Watchable telly

dog

12 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

I rewatched The Tourist over the last week and forgotten how brilliant it was with all the plot twists and reveals, and how it ended. 

Was looking forward to series 2, so sounds like I will be disappointed 😕

Thought s1 was a wannabe Fargo that was almost great, but dissapointing at the end. Like it was trying a bit too hard.

Sort of pleased s2 has been panned. No need to watch it now and worry about having the same frustrations! 😃

On 09/01/2024 at 08:11, Mostyn6 said:

based on several posts in here, I finally got around to watching KIN on BBC iPlayer.

Whilst it's my kind of programme, has a cracking cast, and I did enjoy it, I cannot help but think they missed something.

I cannot quite put my finger on it. Maybe they kept it too insular/isolated and needed to expand it more to make it at least feel more authentic and realistic. Posters compared it to Gomorrah, but Gomorrah was believable, you felt like that was actually happening on some rough estates a few miles away, and we need to stay away from there! Whereas I felt in Kin, it was such a small world, that it didn't feel that they could be believably successful criminal organisations. I feel they kept the production costs limited which in turn forced you to make assumptions about things, and then to bring an influential characters in that you've never heard mentioned, with no back story, seemed a bit disjointed.

I will watch S2 I reckon, but it's gone nowhere near my top 10, maybe not even my top 20.

Colin Kazim-Richards/10

That's a shame Mostyn, i realy thought you would enjoy Kin as i know you are a huge fan of most of the stuff i watch.  All I will say is season 2 is better than season 1 imo though the points you raise probably still apply but it has not spoiled my enjoyment. 

Anyone else watched Shrinking on AppleTV?

About a therapist who has a breakdown after losing his wife and starts to be brutally honest with his patients. Harrison Ford plays the elder partner in the therapy firm and is excellent in it. 

2 hours ago, NottsRam said:

That's a shame Mostyn, i realy thought you would enjoy Kin as i know you are a huge fan of most of the stuff i watch.  All I will say is season 2 is better than season 1 imo though the points you raise probably still apply but it has not spoiled my enjoyment. 

I did enjoy it. Read my post again. 

Good call by @hales300k with Love/Hate on ITVX, it's pretty good and I can see how it will get better.

Irish gangland stuff along the lines of Gomorrah, Top Boy etc.

It's interesting seeing Frank from Kin ten years younger but playing a very similar character.

Has anybody else seen this? It came out when we were in the US, so I'd never heard of it.

17 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Good call by @hales300k with Love/Hate on ITVX, it's pretty good and I can see how it will get better.

Irish gangland stuff along the lines of Gomorrah, Top Boy etc.

It's interesting seeing Frank from Kin ten years younger but playing a very similar character.

Has anybody else seen this? It came out when we were in the US, so I'd never heard of it.

Next on the list after Kin which I will finish today. 

On 12/01/2024 at 18:50, Anag Ram said:

Just watched it. Great fun. Back to its best.

Loved it initially but felt each series got a bit worse...but I'm going to give it another go.

On that theme, I'm determined to finish Ted Lasso - but it's not easy. 

It was always a bit naff...but also funny and warm. This last season is taking me a few goes, as it's just clunky and has boring storylines (with lots of painful moralising)...and ultimately much worse - its just not funny. 

7 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Loved it initially but felt each series got a bit worse...but I'm going to give it another go.

It was always a bit naff...but also funny and warm. This last season is taking me a few goes, as it's just clunky and has boring storylines (with lots of painful moralising)...and ultimately much worse - its just not funny. 

I got fed up with Ted Lasso too.

Fargo 5 is terrific stuff. All of the usual kookiness but with domestic violence at its core.

Great writing, great characters and great acting, especially from Juno Temple from Ted Lasso 😊

Jon Hamm is terrifying as a sheriff who thumps bibles and wives with equal relish.

