V Bristol City (h) match day thread

RiddingsRam

24 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I don't think he was reacting to the crowd. He was reacting to the questions which followed the general negativity which ed dawes seems to create.

Ed Dawes is a complete mood-hoover!  I agree that the questions were geared toward highlighting any negative aspect, which of course is Radio Derby's sweet spot! 

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very poor performance ,no desire to  go forward quickly.Passing across the back and then to the goalkeeper far too much.Very much like Clements style. Lampard started to get shitty on the radio about the fans impatience,what does he expect after two such home performance's.people will stand for losing away but not for dropping 4 points at home. the players look tired individualy and as a team.

1 minute ago, Turnstile said:

A very poor performance ,no desire to  go forward quickly.Passing across the back and then to the goalkeeper far too much.Very much like Clements style. Lampard started to get shitty on the radio about the fans impatience,what does he expect after two such home performance's.people will stand for losing away but not for dropping 4 points at home. the players look tired individualy and as a team.

?

What a frustrating performance, and in the end we were lucky to escape with a point.

It was the kind of performance you’d expect during the festive run of games. But not at the very start! 

It was just very flat and lacking in any real intensity and urgency.

It looked very much a case of us having one eye on the upcoming run of games and thinking all we had to do today was turn up.

I don’t think any of the changes really worked - I can’t see Nugent, Waghorn or Jozefzoon holding down a place in the team.

Defensively we looked very wobbly yet again. The goal was charitable and we continued in that same vein throughout the game. We gave away so many openings and gilt edged chances - a more confident and clinical team would have scored two or three, especially in the last 20.

And in attack, Mount and Wilson showed some glimpses of real quality, but sometimes too much. They are on a different wavelength to many of the other players around them. They take risks and try things that many players just don’t anticipate, and so our attacks break down.

One thing that worries me is what are we going to do without them? If you take the two of them out of the side, we look so bereft of ideas. It’s all very predictable.

But that said, we will still have more than enough to finish top 6 and I think that is where we ought to be.

It’s just disappointing because I think the league is there for the taking, and we had three home games in four to really build up some momentum and put ourselves in the frame, and it’s not really worked out.

Of course there are still many twists and turns to come, but today just really reaffirmed the feeling that it will be top 6 at best for us.

42 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Pretty enjoyable game for me. Bristol carved out some good chances but were pretty wasteful. Could have gone either way at the end, but I wouldn't have felt undeserving if we'd have grabbed a winner.

Bogle, mount and waghorn the positives for me. Nugent a little poor today, and might have taken all 3 points with Marriott on from the start. 

Sorry but for me bogle was dreadful. words fail me with Josefzoon he ranks alongside Abdul camara as a signing .they were both a waste of ink

I love Huddlestone as a player but playing him as a lone defensive midfielder is really making us vulnerable because his positioning isn’t the best, he can’t run and isn’t the best at tackling. Wilson and Mount in there also doesn’t help because they aren’t the best defensively either.

I’d like to see something like this

Carson

Bogle   Keogh   Tomori    Malone

Huddlestone   Evans

Waghorn       Mount      Wilson

Marriott

Evans has a lot of energy, is a natural defensive midfielder and is a good passer. It would take a lot of pressure off Keogh and Tomori in defence because we are too easy to play against in my opinion.

I want to see Mount and Wilson as high up the pitch as possible, they aren’t going to harm the opposition on the half way line.

54 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I blame @mozza. 3 games he's been my sub, and we've only picked up 2 points out of 9!

5th at Christmas with a rookie management team, an overhauled squad with reduced average age and Bogle emerging into a 1st team regular is better than par.

We all accepted a transitional period was necessary, the fact that we are so high up the league during it, without often playing well is a great pointer to where this team can take us.

Even better, we've all seen just how good we can be in patches, no reason to think that in time those performances won't be the norm.

Add in Frank knowing more about the squad now with a transfer window around the corner, Lowe to return with confidence boosted and fringe players so far, returning to full fitness, and it would be greedy to expect much more.

