Ashley Cole is a Ram

Carl Sagan

I can never understand passing judgement on someone they have never met. Most people have skeletons taken in isolation that would make them look a knob, and as you get older you often look back at your life and think  I should and could have done that better.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah, like I said I have a preconceived idea but reading back on how he has behaved in the past I think the facts speak for themselves. 

You mean facts like those printed in the tabloids? Must be true unless of course you know him personally.

23 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

You mean facts like those printed in the tabloids? Must be true unless of course you know him personally.

I imagine he would have sued newspapers if they had accused him of shooting a student with an air rifle and it wasn't true. Also would be strange for the police to investigate. 

I don't know him personally but I think the way he comes across and the ALLEGED stories of his past misdemeanours don't reflect to well on him.

Purely personal opinion and as others have said he may be a truly wonderful person.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I imagine he would have sued newspapers if they had accused him of shooting a student with an air rifle and it wasn't true. Also would be strange for the police to investigate. 

I don't know him personally but I think the way he comes across and the ALLEGED stories of his past misdemeanours don't reflect to well on him.

Purely personal opinion and as others have said he may be a truly wonderful person.

An air-rifle he didn't realise was loaded, he says, and if the police thought that wasn't true they'd have probably investigated beyond checking if any basic gun laws had been broken.

So I'll grant you "idiot", at least back then for certain - but loads of footballers are idiots.

I've not really seen any interactions that show-off his "arrogance"; At least - not anywhere close to being beyond the level of your "standard" arrogance of top players. Always seems to have time for fans and such.

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

He can handle Ronaldo, true. But there was that one time in the mls recently where Jonny Russel turned him inside out. That was quite sweet. I’ll put that down to Jonny’s brilliance though, and give Ashley a pass on that one. 

That's because Johnny was shown how to do it by Mason Bennett.

5 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

She deserves it for that absolutely gash arse tattoo...  It's like slapping a F**est sticker on the Mona Lisa!!!

I find it hard to fathom why people aren't happy about us signing the most complete left back this country's ever produced simply because he's a little on the old side (nobody gave Giggs poo when he played til he was 40) and he's perceived to be arrogant.  I couldn't care less, he's the only fullback ever to consistently shackle Ronaldo, I think he'll be ok coming up against the likes of Callum McManaman...

I originally read that as ‘gash tattoo’ got my hopes up... what a let down! 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

So are you saying a person cannot change as they get more mature.Give the guy a chance make a judgement on what he does for the club.But i suppose you are one of those guys who has never done anything you regret.

5 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

He can handle Ronaldo, true. But there was that one time in the mls recently where Jonny Russel turned him inside out. That was quite sweet. I’ll put that down to Jonny’s brilliance though, and give Ashley a pass on that one. 

That must've been one of Johnny's 1 in 7 games...

7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Will be interesting to see if he's here as cover or a starter, either way, if he retains any of the ability he once had, I think it's a decent signing. 

Really think I will struggle to warm to him as a person though as he comes across as a complete arrogant knob and always has.

He was always one of my favourite England players but I still could not bring myself to like him as a person.

2 things I noticed from his interview, he was referring to his manager as Frank or Lamps, don't like that, he should be manager or gaffer the same as all of the squad call him. Secondly claims to have followed Derby and then refers to Max Lowe as 'the young lad' or something.

Pretty sure I'm over analysing all of this ?

if you listen to the interview i heard he actually said this is the last time i can call him Lamps after today its boss.

45 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

So are you saying a person cannot change as they get more mature.Give the guy a chance make a judgement on what he does for the club.But i suppose you are one of those guys who has never done anything you regret.

No, I've not said that anywhere. 

Done plenty of things I regret, but there again I'm not in the public eye and looked upon as a role model by lots of kids.

I'll give the guy a chance, just as I did with Savage, who I thought was a complete rick prior to joining Derby.

I think we forget that players can be star struck by other footballers who have achieved huge amounts in the game - like our manager and now Ashley Cole - and underestimate the positive impact that can have on the attitude within a dressing room and, by extension, performance on the pitch.  Even if that player doesn't always play matches.

I recall the story about Dave Mackay, the player, sitting on the team bus next to a young John O'Hare as they drew up at an away ground. "Look at those fans asking who's that sitting next to John O'Hare" said the great man looking out of the window, leaving Mr O'Hare feeling as if he was the greatest centre forward to play the game.

Sometimes it's the things you don't see that can have the biggest impact.

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah fair comment. 

Got a preconceived idea that he's a knob and probably just looking for things to back it up! 

Also currently reading one of The Secret Footballer books where he refers to Cole as an arrogant idiot or something along them lines. 

I would suggest all you doubters should read the article in DET  quoting managers who Cole has played for,they are in a better position to judge him as a paper rather some news paper hack only interested in a sensational headline or the fireside critics  judging him solely on the date on  his birth certificate

Archived