January excuses early

FindernRam

It was reported yesterday that FL has stated that there is a shortage of funds available in the transfer market next month.

This is the first time to my knowledge that he has ever raised the subject of funding and is a bit worrying. We still have the largest and probably best paid squad in the league even with a few injuries. Why now does Frank need to set expectations of not a lot happening. 

I think that although its probably true there's no money, he is getting us primed for the traditional new year slump and getting his personal excuses in early by blaming Mel.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is either goading the board to come up with money or as you say getting his excuses in early. I have no doubt that he is aware that Aston Villa's transfer and wage budgets are bigger than ours but that is life. I haven't noticed the managers at Norwich or Sheffield United  moaning and I doubt their wage bills are bigger than ours. They have both had to sell to buy and both have done it well. Welcome to football management Frank.

Or he was asked what the plan for January is and gave the "well we haven't got a lot of money so won't be doing much" card, so when we do try and sign someone they aren't putting the price up because we have cash to spend. Or it is a case of we don't have a lot cash splash. Either way does it really matter? And what has it got to do with the myth that we have a bad period just after Xmas, going into the new year? 

Frank has clearly stated he wants to work with a small squad so cant see him bringing anyone in unless there is an improvement on the current first team and in reality to improve almost any position in that first team will require significant spend.

I dont think its excuses or blaming mel, we made investment in the squad in the summer despite doom mongers telling us we had to sell our best player's just to keep FFP at bay.

Also not sure we are the best paid squad, we might be but doubt it. Last season the 3 relegated teams had significantly higher salaries than ours and i am not convinced they will suddenly have dropped to a level below ours.

Add to that Middlesbrough, villa, Norwich also had bigger salaries than ours.

Other clubs have made record signings such as forest who will have seen salaries increase while we have been attempting to bring the wage bill down.

Im sure we are up there but probably a top 10 in salaries rather than a top one.

The Christmas and early New Year period are brutal with Sheffield United , Boro, Norwich and Leeds to play. I hope Frank has identified his targets and can get them in early in January. If we can get through the aforementioned games relatively unscathed I think we have a real chance of the automatic promotion places. After those games we have Forest and Villa away as the difficult games and most of the bottom half of the table at home.

For me personally, I like to think there's some tactics to the statement. As @rynny says -- that combined with the strings he has appeared to be able to pull previously. 

Ultimately we don't know what will happen. I trust Frank and Jody and we have a strong squad with some exciting upcoming youth prospects. 

I'd much rather be where we are now and work with the squad that have got us to 4th in the table, than spend millions in January. 

24 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

He is either goading the board to come up with money or as you say getting his excuses in early. I have no doubt that he is aware that Aston Villa's transfer and wage budgets are bigger than ours but that is life. I haven't noticed the managers at Norwich or Sheffield United  moaning and I doubt their wage bills are bigger than ours. They have both had to sell to buy and both have done it well. Welcome to football management Frank.

perhaps he should just say he has loads of money to spend in order to encourage the selling clubs to up their prices.  Honesty is rarely rewarded in business and this is nothing that I didn't expect him to say

34 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

It was reported yesterday that FL has stated that there is a shortage of funds available in the transfer market next month.

This is the first time to my knowledge that he has ever raised the subject of funding and is a bit worrying. We still have the largest and probably best paid squad in the league even with a few injuries. Why now does Frank need to set expectations of not a lot happening. 

I think that although its probably true there's no money, he is getting us primed for the traditional new year slump and getting his personal excuses in early by blaming Mel.

Where was it 'reported'? All I've seen is a comment where Lampard has suggested that, in the light of recent long-term injuries, the emphasis on potential signings may have to change.

10 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Where was it 'reported'? All I've seen is a comment where Lampard has suggested that, in the light of recent long-term injuries, the emphasis on potential signings may have to change.

"If it's going to be something in January, it will be small, in terms of numbers. We haven't got loads to play with, but it's not a problem for me. I'm pleased with what I've got," Lampard said when asked about his plans in January

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-frank-lampard-said-asked-2310583.amp?__twitter_impression=true

No idea what the fuss is about ?‍♂️ exactly what he should be saying. 

1 hour ago, Harrowram said:

The Christmas and early New Year period are brutal with Sheffield United , Boro, Norwich and Leeds to play. I hope Frank has identified his targets and can get them in early in January. If we can get through the aforementioned games relatively unscathed I think we have a real chance of the automatic promotion places. After those games we have Forest and Villa away as the difficult games and most of the bottom half of the table at home.

If you look at the season so far, it is mainly here that we have struggled. (I mean the teams not PP)

He’s just saying the truth, we don’t have the budget other teams in the division do anymore. That doesn’t mean we won’t sign anyone tho, as others say he’s just using it as a negotiating tactic. Certainly isn’t using it to blame Mel, mels already said he’s welcome to additional investment, so is clearly well aware of the position. Can’t think theres any disagreements there.

Yeah, lets tell everyone we are loaded, and ready to spend it.  It's not like our rivals... and incoming players (their agents!)... will take the pi55!

Let's start waving the wonga around, and show the rest we not only have "Loadsa Money", but that our manager, players, stadium and training ground are "Considerably better than yours"!  

5 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

We did a good job wheeling and dealing in the summer, with the exception of Waghorn who we massively overpaid for, we did well.

I expect a couple of loans in Jan, from a pool of players available after Villa and Forest have hoovered every one up.

Waghorn was just coming good playing wide right, with Wilson in the middle then got injured.

He will feel like a new player when he gets back in the side, I'm still confident he will come good.

I don't get how you can be potless having made close to 40m in player sales. 

Hendrick, Ince, Hughes, Albentosa, Vydra, Christie, Grant, Camara, Martin (Fulham, Reading, Hull)... 

I'd prefer another loan or two anyway, but seems we are the only club to be overly arsed about FFP when Villa have and continue to buy buy buy 

Archived