Merry Christmas Rams everywhere, the future looks bright.

Balls!!, i blame balls.. 

1 hour ago, Doodle said:

Keogh nuff said. Nugent just awful but luckily for him not as awful as Josep. The most inept performance from a Derby player for many a year. Plus points?? Mount, one crap pass aside

Keogh Nuff said. 

he has been a rock at the back for us for years, constantly been played into trouble  by other players that get no criticism. Never any praise for all the times he gets us out the poo and whoever made the mistake.

their goal was from a keogh mistake, but mounts was far worse and they should have put it away only hitting the bar.

never heard get “mount off the pitch “ though. Just About keogh.

All these  keogh haters must know more about football than how many managers know? And international managers?

If he didn’t make a mistake he’d play for Barcelona. With that logic so would I

Fed up of this. It’s getting silly now

12 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Keogh Nuff said. 

he has been a rock at the back for us for years, constantly been played into trouble  by other players that get no criticism. Never any praise for all the times he gets us out the poo and whoever made the mistake.

their goal was from a keogh mistake, but mounts was far worse and they should have put it away only hitting the bar.

All these  keogh haters must know more about football than how many managers know? And international managers?

It all boils down to Wembley.....many will never forgive him for it!

9 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Keogh Nuff said. 

Keogh is not the problem in this team,if we got promoted we would need a upgrade but he is a good championship defender and we have other areas in the team that need addressing mainly the midfield 3 that’s not really working. We missed Lawrence today also I thought.

"Shall we get going, then?" said my son a few minutes after the match had finished.

I don't see why not", I replied, "because Derby County never did".

Indolence would be a good description of Derby County's performance today. We actually started pretty well, and quickly looked the most likely to score, and I felt that the match was ours to throw away. And before Keogh's throwaway header did just that, the only chances which Bristol had were ones which we set up for them through poor defending. And after 20 minutes or so we started to change how we were playing, and the balance of play began to change as we went to sideways and backwards passing. This was "Chuckle Brother's football - "to you, to me, to you, to me", but it wasn't just balls out of defence which were inevitably going anyway but forwards. We were taking one or two touches too many everytime we got the ball, and shied away from trying a telling through ball. Radio derby's Craig Ramage got it right when he said that the players were consistently not taking responsibility, instead going for the easy option of sideways or backwards, so any momentum we might have had was quickly dissipated.

It turn out that this is in fact a tactical choice by Lampard and Morris. I don't know what has happened to the fast-flowing, high pressing game which he espoused early on in the season, and which produced results very time we employed it. Now we are playing a controlled, possession type of football gradually pulling the opposition out of place and then exploiting the gaps which then appear. This works well unless the opposition don't get-pulled out of position, as per today. And with all the extra touches and extra, unnecessary sideways passes, build up is too slow and ponderous. We've been here before. 

If we are to play this way, we need to show much more pace and speed of thought so that the ball zips around from man to man and doesn't give the other time time to think.

In the second half, Bristol had made a change or two and gradually began to get the upper hand, even making their own chances instead of waiting for us to get the red carpet out again. And in reality they could have had 5 or 6 goals today because our defence was all over the place. We had a spell from about 70 minutes where we suddenly upped the pace and chances started to appear. Funny that, we up the pace and get chances. How does that work? 

I thought a heart attack might be coming my way when the ref booked one of theirs within the first few minutes - this was an unprecedented event at Pride Park, and his obvious huge bias towards the Rams made him look almost fair and even-handed. But he quickly got his reprimand from the EFL, and very soon Brizzle found they could pretty well do what they wanted. Not to the levels of thuggery that usually goes unpunished, but Mount and Wilson got pole-axed about 4 times each without a single free-kick. At least he wasn't as bad as Stroud, although that is probably an impossibility! And when their keeper went down clutching his knee claiming that Nugent's challenge was illegal was stretching the point because our man Nuge was nowhere near him. And he then got several minutes treatment on the other knee. 

In the end, we were lucky to get a draw, but surely we need to move the ball much much faster, and there has to be more of a hunger for the ball and the result than we saw today.

