FA Cup Round 5 Opponents

Poynton ram

12 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Literally no way of making the journey on public transport reliably, either.

The South coast line to Brighton seems to be ok. So could do Derby to London, change to Waterloo, jump on Portsmouth train and change somewhere like havant. 

It's a bit of a long way round mind.....

I do sympathise. 16th Feb is the 1st day of a 9 day closure of the London to Brighton mainline for major upgrades.....no coordination ?

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

The South coast line to Brighton seems to be ok. So could do Derby to London, change to Waterloo, jump on Portsmouth train and change somewhere like havant. 

It's a bit of a long way round mind.....

I do sympathise. 16th Feb is the 1st day of a 9 day closure of the London to Brighton mainline for major upgrades.....no coordination ?

We've got our auntie coming to visit that weekend from Southampton.

I had the idea we'd reverse the journey, drop the missus off in Southampton first then nip off to the match, and come back.

Then checked Google, be just as quick going from Derby than Southampton!

In my experience the replacement bus times they put up are basically nonsense. You get off the train at Three Bridges, there's a load of buses in the station car park, you get on and off it goes. They fill up quickly and don't sit around waiting to leave to a timetable.

They have direct buses and stopping services. Jump on the direct service, it's straight onto the A23 down to Brighton. You'd never choose to do it but it's not that bad really. It's such a common scenario they know exactly what they're doing. Looks like they have buses to Lewes too, so you could potentially get a bus to Lewes and then get the train from Lewes to Falmer.

The match tickets include (on the day) free travel on public transport from Haywards Heath. You'd probably get away with buying only to Three Bridges tbh as I can't say I've ever had ticket checked when getting onto the buses. I don't think it saves much but worth being aware of. 

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/siteassets/201819-images/1819-guides/away-fan-guide.pdf

6 minutes ago, SimonBHA said:

In my experience the replacement bus times they put up are basically nonsense. You get off the train at Three Bridges, there's a load of buses in the station car park, you get on and off it goes. They fill up quickly and don't sit around waiting to leave to a timetable.

They have direct buses and stopping services. Jump on the direct service, it's straight onto the A23 down to Brighton. You'd never choose to do it but it's not that bad really. It's such a common scenario they know exactly what they're doing. Looks like they have buses to Lewes too, so you could potentially get a bus to Lewes and then get the train from Lewes to Falmer.

The match tickets include (on the day) free travel on public transport from Haywards Heath. You'd probably get away with buying only to Three Bridges tbh as I can't say I've ever had ticket checked when getting onto the buses. I don't think it saves much but worth being aware of. 

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/siteassets/201819-images/1819-guides/travel-guide.pdf

What a faff

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

We've got our auntie coming to visit that weekend from Southampton.

I had the idea we'd reverse the journey, drop the missus off in Southampton first then nip off to the match, and come back.

Then checked Google, be just as quick going from Derby than Southampton!

Yes, I had that bright idea a few years back when stupidly offered to pick up and drop off my son, who lived in Pompey at the time.

Opening day of the season with all the holiday traffic as well. 

9 hours ago, sawley_ram said:

Cheapest way I found was £67 return. It does involve 3 changes though. I'll post if anybody was looking for a way. Megabus and National Express were stupid prices...

Get the train from Derby to St. Pancras at 06:29 (arrives at 08:22), then get the 08:50 to Three Bridges (arrives at 09:39). Then get the 09:45 to Hassocks (arrives at 10:37), then the 10:47 to Brighton arriving in Brighton at 11:07. There are bus replacements in the last two legs.

Hope this helps... Few tinnies on the train, not too early a start and plenty of time to get to the ground (either bus or train to Falmer station just outside the ground). Bit of a ball ache but that's the best I could find if not getting Roadrider or driving. 

A train leaves London Victoria at 9:06 am and takes two hours plus on a roundabout route to Brighton station. Then shuttle train to Falmer.

Trains are shocking (like Accrington Stanley!) with slow journeys part way and rail replacement buses. How can this be allowed on a match day?

But for @Perseus, @sawley_ramand @SimonBHAtalking about the routes, if you're coming into St Pancras the best way is to get the "secret" Thameslink train from there that goes right through London from north to south, normally straight down to Brighton.

• There's one leaving St Pancras platform A at 9.20 which gets to Three Bridges at 10.09.
  • Take the replacement bus from Three Bridges at 10.32 arriving Lewes at 11.17.
  • Then Lewes has regular short trains to Falmer - there's one at 11.21 arriving at 11.28.
  • Falmer Station is a 2-minute walk to the ground.

As Simon says, in practice the replacement to Lewes isn't going to sit around at Three Bridges once it's full, so you hopefully will leave and arrive quicker.

The 7.31 from Derby gets into St Pancras at 9.11. You go straight down the escalator, double back on yourself and run straight on to the Thameslink entrance (which is basically underneath the East Midlands Trains platforms - I think the Thameslink platforms are a further two floors down). It's cutting it fine but would make it a 4-hour trip. all in without any faff of trying to get across London to one of the southern stations.

8 hours ago, ram59 said:

Yes, I had that bright idea a few years back when stupidly offered to pick up and drop off my son, who lived in Pompey at the time.

Opening day of the season with all the holiday traffic as well. 

That would be a particularly nasty experience. The A27 is very poor in general. 

My optimism has been punctured as I've discovered it's 2 hours 12 mins by train for me. And that's 63 miles......mind, they have recently modernised the service....?

1057.jpg

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

All games are on tv. No need to announce the days/times until all of the fixtures were known.

All but 1 of the ties are on tv. 

Wimbledon/Millwall wasn’t picked.

Swansea/Brentford is being televised but only on BBC Wales and maybe the BBC’s website.

So Burnley beat them 3-1 yesterday. They have Leicester in the league a week on Tuesday and they hover just 3 points above the relegation places.

Could yesterday's result mean a weakened Brighton team is put out?

I think it certainly rules out Grandad Murray starting anyway.

2 hours ago, Norman said:

So Burnley beat them 3-1 yesterday. They have Leicester in the league a week on Tuesday and they hover just 3 points above the relegation places.

Could yesterday's result mean a weakened Brighton team is put out?

I think it certainly rules out Grandad Murray starting anyway.

I watched it on MOTD last night and bloody hell Tom Heaton was unreal, Brighton should of scored 2/3, they struggled defending 

Archived