9 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I recommended Shrinking a couple of pages back - I think that's by the same people that did Ted Lasso. It's not got much sport in it, but it is funny

Just watched all 11 seasons of Walking dead. Thoroughly enjoyed it. There was a bit of a lull in quality and i imagine it lost a few people during that time as i couldnt imagine waiting a week to watch nothing happen 🤣 But the beauty of streaming is i can watch everything back to back. Currently just aying a break from it and watching fool me once on netflix but then ill be watching the spin off series + Fear of the walking dead 

2 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

Just watched all 11 seasons of Walking dead. Thoroughly enjoyed it. There was a bit of a lull in quality and i imagine it lost a few people during that time as i couldnt imagine waiting a week to watch nothing happen 🤣 But the beauty of streaming is i can watch everything back to back. Currently just aying a break from it and watching fool me once on netflix but then ill be watching the spin off series + Fear of the walking dead 

Dead City is good. Daryl up to e3 so far. Youtube has them. Decent also. Not seen Fear yet.

On 14/01/2024 at 07:05, Anag Ram said:

I got fed up with Ted Lasso too.

Fargo 5 is terrific stuff. All of the usual kookiness but with domestic violence at its core.

Great writing, great characters and great acting, especially from Juno Temple from Ted Lasso 😊

Jon Hamm is terrifying as a sheriff who thumps bibles and wives with equal relish.

Ted Lasso fell off a cliff. First series was good, second, mediocre, third just more of the second but not quite as funny. At least the first 4 episodes because that is all I could get through.

So, I watched the first season of The Traitors, and it's utter repetitive nonsense with the tasks boring and pointless.

Few of the contestants are likeable, and some are really thick and unlikeable.

I loved it.

I'm now irritated that I have to wait for the new episodes as we have caught up with season 2.

Can't believe nobody has sussed Paul out. Classic conformation bias with some halo effect thrown in for good measure.

Don't judge me people.

Ok, you can judge me, I'm shallow and vacuous. 

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

I'm 25 years late, but the Memsahib and I have started watching 'Silent Witness' in the past week.

Really enjoying some of the stories.

We've watched it for years, but it increasingly drives my missus up the wall. Gung-ho pathologists who play detective doesn't fit with her logic-driven brain - I just treat it as entertainment though I think it's starting to stretch even my credulity.

13 minutes ago, Crewton said:

We've watched it for years, but it increasingly drives my missus up the wall. Gung-ho pathologists who play detective doesn't fit with her logic-driven brain - I just treat it as entertainment though I think it's starting to stretch even my credulity.

I’m with Mrs C. Used to like it but increasingly formulaic with the annoyingly smug main characters proving how clever they are whilst every police man and woman is portrayed as a total idiot.

Not sure many pathologists, who rely enormously on their hands, would be boxing/ fighting every week. 

Also, there’s a whole bunch of political statements every week, delivered with the subtlety of a Monty Python fish.

For me, it’s the BBC at its worst, peddling a bunch of middle-classed main characters, surrounded by a selection from each minority in society to show how ‘in touch’ they are. If they’re serious about inclusivity, give these characters more of a story.

I think if the franchise is to succeed, they need to marry off Emilia Fox and David Caves and send them a long way away. 

23 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m with Mrs C. Used to like it but increasingly formulaic with the annoyingly smug main characters proving how clever they are whilst every police man and woman is portrayed as a total idiot.

Not sure many pathologists, who rely enormously on their hands, would be boxing/ fighting every week. 

Also, there’s a whole bunch of political statements every week, delivered with the subtlety of a Monty Python fish.

For me, it’s the BBC at its worst, peddling a bunch of middle-classed main characters, surrounded by a selection from each minority in society to show how ‘in touch’ they are. If they’re serious about inclusivity, give these characters more of a story.

I think if the franchise is to succeed, they need to marry off Emilia Fox and David Caves and send them a long way away. 

I am not prepared to marry Emilia Fox but if she wants an afternoon where we explore the insides of our bodies I would be happy to oblige.