SK47

When You Were A Teenage Ram (14-16)

Where abouts in Cornwall @SK47? And how on earth did you manage to do it on the train in one day? For me I'd have to get on the 06:30 train to get me to the ground about an hour before kick-off, then to go back I'd have the tough choice of watching the first 20 minutes and getting the train home to arrive at 11pm, or watch the whole game and have a 16 and a half hour journey back (including a 9 hour overnight wait at Plymouth)...

Oh and it would only cost £160 for the pleasure!

1 hour ago, Ramzabac said:

Definitely a lucky boy. First season ticket in 1969 age 11. 1973-75. King Kevin Hector for me. But hey ho could pick anyone of a dozen others as my idol. I just thought we would be unbeatable for ever at that age! 

Dont want to get ahead of myself but this season has a whiff of 1968 with a young smart tactically astute management team. COYR. 

Snap, I was 16 in the summer of 75. God, those days were great but they didn't last. Idols, Rioch, Toddy plus another 9 players and Charlie about to arrive. 

The train up from Brum on Saturdays and my dad taking me to midweek games when I couldn't get back on the train. 

Happy days. 

Probably the second best time after the league title seasons.

Saw us get promotion from the third, win the second and then two seasons later finish fifth in the First Division.

dGrlZR6.jpg

Great change kit

x69q5nz.jpg

New exciting forward, scored consecutively for a few matches when I went to about 16 in a row home and away. Only time I've ever done that.

Xkgkn3N.jpg

Shilton being brilliant, here at Arsenal away (we beat them twice that season)

yCIOm3G.jpg

Graham Richards on RD, leading to Phil Gee's cracker

Brilliant, happy days.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Where abouts in Cornwall @SK47? And how on earth did you manage to do it on the train in one day? For me I'd have to get on the 06:30 train to get me to the ground about an hour before kick-off, then to go back I'd have the tough choice of watching the first 20 minutes and getting the train home to arrive at 11pm, or watch the whole game and have a 16 and a half hour journey back (including a 9 hour overnight wait at Plymouth)...

Oh and it would only cost £160 for the pleasure!

I live in Newquay. It's funny, My commitment to going to games was alot stronger back then than it is now lol we sometimes would stay with our family up there, but we had to be back for youth football on the Sunday so we would usually just head back and get someone to pick us up from Plymouth. 

32 minutes ago, Vulcanboy said:

I was truly blessed to see 'my team' win the league 74 - 75 as an awe struck, spotty, 14 year old, memories for life. Its In my blood. 

Yep!

20 minute train into Derby, to watch Boulton, Nish, Todd, Daniel (Roy Mac was injured nearly all season), Webster, Thomas, Newton, Gemmill, Rioch, Gladys, Frannie, Zak, Big Rog, Steve Powell, Jeff Bourne.....

Obvious favourites were Todd, Hector, Gemmill, Rioch - absolutely class, arguably the best in their positions in the country at the time (possibly Europe as well), but there was also heroes like Roger Davies from non-league, a rather rotund Franny Lee nearing the end of an illustrious career, Henry Newton who patrolled the midfield to allow Bruce and Archie to go marauding.....

I know its looking back through rose tinted specs but I don't think we had a scapegoat that season - all were heroes - a great mixture of ages, big signings, reserves, non league......

uttoxram75.🐏👍

1992, and the millions of Pickering and good old Arthur cox in charge with Roy Mac and seing Kitson and Gabbiadini banging the goals in, what a team we had only for Leicester a season later to break our hearts 

First game was 1968, but by the time I was 14 in 77 we had the likes of Nish, Roy Mac, Todd, Bucko, Steve Powell and Rioch. Unfortunately we also had some dhead called Docherty ruining the club and sending us into decline.

11 hours ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Stimac, poom, eranio, baiano, wanchope, and of course, the football genius himself, Daryll Powell.

Same for me. Throw in Ace and Simmo as well. 

I was 16 when we came down from the Premiership and had that summer of signing loads of players. 

The Good

Kris Commons- Still maintain the fee Celtic paid us for him was a slap in the face. A fantastic footballer who was a joy too watch.

Rob Hulse- One of our most underrated strikers imo. Scored some important goals in a pretty average team. 

Paul Green- I maintain, Paul Green was a brilliant player for us till he had his injury. His work rate, attacking runs and the ability to chip in with a goal every so often was impressive. 

Miles Addison- His break through season and i genuinely thought this kid had something special about him. Unlucky with injuries 

The not so good

Przemyslaw Kazmierczak - I can remember there being a buzz that we were signing a 'Champions league midfielder'.... this was the result. hit one good free kick against Wolves but nothing else stands out

Darren Powell- My god this guy was the worst defender i have ever seen in my entire life. We panic signed him for cover and he actually hurt my eyes.

Andrejs Pereplotkins- no more need be said.

Liam Dickinson- I would consider this one of our worst signings of all time. 750k on this bloke who managed a grand total of 0 games for Derby. Currently paying for Droylsden which is his the 23rd club of his career

Luke Varney- What a wasted journey man this guy is. 

(I could list more of the bad players in this team but i think you get the picture of some of the bang average players we had)

Don’t sit on the sidelines, let your voice be heard!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.