Vs Middlesbrough (home). Matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without looking too far into the thread, i haven't seen much on Mason Mount.

He seems to be a passenger at the moment and if his name wasn't Mason Mount he'd be in for a lot of stick at the moment.

He doesn't seem to be making runs into space and stands expecting the ball to come to him. I don't believe in the 'marked man' rubbish, he just isn't moving much and looking very much like a luxury player at a time we need to dig in.

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

My favourite moment was when Keogh was dumped by typical thuggery right in front of Pulis, who appeared to accuse him of simulation. RK jumped up, towered over Pulis and looked like he was going to deck him! Never seen Pulis step back so quick 

Then Pulis went to the third official, put his arm around him and asked if he saw and heard what Keogh just did. Then when Keogh was back playing he gave Keogh more grief.

It doesn't matter who he goes to. He will always belong to Stoke. They're both looking for love in the wrong places.

1 hour ago, jono said:

Yes, thanks, just sometimes I get grumpy, particularly when people get negative, finger pointy, scapegoat making and all that sort of thing. X 

To be fair mate, sometimes you need the patience of a saint (not something I'd be accused of possessing) not to bite. You're typically rather more restrained than a good many! 

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

Without looking too far into the thread, i haven't seen much on Mason Mount.

He seems to be a passenger at the moment and if his name wasn't Mason Mount he'd be in for a lot of stick at the moment.

He doesn't seem to be making runs into space and stands expecting the ball to come to him. I don't believe in the 'marked man' rubbish, he just isn't moving much and looking very much like a luxury player at a time we need to dig in.

Boro were set up to be narrow and stifled the space where MM is at his most effective. They were more than happy if our attack’s were down the wings safe in the knowledge that they have defenders who could deal with that. 

I still thought he contributed, and played ok, not one of his better games however he didn’t look like a passenger to me. 

1 hour ago, Inverurie Ram said:

The bloke on Quest (Dean Austen?) when asked about who he fancies making it between Derby and Boro, he picked Boro but likes watching Derby, reckons we need to replace Keogh to get promoted etc.

Dean Ashton.

2 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

The bloke on Quest (Dean Austen?) when asked about who he fancies making it between Derby and Boro, he picked Boro but likes watching Derby, reckons we need to replace Keogh to get promoted etc.

I reckon we might struggle for promotion but definitely don't think keogh is to blame, was just making a wee joke because everyone blames him for everything. There are much weaker players in that squad than keogh in my opinion 

Wisdom played great, looks so comfortable on the ball. Weve played Forest, Sheff U, Norwich and Boro in the last 3 weeks and lost once. the other top 6 sides have yet to play each other etc. If we dont lose to our rivals and beat the teams we should be beating then we have a great chance. 

Only annoying thing yesterday was why did it take a goal from Boro to spark us into life? happens too often but a point isnt the end of the world,

35 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Only annoying thing yesterday was why did it take a goal from Boro to spark us into life? happens too often but a point isnt the end of the world,

I agree that it was frustrating waiting for our team to wake up, but it wasn't boro's goal that did the trick. After boro scored we got even worse, just stopped marking altogether and really should've gone behind. The incidents that woke us up were Bogle and another one of our players finally getting stuck into Saville, Keogh giving Pulis some of his own medicine on the touchline, and the introduction of baby Duane.

I noticed from those highlights that Nuge placed his shot at the keeper with the side of his foot. Why on earth did he not just hit it full foot, maximum power? He only needed to be a bit to the side of where he actually put it and the keeper would have had no chance.

I know that it is a more difficult shot than a safety-first side-foot, but he should have gained enough experience by now to be able to do that.

2 hours ago, Edtheram said:

Wisdom played great, looks so comfortable on the ball. Weve played Forest, Sheff U, Norwich and Boro in the last 3 weeks and lost once. the other top 6 sides have yet to play each other etc. If we dont lose to our rivals and beat the teams we should be beating then we have a great chance. 

It didn't. They started to close us down a bit better in the first half, but what handed them the upper hand was Wilson having to go off. Two things affected us: losing him affected our heads, as if we all started thinking "Oh No! How are we going to manage without him?" Secondly, Frank put Huddlestone on and changed us to two defensive mids, which we didn't need. It replaced a creative midfielder with a DM, and it stifled us. I thought at first that Thudd was going to play a more advanced, Harry Wilson type midfield role, but he didn't.

