January excuses early

FindernRam

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

You're just stirring.

'course I am. Wanted to see who'd bite (3 pages) and had a private bet on how many rolled eye thingies I'd get.10 so not bad but my mate said 5 so I win. Disappointed no-one picked up on my  Lawrence jibe, you obviously all agree with me. 

But being a bit more serious there were some good points made particularly with reference to FFP and general finances. Very glad we have Mel and are not Bolton.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Frank is saying it as it is. If you go purely on budgets then Stoke Boro Villa Forest West Brom and possibly Leeds are ahead of us. But championship doesn’t always work like that and you could argue the current top 4 are all underdogs especially Norwich.

I was expecting better football with an eye on the future and hopefully competing to get in the top six. Anything else was a bonus. Frank has done a great job and lifted my expectations but if we fall away slightly he’s still met my minimum expectations. Let’s face it none of knew what was going to happen.

We have a shot at promotion. One of 8 or 9 teams, but we shouldn’t expect it and not achieving it shouldn’t be viewed as a failure, if it doesn’t happen, with players out of contract this summer it gives us the chance to continue the rebuild and I think we will be strong again next season.

And the football is just so damn good to watch

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

'course I am. Wanted to see who'd bite (3 pages) and had a private bet on how many rolled eye thingies I'd get.10 so not bad but my mate said 5 so I win. Disappointed no-one picked up on my  Lawrence jibe, you obviously all agree with me. 

But being a bit more serious there were some good points made particularly with reference to FFP and general finances. Very glad we have Mel and are not Bolton.

Erm, well done?

14 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We could have quite a bit of play room depending on outs. I’d imagine us to be in a safe position if we had zero transfer activity. 

I think it’s safe to say Pearce, Thorne, Butterfield and Anya are definitely available (loan or permanent). Wisdom, Ledley, Johnson and maybe even Nugent could be on the way out depending on the offer we receive and if we can replace them. 

That’s a hefty amount we could shave off the wage bill. 

I think you bring up a good list.

However I do not think Pearce will go without us bringing in someone else after Davies injury.

If Wisdom went who would cover RB? 

Could Anya be cover for LB now ? (that one seems a bit scary, I do like him though for his effort and attitude)

The Thorne thing makes me sad but I think you are right, but personally I think Johnson will stay he is good cover all round the midfield and Frank seems to like him, personally I would keep him as he adds bite (no pun intended) but it would be good to see more of Evans too.

Nuge is good cover/sub/squad man too.

So realistically without bringing in anyone I reckon loan out Thorne, sell  Butterfield and Ledley

But with replacements the others you mention are probably those that are earmarked

18 hours ago, Matt H said:

Someone with a bit of physical presence up top wouldn't go amiss.  At present there's virtually no point in us winning corners or free kicks out wide as we don't seem to have a single player who seems capable of getting his head on the end of an attacking set piece, or causing disruption in the opposition's ranks allowing another to benefit.

Marriott has performed very well with some nice lay offs and through balls, but he's not going to hold defenders off in games where we're not getting forward to support him and with Lawrence/Wilson losing the ball a fair bit we're ending up under pressure

I'm not sure how you'd go about adding that to our team without upsetting the chariot applecart though. Looking at Fulham & Mitrovic as an example they didn't have an in-form striker (most of their goals came from Ryan Sessegnon) so they didn't really lose anything by adding him. I remember watching our feeble attempts to dispossess him in the play-off games, we couldn't get near him and just had to block his passing avenues, something we couldn't sustain for 2 legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POoad9r9dfA&feature=youtu.be

Anyone?

I'm personally happy with the progress he made in the summer and historically January has never ever been good for us, it's terrible value for money unless it's a savy loan deal. 

The squads already bloated and the likes of Anya, Thorne, Butterfield, Olsson and Pearce haven't had a kick all season. I suppose if we manage to shift even half of them and their wages then that may change. 

We also have to remember that we have George Evans coming back who I like from the 30 mins we saw of him. With regards to the key areas, I'd certainly look at maybe recalling both Lowe and Thomas who have has fantastic loan spells (this never happens for us) and add them to what we already have to cover Forsyth and Bennett short term. 

Grab a centre half on loan and I think we're fine. If we're being greedy another central midfielder who has a bit of bite but I think that'll be a summer addition. 

Very happy, trust the academy lads! 

15 hours ago, FindernRam said:

First rule of Wummery: Don't talk about being a WUM

20 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Our excuse for January is our fixture list. I can see us loosing to Leeds and Middlesbrough, and, it being January, alarm bells ring and everyone goes into wrist slashing mode. 

Leeds and Middlesbrough are easily loosable games at any time of the year. But given our post Christmas traditional slump, I can see a lot of people going a bit overboard. 

The worst case scenario is that that effects confidence going into reading and millwall. 

Lose to boro? really? poorest side in the top 7 for me. they depend on scrappy goals from long balls into the box. 

Leeds - id take a draw, no reasons we cant go there an win.

Boro. WIN

Sheff U - Take a draw, but beaten them once already.

Norwich - I think we can beat.

42 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Lose to boro? really? poorest side in the top 7 for me. they depend on scrappy goals from long balls into the box. 

Boro. WIN

Four wins or Lampard gets the boot?

2 hours ago, Edtheram said:

Boro. WIN

I see that you've started on the Xmas sherry early this year! ??

22 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Our excuse for January is our fixture list. I can see us loosing to Leeds and Middlesbrough, and, it being January, alarm bells ring and everyone goes into wrist slashing mode. 

Leeds and Middlesbrough are easily loosable games at any time of the year. But given our post Christmas traditional slump, I can see a lot of people going a bit overboard. 

The worst case scenario is that that effects confidence going into reading and millwall. 

Take your point but I see no reason for us to fear the January fixtures. Leeds is a game I've been looking forward to. A chance to set the record straight. No doubt they're a decent outfit but we gave them the keys to the city on their visit to PP and we've shown in spades that that piece of form is not reliable. Boro we absolutely battered and should have been 4 up after 30 minutes. How they got a point that day I'll never know. I also thought we edged the Norwich game so I don't really fear any of the teams we meet, we just need to show our form and let them worry about us IMO.

It would seem to,be that Thorne and Anya are subject to pay as play deals done by Rush  behind the back of the owner in order to top up transfer deals.  These deals were in legal dispute . They may be still. Or the owner may have imposed his own embargo.  Whatever it has left them in limbo playing-wise. And has maybe complicated any sale or loan??     Just a thought …………………… .

Archived