Watchable telly

dog

Very late to the party, but giving Ted Lasso a go. 3 episodes in and so far it appears the one joke is that the English have different words for stuff than the Yanks, and the football parts are excruciatingly naff. Almost like watching Murphy's Mob in the 80s

6 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

Me and her were in Lorete de Mar back in the mid 80s, Met a couple from Annesley, He was a miner at the Colliery, So I asked what was his story, He said they had just taken a vote(show of hands)to support the Yorks miners, As they were leaving the canteen coach loads of Yorks miners turned up and threatened/persuade them to support the strike, Words were exchanged, All went back to the canteen and they took another vote...2-1 to to carry on working.

I understand the Ollerton miners in the programme when they said "Ollerton miners had a mind of their own" I'm pretty sure 🤷‍♂️ I'd have done the same 😬 

Any danger you could start a dedicated thread for this discussion? We're way off topic here.

We finished True Detective last night and left a bit meh tbh. Mrs Badger was a bigger fan than me.

I said in an earlier post that I just couldn't warm to Jodie Foster as an actor, but I'm now wondering if it's because she's just not very good.

6.5/10 for me and nothing like as good as Fargo.

SPOILER COMING

I thought the plotline of the lad killing his dad and then calmly mopping up blood and wrapping his body was all a bit silly. It's not like they even hated each other. He'd have been a total wreck.

And whereas they were right to hate the scientists, to torture and murder them was a tad harsh when they always had a much greater good in mind. Plus, would a cop have just left it there? I dunno.

The Soviet Union 100th Anniversary on PBS 3 parts.

Watching the 1st episode, 1922 Red October to Barbarossa, Just to echo @Crewton take on Russia and how cheap life is, Millions killed through Stalin's mistrust of his friends and associates...Yes life is very cheap in Russia 😬  

On 21/02/2024 at 15:48, Stive Pesley said:

Very late to the party, but giving Ted Lasso a go. 3 episodes in and so far it appears the one joke is that the English have different words for stuff than the Yanks, and the football parts are excruciatingly naff. Almost like watching Murphy's Mob in the 80s

I gave up after a few episodes.

At least Murphy's Mob had the advantage of being partly filmed at the Baseball Ground.

20 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

We finished True Detective last night and left a bit meh tbh. Mrs Badger was a bigger fan than me.

I said in an earlier post that I just couldn't warm to Jodie Foster as an actor, but I'm now wondering if it's because she's just not very good.

6.5/10 for me and nothing like as good as Fargo.

SPOILER COMING

I thought the plotline of the lad killing his dad and then calmly mopping up blood and wrapping his body was all a bit silly. It's not like they even hated each other. He'd have been a total wreck.

And whereas they were right to hate the scientists, to torture and murder them was a tad harsh when they always had a much greater good in mind. Plus, would a cop have just left it there? I dunno.

I finished it last night - thoroughly underwhelming in the end.

Basically 4 episodes of not a huge amount happening after the initial excitement and then rush about for the final two trying to tidy it all up - as for Jodie, she was the least convincing actor in the whole thing. Acted off the screen by Fiona Shaw - and she was only in it for about 20 minutes in the whole series....

Perhaps if I hadn't previously watched Fortitude I may have warmed to it more - but True Detective was so second rate in comparison....

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

I finished it last night - thoroughly underwhelming in the end.

Basically 4 episodes of not a huge amount happening after the initial excitement and then rush about for the final two trying to tidy it all up - as for Jodie, she was the least convincing actor in the whole thing. Acted off the screen by Fiona Shaw - and she was only in it for about 20 minutes in the whole series....

Perhaps if I hadn't previously watched Fortitude I may have warmed to it more - but True Detective was so second rate in comparison....

I wouldn’t have minded but they hyped up TD for months!

We found ourselves zoning out for long periods.

Quite enjoyed Alice and Jack. Domhnall Gleeson and Andrea Riseborough excellent as the pair fated to be together in spite of her attachment issues. Rather improbable at times but a good tale which I got caught up in. Interesting that this came out at the same time as the excellent One Day.

Nice to see romantic drama about true love in a world currently dominated by dross like Love Island.