It was only after the introduction of Holmes that we started to fizz again, and from then on, there was only one team looking likely to score.

3 hours ago, Anon said:

I agree that it was frustrating waiting for our team to wake up, but it wasn't boro's goal that did the trick. After boro scored we got even worse, just stopped marking altogether and really should've gone behind. The incidents that woke us up were Bogle and another one of our players finally getting stuck into Saville, Keogh giving Pulis some of his own medicine on the touchline, and the introduction of baby Duane.

Lol, baby Duane ... thinking that might be a new song .. “rock a bye sweet baby Duane” .. mind you not sure he’d thanks us for it ?

7 minutes ago, jono said:

Lol, baby Duane ... thinking that might be a new song .. “rock a bye sweet baby Duane” .. mind you not sure he’d thanks us for it ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DANh5zBB2VlA&ved=2ahUKEwi2utryzM_fAhXZBGMBHTPmBtIQwqsBMA56BAgIEBE&usg=AOvVaw27OAb0qBVXn1Ze6Pbf51C0

This is one for a our resident song writer  @Inverurie Ram to get his teeth into. Don't let me down buddy. We're counting on you.

16 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Steve How Hard? my best defense
I'll get through without you
When I give my heart again
I know it's gonna last forever
No one tell me where or when

I won't be undone again
I know it's gotta last forever
When I fall in love again
Baby Duane, I've said all I want to say

Sorry.......I let you down!

18 hours ago, jono said:

I believe jono is referencing the wonderful James Taylor rather than the erm ok Rod Stewart. Can you confirm this @jono please?

On 01/01/2019 at 19:59, DavesaRam said:

I have ended up very happy with today's result, despite us not capitalising on teams near us dropping points. Regardless of the dropped points, the effort and commitment of the team was tremendous.

It was probably the best start to the match we could have hoped for, and for virtually all of the first half we were in control of the match. Middlesborough did work their way into a spell of better possession towards the end of the half, but never really threatened. I felt the ref was pretty decent as well, a feeling which is pretty rare for me, and many of us Rams fans! The only thing he got wrong was the yellow card to Saville for his wicked, potential season-ending challenge on Marriott. In reality Saville should have been given two more yellow cards in the second half, but y then the only yellow on show was the ref's belly. His performance flipped almost 180 degrees in the first 20 minutes of the second half, letting a umber of bad challenges, shirt pulls and pushes go unchallenged, apart from giving a free-kick against Marriott after he had been shirt-pulled to the ground. During this passage of play, it was almost as if Pullis himself was on the pitch. He had a go at Keogh after he had been hauled to the ground, so Keogh stood up and bellowed back at him. Top man, Keogh!!! That was followed by chants of "You're just a **** Gary Rowett".

What turned the game was Wilson going off. It may have been the way Lampard used Tom Huddlestone when he came on, or simply that the loss had got to our heads, but it let Middlesborough gain the upper hand. They scored with their only shot on target, but could have had more when we gifted them a couple of unmarked headers. But gradually we got ourselves back into the match, and the introduction of Holmes changed the match again, with Derby pushing forwards with great urgency for the last 20 minutes or so. The miss by Nugent was a blow, but it is typical Nugent. He adds a lot when he comes on to the pitch, but in all the years he has been plying his trade he has always needed between 3 and 5 chances before scoring, so I wasn't surprised when he whacked the ball straight at their keeper. In this last section, the ref decided he was going to be even-handed once more by dishing out bizarre decisions in equal doses to both sides!

Wisdom had a tremendous match at left back, Josefzoon played better than the last couple of matches, almost as though he is playing his way back in again. Evans was very effective, and it is good that he brings a steadiness and calmness to the team. Holmes was exciting when he came on, and seemed to be all over the pitch, getting a lot of the ball, and making great used of it.

So although it is two points dropped, it was good to see the team giving their all, and playing at a better tempo. It is also good to see the back of the dozy attitude which we saw too much of in December, and am sure that the fans would much rather see today's attitude with the result we got, than the half-hearted stuff of recent weeks.

Right - Southampton next !

absolutely spot on mate , good to read a match report without a player getting flak

Archived