V Bristol City (h) match day thread

RiddingsRam

19 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

We have less points than this time last year, and performances have hardly been great apart form about 6 games . Our position is nothing to be sniffed at , and points wise we are in a decent place but I don't see the progression in performances or results that our performances earlier in the season suggested. If 5th is where we finish at the end of the season I would take that and not complain , but in the next few weeks we are clearly going to have to up our game big time just to remain in the top 6. For me we signed too many attackers  and now we lack the quality in other areas to achieve promotion. Don't think I am suggesting Lampard is doing a bad or 5th is rubbish, but lets be real here the performances this season apart form about 5 games don't show much progression from last season. yes we are trying to play better football, but in the majority of the games it has been ineffective as we need more quality in the middle of the park and more quality in the fullback positions. 

Wait wait I understand you have a huge man crush on Waghorn or whatever and I understand he is a good player and he was for the first half but did not deserve motm. Did you just want to give it to him because of the goal? Did you forget who did the cross in? Yeh the motm. Don't loard your opinion over others and don't think you know everything about football because judging by all your posts it doesn't always seem like you were half with it while watching.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Sorry.....did you say it "sounded" like Waghorn was motm? We're you there? If so I respect your view we were "shocking" if not how the heck do you know anything about the performance?

Couldn't get to this one , was there on Monday and I will be there for the Boro game , maybe I shouldn't take any not of ramage's or any RD opinions on commentary is  it sounds like they are a million miles away from the general consensus. The RD commentary gave me a near heart attack and made me feel like we were playing awful and clueless football, Ramage was raving about Waghorn and the overall commentary made Huddlestone sound dire and Tomori very poor as well.

38 minutes ago, Doodle said:

All in all if we can’t beat Bristol we can forget top 2 

Maybe be can't finish top 2. Is that failure? And the collateral form argument is just so weak. We could have been four up at halftime with Dave being a bit profligate in front of goal. It would then have been Bristol looking flat second half, not a deflated Derby. If you want collateral form then should we nick a point or 3 at Sheffield, we'll have lost only 3 in 15 with those teams being Chelsea, Villa and Stoke. 

10 minutes ago, Sarcasticz said:

Wait wait I understand you have a huge man crush on Waghorn or whatever and I understand he is a good player and he was for the first half but did not deserve motm. Did you just want to give it to him because of the goal? Did you forget who did the cross in? Yeh the motm. Don't loard your opinion over others and don't think you know everything about football because judging by all your posts it doesn't always seem like you were half with it while watching.

point taken, I will never base an opinion on RD commentary again,  it seems like the RD commentary is a million miles away from what most people's interpretation of the match. I feel like  a complete mug lol. Also I have no man crash what so ever on Waghorn, I needed a new name after Vydra left and  Waghorn signed around the same time.

4 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

point taken, I will never base an opinion on RD commentary again,  it seems like the RD commentary is a million miles away from what most people's interpretation of the match. I feel like  a complete mug lol. Also I have no man crash what so ever on Waghorn, I needed a new name after Vydra left and  Waghorn signed around the same time.

Oh you have a man 'crash' crush on Vydra then?

Pretty enjoyable game for me. Bristol carved out some good chances but were pretty wasteful. Could have gone either way at the end, but I wouldn't have felt undeserving if we'd have grabbed a winner.

Bogle, mount and waghorn the positives for me. Nugent a little poor today, and might have taken all 3 points with Marriott on from the start. 

Disappointing performance but hardly the end of the world.  Noted a bit of criticism of the crowd from Frank in his postmatch interview (not the first manager to do this).  There is a lot of impatience.   Not that surprising really,but I don't like to hear the manager grumbling like this... fans, team and management need to be harmonious!  

17 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Couldn't get to this one , was there on Monday and I will be there for the Boro game , maybe I shouldn't take any not of ramage's or any RD opinions on commentary is  it sounds like they are a million miles away from the general consensus. The RD commentary gave me a near heart attack and made me feel like we were playing awful and clueless football, Ramage was raving about Waghorn and the overall commentary made Huddlestone sound dire and Tomori very poor as well.

It was miles off. I was quite surprised when i turned the radio on at half time to hear their moaning.