2 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I wish I had your optimism, I think it is becuase I have never seen Derby get Promotion as I started supporting Derby after our 11 point season so I am just used to us turning to poo after January and generally being extremely disappointing , therefore I feel very pessimistic. about our chances  as it is the same old bitter disappointment each season.

But in saying that, if as you say, supported Derby you’ve surely seen some enjoyable seasons? Won’t insults your post, but playoff 

3 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

Keogh is not the problem in this team,if we got promoted we would need a upgrade but he is a good championship defender and we have other areas in the team that need addressing mainly the midfield 3 that’s not really working. We missed Lawrence today also I thought.

I don’t understand the Keogh detractors, he’s given a large part of his career to this club even though a number of our fans want him sacked off, he’s been stripped of the captaincy and professionally got in with his job.

He makes mistakes like any CB at this level, you could argue he makes more mistakes than some but that’s because he’s brave enough to take on possession when other players shy away from it. Sometimes when we’re struggling he’s one of the few willing to stand up take the ball and drive us forward!

I’m sorry but I just don’t buy the idea that we get shot of him and everything is roses!

Can anyone name a better CB in this division that we could buy for the £1 million that Keogh cost????????

Carson - one good save - super slow distribution 

bogle - first touch is starting to be backwards far to often 

Keogh - blooper today but the guy has more of the ball than anyone

tomori - he and Keogh struggled against the one forward 

malone - seen nothing better than Forsyth yet

huddlestone - slow with the ball today 

Mount - some good some bad ( similar mistake as Keogh)

wilson - most likely to get a goal today

jo flo- ineffective and zero cover for a full back which is why he will be nothing more than a sub 

waghorn - in his best position today, good goal shame he went off 

nugent - poor miss and unfortunately he has missed a lot of fairly easy chances this season and we need an upgrade ( I can’t believe that Martin would be any worse 

subs - nothing really 

over the game we gave so many openings to Bristol without them having to make any which was the most disappointing thing 

21 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

But in saying that, if as you say, supported Derby you’ve surely seen some enjoyable seasons? Won’t insults your post, but playoff 

Mac's First season was good apart from the Zamora ending, other than that nothing has been enjoyable as we have always been poo towards the end of the season and bottled promotion or even the play offs and  been ridiculously inconsistent with some horrendous performances and of course some great ones.

27 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Carson - one good save - super slow distribution 

bogle - first touch is starting to be backwards far to often 

Keogh - blooper today but the guy has more of the ball than anyone

tomori - he and Keogh struggled against the one forward 

malone - seen nothing better than Forsyth yet

huddlestone - slow with the ball today 

Mount - some good some bad ( similar mistake as Keogh)

wilson - most likely to get a goal today

jo flo- ineffective and zero cover for a full back which is why he will be nothing more than a sub 

waghorn - in his best position today, good goal shame he went off 

nugent - poor miss and unfortunately he has missed a lot of fairly easy chances this season and we need an upgrade ( I can’t believe that Martin would be any worse 

subs - nothing really 

over the game we gave so many openings to Bristol without them having to make any which was the most disappointing thing 

A good summing up. A bit ponderous going forward, lots of sideways passing, Mount and Wilson starting to be marked out of the game. A lot of late tackles on Wilson today , none picked up by the officials < we struggle at the back against big forwards we did against Villa and we did again today, Though Waghorn was good and very committed 

my Santas wish list is for a big centre back who is good on the ball and a plan B forward agin tall and good on the ball.

2 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Couldn't get to this one , was there on Monday and I will be there for the Boro game , maybe I shouldn't take any not of ramage's or any RD opinions on commentary is  it sounds like they are a million miles away from the general consensus. The RD commentary gave me a near heart attack and made me feel like we were playing awful and clueless football, Ramage was raving about Waghorn and the overall commentary made Huddlestone sound dire and Tomori very poor as well.

That is very honest of you Waggy. Just to say I stopped listening to radio Derby last season for exactly the reason you state. UTR

Archived