When You Were A Teenage Ram (14-16)

SK47

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was 16 when we came down from the Premiership and had that summer of signing loads of players. 

The Good

Kris Commons- Still maintain the fee Celtic paid us for him was a slap in the face. A fantastic footballer who was a joy too watch.

Rob Hulse- One of our most underrated strikers imo. Scored some important goals in a pretty average team. 

Paul Green- I maintain, Paul Green was a brilliant player for us till he had his injury. His work rate, attacking runs and the ability to chip in with a goal every so often was impressive. 

Miles Addison- His break through season and i genuinely thought this kid had something special about him. Unlucky with injuries 

The not so good

Przemyslaw Kazmierczak - I can remember there being a buzz that we were signing a 'Champions league midfielder'.... this was the result. hit one good free kick against Wolves but nothing else stands out

Darren Powell- My god this guy was the worst defender i have ever seen in my entire life. We panic signed him for cover and he actually hurt my eyes.

Andrejs Pereplotkins- no more need be said.

Liam Dickinson- I would consider this one of our worst signings of all time. 750k on this bloke who managed a grand total of 0 games for Derby. Currently paying for Droylsden which is his the 23rd club of his career

Luke Varney- What a wasted journey man this guy is. 

(I could list more of the bad players in this team but i think you get the picture of some of the bang average players we had)

14 hours ago, SK47 said:

So, When you were 14-16, who were your Derby idols at the time? 

I'll be a little older than you then but not much - I was 15 when we changed millennium so my 14-16 was watching the decline of our Premier League side when Smith's magic touch ran out and instead of signing the likes of Baino, Asanovic, Stimac and Wanchope we were getting Bragstad, Blatsis and Valakari

Still - Some fond memories of around that time - Christie's goal for the 1 0 win away at Old Trafford - Kinkladze in general - Carbonari's booming shots from positions he really shouldn't have been in as a CB - Johnson, Riggott and Higginbotham - Delap pre-long throws and not really knowing where he actually played

1981-82

A team on the wane. The last days of Roy Mac, King Kevin and Archie, 'supplemented' by Paul Emson, Steve Emery, Alan Biley, Dave Swindlehurst, Barry Powell et al.

Virtually nothing to get excited about. Only Kevin Wilson really went on to be part of anything positive over the following seasons.

A rotten time to be a Rams fan. Rubbish team, winding up order AND I was a hormonal teen in Thatcher's Britain.

Think i was 15 in the 2006/07 Season. What a season it was to be going home and away.

Main heroes being first and foremost Seth Johnson. Then the likes of Steve Howard, Matt Oakley, Michael Johnson, Dean Leacock, Darren Moore, David Jones, Arturo Lupoli, Pesch, Giles Barnes, Bisgaard and who can forget Bob Malcolm and John Macken?

Also went home and away to the majority of the games the season after which coincided with finding alcohol. I don't know if that is just what happens when you're 16 or if Derby drove me to it.

18 hours ago, Gritters said:

I think in 1986 Bobby ‘oh Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby Davison’ Davison was our top scorer I thought he was great and we had stemmed the slide and got promoted from division 3.

By 1988 it was the likes of Ted ‘the tin man’ McMinn who had a fantastic season and Dean ‘Deano’ Saunders.

A few others to mention were Rob ‘iron legs’ Hindmarch.

Paul Goddard, Gary ‘ticklepink’ Micklewright.

Same as, but I'd add Geraint "George" Williams to that list. Goddard and Saunders up front was a great pairing. I thought we really missed Goddard when we sold him. 

As a 12 year old, my very first attendance at the home of football witnessed, from up high in The Ley Stand,  a somewhat piss-poor 0-0 draw v Carlisle (with the emphasis on piss, if the adult comments regarding inebriated players was anything to go by!).

Weirdly though, despite the disappointment of not seeing any goals, as soon as the final whistle went, the crowd rose as one, to cheer, to applaud, and to idolise.  The sun came out, and we were all treated to the most beautiful sight any 12 year old boy could wish for (I was a late developer!)

It was humongous. It was shiny... very shiny, in fact... and I think, to this day, it must have had hypnotic powers, because try as I have over subsequent years, I just haven't been able to shrug off my love for DCFC.

"Heroes" come and go... Hector, Todd, Langan, Biley, Swindlehurst, all... but the memory of seeing, smelling, and spiritually touching that trophy will linger long after they all depart, and for that alone, I betroth mine heart to thee, Derby County!

21 hours ago, richinspain said:

1977-79. Docherty era Rams. Vic Morland? Aidan McCaffery? Ron "Reggie" Greenwood? 

Unfortunately Rioch, Todd and Macfarland were on their way out of the club, so I suppose Steve Powell, David Langan or Steve Buckley.

Same era mate but surely you remember John “dally” Duncan slotting at least one in a 4-1 against forest when they were decent and we were truly atrocious   ?

(don’t forget don masson for the epitome of hopelessness)

14 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Same era mate but surely you remember John “dally” Duncan slotting at least one in a 4-1 against forest when they were decent and we were truly atrocious   ?

(don’t forget don masson for the epitome of hopelessness)

Duncan got two, steve emery got one....can't remember the other. 

14 in '06, so Darren Moore, Seth, Oakley, Howard, Barnes, Lupoli.

15 in '07, so... erm... Hossam Ghaly?

16 in 08, Commons and Hulse were the diamonds amongst the Savages and the Pereplotkins. Think Paul Green might have had a half decent season around then.

Archived