfield 3 of Huddlestone/Evans King and Mount will cover all areas of the game.

King can attack and defend, He is a good player at this level and a very good professional by all accounts. He will help the team and players around him like Mount. 

19 minutes ago, rynny said:

I get what you saying but for me this season is there to be fun, go out and enjoy it and see where we end up. If we reach the play offs, great, if we go up it will be unbelievable. If we finish outside the play offs, fine, it will be disappointing when we have been in the play offs for so long. However at the start of the season I said I would be happy if we reduce the age of the squad, bring in youth team players, and play better football than last season. For me we have done that. We have had the added bonus of 2 cup runs, beat Prem teams on the way, including a win at Old Trafford.

The window may not have brought in exactly what we all wanted but it was a start. 

I don’t classify losing to forest at their place or another play-off heartbreak as fun lol

I know what ur saying bud, and agree to an extent 

we knew this season was a little bit of a rebuild / gimme for frank to get the club sorted and that is exactly what he’s doing, and pretty tidily I have to say 

just when your sat firmly in the play off picture when u know the team has plenty more to give u kinda think why not go for it 

but I suppose we’ve done that before hence why were cutting our cloth now 

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I don’t classify losing to forest at their place or another play-off heartbreak as fun lol

I know what ur saying bud, and agree to an extent 

we knew this season was a little bit of a rebuild / gimme for frank to get the club sorted and that is exactly what he’s doing, and pretty tidily I have to say 

just when your sat firmly in the play off picture when u know the team has plenty more to give u kinda think why not go for it 

but I suppose we’ve done that before hence why were cutting our cloth now 

The other thing is with FFP the sanctions can be very severe, there has even been talk that it could include a points deduction. Imagine how bad it would be if we miss out on the play offs because of a points deduction, that would be the worst scenario on missing out for me. 

Just now, rynny said:

The other thing is with FFP the sanctions can be very severe, there has even been talk that it could include a points deduction. Imagine how bad it would be if we miss out on the play offs because of a points deduction, that would be the worst scenario on missing out for me. 

oh for god's sake stop with the sensible posts will you!  We all know we don't have a pot to **** in and Mel was too tight to splash the cash no matter how many times we are confronted with the factual problem

Archived