Super Frankie Lampard

Derby blood

Frank's a really likeable guy. I think it helps that he's really intelligent, so he doesn't just sound robotic or come out with the normal footballing cliches. While this doesn't mean he's automatically going to be a good manager, it just makes it easier to understand him and his way of thinking. He's very down to earth too.

I couldn't stand listening to the likes of Pearson or Paul Clement. Even Mac had his moments, as no doubt he's a bit weird. 

Rowett, in fairness, wasn't that difficult to listen to. But his football was crap, there was no future playing that way.

I don't know whether Lampard will be successful. Or whether he will dump us the moment a bigger club or a club with a bigger budget comes along. 

But so far. The style of football, his preference of younger players, and his general personality. For me, the ideas in which he has, he's probably my favourite manager already since George Burley.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are many impressive qualities that Frank has shown so far, but for me the most pleasing is the way he'll pick teams on merit.

It doesn't matter if you're one of his signings, a player overlooked previously or someone coming fresh from the academy, if you're fit and willing Frank will give you a chance.

Perform well and you'll keep your place, if someone else gets a chance due to circumstances and performs then you'll have to fight hard to get it back.

It's what every manager pledges, yet Frank seems to keep to the principle better than previous managers. I think it's impressive that he's put his own ego to one side, and made the incoming signings really work to get minutes in the majority of cases.

15 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

There are many impressive qualities that Frank has shown so far, but for me the most pleasing is the way he'll pick teams on merit.

It doesn't matter if you're one of his signings, a player overlooked previously or someone coming fresh from the academy, if you're fit and willing Frank will give you a chance.

Perform well and you'll keep your place, if someone else gets a chance due to circumstances and performs then you'll have to fight hard to get it back.

It's what every manager pledges, yet Frank seems to keep to the principle better than previous managers. I think it's impressive that he's put his own ego to one side, and made the incoming signings really work to get minutes in the majority of cases.

I agree for the most part but Forsyth should have kept his place on Saturday.

15 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

I agree for the most part but Forsyth should have kept his place on Saturday.

That's fair enough, he'd done very well upto the cup game, where Malone came in and gave Frank something to think about. 

He then bought Fozzy on, so at least he's not wedded to the players he's bought in over those that were already here.

I think he alluded to the fact that some were unlucky to lose their places, but in a competitive squad someone will always miss out, sometimes unfairly.

This might sound mean, but I thought the fact he was prepared to drop Lawrence despite his goalscoring start to the season was a positive for me, he'll look beyond the headline contribution to make the most of his squad.

Frank expects the same work ethic he had as a player. He will try to encourage it, but it's up to the players to work and show it, and he will and already has praised those players that are currently working for the benefit of the team.

Frank communicates realy well and his very likeable demeaner means his messages will be clear and very understandable.

https://www.metro.news/frank-lampard-ramps-up-derbys-work-ethic/1169106/

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/02/frank-lampard-retirement-football

https://www.hindustantimes.com/football/frank-and-hard-work-lampard-reaped-rewards-of-his-relentless-work-ethic/story-qJ5neihjTPfzHeDJjhwJkM.html

11 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Best thing is he hasn't even worked out his best 11 yet & we're still winning.

Still think Huddlestone, Marriott & Harry Wilson will play big parts this season

Although I agree, the teams we have faced aren't the strongest apart from Leeds, and we won't talk about what happened then. It's good that we are playing weaker teams in this gelling period but from the games I've watched, if we are up against a more clinical team, they are going to have a field day against our defence

Liked what I've seen from him so far. The style of play is proactive & pleased he's trying to involve Academy prospects. He comes across as a humble & warm guy in interviews - albeit someone with a strong sense of direction. The mixture of polished front man & the more blunt Jody Morris is I imagine, a good foil in the dressing room. Also really like the way he's engaging with the fans - he comes across as genuine.

On the flip side, whilst results have been good (aside from Leeds) performances have been a bit scratchy & we've still got a way to go to be genuine top 6 contenders. The midfield still isn't as dominant as it could be & this will cause us problems against the better teams although accept injuries have dictated this to an extent. We've also been fortunate that we've played 3 teams who I fully expect to be bottom 6 this year (Hull, Ipswich & Reading).

Results will tail off & there will be bad spells - excitement in August/September is all well & good but its when we've just been beaten 0-1 at home by Brentford on a filthy Tuesday night that he & the team will need our support. He's a rookie manager with only 6 league games under his belt - mistakes will be made but I'm increasingly confident he'll be sharp enough to learn from them.

Not many threads will I read from page 1 to catch up, but my belief if such that for this one in particular every post I wanted to digest. Please enjoy and happy clap away, you’ll release endorphins which will make you feel better too. ?

20 hours ago, EraniosSocks said:

I think at work last night sentimented it for me. I work with 4 F;rest fans, and the feeling and conversation being had was such a nice listen, with me just sitting there like a Cheshire Cat.

Up the Derby and may this continue 

It's not enough that we succeed they must fail as well.

20 hours ago, angieram said:

I think I said after a few away matches last season that I really didn't think that some of the players believed in how they were being set up to play. Their body language was all wrong. I could be wrong but that's how it seemed to me. 

Totally agree with this 

17 hours ago, Archied said:

From the first minute frank was linked with us I wanted him as our manager and I’m loving it , nope Its not based on some over the top dream state that we are going to walk the division it’s pure and simply the buzz he has brought ,the trust in youth ,the positive football the honesty ,the work and will to win ,, it’s infectious, my advice to the posters trying to point out the weaknesses ( and there are some ,there always is).   Just enjoy the now ,don’t be left looking back on the good bits with fondness and realising you didn’t know they were the good bits at the time

You did Archied I remember your enthusiasm and my scepticism at the time when it was a rumour but I'm fully on board now as I would've been with every appointment because we are supporters but it just feels so good to have Frank as our manager and still is sometimes hard to beleive when you see the Ram on his top.......stick with him through thick and thin, very likeable bloke ? 

Just one quick thing I've noticed, the presentation behind Frank is labelled "Derby Way: Build against lopsided press"

This is clearly being used to describe a style of play and being communicated to the players.

I think we can end the debate on whether "the Derby Way" is a football philosophy or not. It is.

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 12.35.33.png

17 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Just one quick thing I've noticed, the presentation behind Frank is labelled "Derby Way: Build against lopsided press"

This is clearly being used to describe a style of play and being communicated to the players.

I think we can end the debate on whether "the Derby Way" is a football philosophy or not. It is.

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 12.35.33.png

As it always was. I don’t get why the owner repeatedly contradicts himself or outright lies when it’s out there in writing. 

I should hope he’s already identifying Lampard’s successor 

Archived