v Stoke City (A) Match Thread

Comrade 86

13 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Rowett deserves all the stick that's coming to him but I would question why we're bothering.

Exactly, if anything we should just ignore him and not give him any attention, and just get support Frank and the lads.  By not saying/singing anything speaks louder than waving snakes and hissing at him.  It makes him not worth the effort, and not relevent.

Maybe we should chant about how much money it cost Stoke to buy him....with a thank you at the end.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the initial attention Rowett will recieve I expect a very loud “Super, Super Frank” to get going for long periods, with the occasional bounce.

Depending on how the game goes, the classic “Gary what’s the score”, “Gary give us a wave” and “You’re getting sacked in the morning” after each goal.

I say each goal as a performance similar to the one we saw at WBA is what I’m kind of expecting, although I wouldn’t rule out losing completely as this is the Championship, every game is a potential fave full of egg after slipping on a banana skin. 

Stoke have had it rough so far, but they do have some experienced players, one of which is a Mr Tom Ince, now you can talk about his attitude and laziness all you want, but one thing you cannot deny is he is a dangerous player to come up against. 

Be surprised if he came in for stock tonight, strange one with him returning with the manager that sold him from us. Not saying he should be applauded either, but the last thing we need to do is wind him up into showing us the ssssh finger.

Not going to lie, I’m more excited for this than the Forest game, having defended the bloke all season to take the new contract and pay rise, walk out a few weeks later, probably knew at the time of signing that was his intention, knowing Stoke would offer him and even bigger salary. 

I do find it interesting that those who were against him for most of last season are fully behind the inflatable snakes, although I suspect it’s more of any abuse is good for a man they disliked so much, even if the snake thing makes us a little bitter. 

Saw a tweet on Twitter though which I can’t find to credit, but it went along the lines of, yes we’ve landed on our feet, but Gary wasn’t to know that when he slithered away to Stoke.

Ok the football wasn’t for the purists but his shithouse approach took us 90 minutes away from Wembley, the team he assembled to get us there was not setup for long term success, this season could have gone very wrong in different hands. 

Luckily though Mel had the balls to go for another inexperienced manager and so far it’s paying off, after the Clement experiment you wouldn’t have blamed him to play it safe with a Mick McCarthy appointment which may have suited what we had at the time. 

Could now argue but Rowett was a ridiculous appointment, but 90 minutes from Wembley, the promotion payout would not have been a disaster and set us up nicely to go which ever path we fancied.

This is a super long post for a I doubt Rowett will get sang about all night. Guess I had a lot on my mind, sorry! ?

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I think this is the way to go. By booing and doing offensive chants, it suggests we are hurt by his departure. He'll be expecting that too and will be trying to use it to fire himself and the team up.

"He's one of our own" might confuse him sufficiently. Either way, he'll look a bit silly with us all waving our snakes around.

"Rowett, give us a wave" for ages until he finally gives us a signal. Hopefully he'll swear and get sent off.

"265 million, you're having a laugh" to have a go at the owners might be funny too.

Lots of cheers for Tom Ince too and "one of our own" too.

Fully agreed. Maybe a song where we show our gratitude to Stoke would be fine too.

Booing is so last season, sarcasm is proper banter.

26 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Verse 2:

Thank you very much for taking Rowett

Thank you very much, thank you very very much.

(to the tune of "thank you very much for the Aintree iron obviously) 

Yes... Obviously... despite you missing off a "very", on the last line! 

(insert smiley/winky face, to confirm lighthearted banter!)

13 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Fully agreed. Maybe a song where we show our gratitude to Stoke would be fine too.

Booing is so last season, sarcasm is proper banter.

Totally agree

I always remember when we bought Jason Shackell back from Burnley & we went to Turf Moor for his first return since the move. Their fans were giving him some right stick initially but as he turned in a dreadful performance they started singing 'One Jason Shackell' for seemingly the last 30 mins - it was so cruel I laughed my head off

Definitely think if we are winning later we need a hearty rendition of 'Gary Rowett is a football genius'

55 minutes ago, David said:

79D86DCE-5FB2-4645-8CAA-073FEDA1D353.jpeg

To balance that out though:

Under ? we had one more point at this stage I think.

scored more and conceded less.

don’t get me wrong, the football was turgid and I was glad to see him go especially after the Wolves defeat and comments but it just goes to show how Frank has transformed the club.

Give Gary stick ( I’ll give him a bit) but sing Franks name more ?

1 minute ago, Seth's left foot said:

To balance that out though:

Under ? we had one more point at this stage I think.

scored more and conceded less.

don’t get me wrong, the football was turgid and I was glad to see him go especially after the Wolves defeat and comments but it just goes to show how Frank has transformed the club.

Give Gary stick ( I’ll give him a bit) but sing Franks name more ?

Balance is needed and I thought that graphic offered some. In terms of shots it’s actually pretty close between the pair, when Rowett was accused of being overly defensive and negative.....well these don’t back that up, as you say we scored more by this point and scored less.

Not here to launch a defence of Rowett, but don’t think we should sit here and twist his tenure into something it wasn’t. 

The team was older, uglier and not as pretty on the eye as it is now which comes from the added time on the ball and ability to move it around, but when it all comes down to it, the blokes a snake but his theory on how to play football is not completely insane as some make out....even if it is a little short sighted and fully focused on the now not the future,

Be clinical with your chances, and having more of the ball doesn’t automatically = more goals + more wins.

Now I am started to sound like I’m defending him so I’ll stop there.

Suuuuuuuper super Frank!

Stoke 1-4 Derby please. 

Let them score first so we can wipe the smile off his face ?☹️

1 minute ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I love how the Stoke fan ended with with ahh then hit stop thinking it ruined his little video, but got home and still decided to upload it because it’s Chelsea, will gain a few thousand likes

Lampard’s pre match press conference 
https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/11/watch-frank-lampards-full-press-briefing-ahead-of-stoke-city-clash

Message added by David

Have to say, I'm extremely disappointed with Frankie here, and it's clear he has a hell of a lot still to learn.

Admittedly, I could only hear him, and not the journo's, but someone did a beautiful job of pitching a swerve ball, turning attention fully to Uncle 'Arry, and more importantly, to The Jungle...

... And bloody Frank couldn't even squeeze in one paltry reference to snakes!

On a plate, Frank!  On a bloody plate!!!  

EPIC FAIL!

It's very surprising to learn we had 1 more point at this stage last season and had scored more and conceded less. You have to factor into that though that old Snakey had worked with the squad in the previous season so had more time to get his philosophy across  unlike Super Frankie. Also at that point, Vydra was pretty much converting nearly every shot he had. I think he had one of, if not the best goals to shot ratios in the whole of Europe. Back to the here and now though and we find things aren't quite as rosy for Rowett even though he has arguably one of the best squads in the league coupled with a kings ransom to spend. Think I'll stick with what we have this season and count our blessings. COYR .......#SFL

55 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Admittedly, I could only hear him, and not the journo's, but someone did a beautiful job of pitching a swerve ball, turning attention fully to Uncle 'Arry, and more importantly, to The Jungle...

That was a bit ridiculous, the female journo just wanted to talk about Chelsea and I'm a Celebrity - Frank's too friendly, answers everything, imagine Jose Mourinho being asked these questions?!

Maybe a few years into the managerial game and Frank'll harden up.

Archived