January excuses early

FindernRam

16 minutes ago, Papahet said:

I don't get how you can be potless having made close to 40m in player sales. 

I'd prefer another loan or two anyway, but seems we are the only club to be overly arsed about FFP when Villa have and continue to buy buy buy 

No-one is saying anything about potless. 

We have money but also have to stick within FFP... things may have been easier if we shifted out more high earners in the Summer.  As it stands, when players contracts expire, that results in an FFP loss.  There are lots of players with expiring contracts this season... so unless we can move them on in permanent deals in January we are looking at unknown losses.

And as for being "the only club to be overly arsed about FFP" - just remember that five or six Championship clubs had transfer embargoes last Summer as a result of not being overly arsed. I'd prefer if we don't join that merry band next Summer.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Papahet said:

I don't get how you can be potless having made close to 40m in player sales. 

Hendrick, Ince, Hughes, Albentosa, Vydra, Christie, Grant, Camara, Martin (Fulham, Reading, Hull)... 

I'd prefer another loan or two anyway, but seems we are the only club to be overly arsed about FFP when Villa have and continue to buy buy buy 

In terms of transfer fees

Hendrick out = Vydra and Anya in

Ince and Hughes out = Lawrence, Wisdom and Huddlestone in

Vydra out = Waghorn, Marriott and FloJo in

The rest are fairly small fees cancelling each other out.

But that’s ignoring the expensive Clement transfers and our large wage bill. 

Our excuse for January is our fixture list. I can see us loosing to Leeds and Middlesbrough, and, it being January, alarm bells ring and everyone goes into wrist slashing mode. 

Leeds and Middlesbrough are easily loosable games at any time of the year. But given our post Christmas traditional slump, I can see a lot of people going a bit overboard. 

The worst case scenario is that that effects confidence going into reading and millwall. 

10 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Our excuse for January is our fixture list. I can see us loosing to Leeds and Middlesbrough, and, it being January, alarm bells ring and everyone goes into wrist slashing mode. 

Leeds and Middlesbrough are easily loosable games at any time of the year. But given our post Christmas traditional slump, I can see a lot of people going a bit overboard. 

The worst case scenario is that that effects confidence going into reading and millwall. 

We can beat anyone in this league as well as losing to anyone on any given day, personally I would like to see a centre half a central midfielder and a centre forward come in January who are all cover for what we have but that is dreadfully difficult. Now if we needed to raise funds then sell Lawrence for big money and buy well

13 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Do we really need that much? A centre half is a must and perhaps a midfielder and a Lowe recall/cover for Malone. 

Someone with a bit of physical presence up top wouldn't go amiss.  At present there's virtually no point in us winning corners or free kicks out wide as we don't seem to have a single player who seems capable of getting his head on the end of an attacking set piece, or causing disruption in the opposition's ranks allowing another to benefit.

Marriott has performed very well with some nice lay offs and through balls, but he's not going to hold defenders off in games where we're not getting forward to support him and with Lawrence/Wilson losing the ball a fair bit we're ending up under pressure

I'm not sure how you'd go about adding that to our team without upsetting the chariot applecart though. Looking at Fulham & Mitrovic as an example they didn't have an in-form striker (most of their goals came from Ryan Sessegnon) so they didn't really lose anything by adding him. I remember watching our feeble attempts to dispossess him in the play-off games, we couldn't get near him and just had to block his passing avenues, something we couldn't sustain for 2 legs.

48 minutes ago, nottingram said:

kind of annoying he didn’t come out and say that he wants to replace the whole starting 11 with players

That is exactly what he said. By saying we won't do much due to lack of funds he is also saying that if we had more money he would spend it and replace (or add to) a fair number of the squad, so although his words literally said he was happy with what he'd got, the deeper meaning was he wasn't.

3 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

That is exactly what he said. By saying we won't do much due to lack of funds he is also saying that if we had more money he would spend it and replace (or add to) a fair number of the squad, so although his words literally said he was happy with what he'd got, the deeper meaning was he wasn't.

he might not be telling the whole truth, but keep it quiet 

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

That's not what he said at all. For those who haven't read it, the key quote was:

"If it's going to be something in January, it will be small, in terms of numbers. We haven't got loads to play with, but it's not a problem for me. I'm pleased with what I've got," Lampard said when asked about his plans in January."

You're just stirring. Basically there's nothing to see here and Frank is happy with the hand he's got. 

We could have quite a bit of play room depending on outs. I’d imagine us to be in a safe position if we had zero transfer activity. 

I think it’s safe to say Pearce, Thorne, Butterfield and Anya are definitely available (loan or permanent). Wisdom, Ledley, Johnson and maybe even Nugent could be on the way out depending on the offer we receive and if we can replace them. 

That’s a hefty amount we could shave off the wage bill. 

3 hours ago, FindernRam said:

giphy.gif

Archived