4 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Disappointing performance but hardly the end of the world.  Noted a bit of criticism of the crowd from Frank in his postmatch interview (not the first manager to do this).  There is a lot of impatience.   Not that surprising really,but I don't like to hear the manager grumbling like this... fans, team and management need to be harmonious!  

I don't think he was reacting to the crowd. He was reacting to the questions which followed the general negativity which ed dawes seems to create.

Huddlestone does not have the positional sense to work as a lone DM, also he’s far too pedestrian. Fine if we are on top but is being found out far too easily recently.

Wilson and Mount need to get back to basics. They are over thinking and trying to be a bit too spectacular for highlights packages. Keep it simple. Although saying that the way we are playing does not help them. I don’t want want to see either with their back towards goal and we are seeing it too much. Need someone around them to get the ball in the final third, hold it and lay it off.

Nugent was shocking, sorry. Should have gone to Bolton or wherever and we could have kept someone who can hold on to the ball and bring others into play.

We need to keep the ball in the other teams halves, we have great ‘counter attack’ types but no one who wants to hold on to the ball and dominate. We are fancy, but not classy...yet.

Over the season we haven’t created enough ‘clear cut’ chances. Need to get behind teams more, more players in the box and positioned better. If we imposed ourselves on games more we’d blow a lot of this league away.

Poor crowd, felt like people didn’t wanna be there. Some will say poor game, but think we could have helped rally them forward after the first 15 mins that we dominated. Crowd were unresponsive, our passing went further backwards and we conceded.

Enjoy Christma(rtin)s everybody!

I blame @mozza. 3 games he's been my sub, and we've only picked up 2 points out of 9!

5th at Christmas with a rookie management team, an overhauled squad with reduced average age and Bogle emerging into a 1st team regular is better than par.

We all accepted a transitional period was necessary, the fact that we are so high up the league during it, without often playing well is a great pointer to where this team can take us.

Even better, we've all seen just how good we can be in patches, no reason to think that in time those performances won't be the norm.

Add in Frank knowing more about the squad now with a transfer window around the corner, Lowe to return with confidence boosted and fringe players so far, returning to full fitness, and it would be greedy to expect much more.

Merry Christmas Rams everywhere, the future looks bright.

Average performance. Not scintillating, not absolutely dire, just mediocre. We are a decent, probably top six standard Championship side and play like one with all the strengths, weaknesses and inconsistency that entails. Virtually all Championship teams demonstrate similar peaks and troughs during a season. 

Of course we all hope for more/better but it is what it is...

A bitfrustrated with performance today. Derby on top for first 20 minutes but unable to score. We conceded a very sloppy goal and looked shakey at the back for a bit. Some careless passing and Huddlestone a bit slow to pass the ball but to be fair he didn't have players to pass to as Bristol didn't allow us any space. On the plus side there were flashes of really good play. Mount nearly back to full form.

34 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

There seems to be the odd reference to a top two finish here. 

I don’t think top two is realistic or was expected at any stage this season. So not sure where this has come from.

It might have got a mention at half time at The Hawthorns, and it's just kinda stuck!   

20 minutes ago, LazloW said:

There is a problem though that’s needs addressing. We expect a lot. We want a team who play expansive football and entertain us, but also lump it forward and play direct. We want a LB who is obviously injured to bust a gut to get forward and get the ball in the box. Our CB’s to get the ball and run into blind valleys but also not lose the ball. Our GK to make inch perfect passes, Wilson to score blunders every week and Bogle to cover every inch of grass.

Weirdly most then seem happy with a striker who doesn’t get anywhere useful in the box but runs about a bit while having no effect on the game.

Thats just one aspect of the problem!

14 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I don't think he was reacting to the crowd. He was reacting to the questions which followed the general negativity which ed dawes seems to create.

I think it was directly at the crowd, talked about how the players should keep doing the right thing in any "environment", they can't hear the radio, but they can hear the crowd, Frank implied that the alternative the crowd wanted was long ball's and I didn't agree with him on that , I think people want to see the ball moved quicker and not passing back out of caution when a chance to Turn or pass forward was on, great players see the opportunity or have the confidence to play the risky pass , the lesser players take the safe option and pass the ball with a dollar taped to it (or inexplicably head it across your own box without looking?

Archived