Super Frankie Lampard

Derby blood

1 hour ago, The Key Club King said:

I'd agree that he is very likeable and that he may make a good manager. However, we have played four games against poor teams and narrowly won, and got hammered by the one good team we've played. We have the most gentle start to a campaign I can remember. If we get through the very difficult run of games from late October through to Christmas then I will really start to believe.

As opposed to having two of them putting 7 goals past us. Sunderland and Burton were so poor they went on to be relegated if you remember. 

Yeah Frank will make mistakes but you can bet your life he’ll never set us up like that clown did down at Craven Cottage in the play offs. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been watching Derby for nearly 30 years and I can't remember the last time I loved listening to the manager talk as much. The way he spoke about Bennett yesterday gives an insight into his man-management style, and I bet the players are absolutely loving it. Not getting carried away, nor thinking we are going to take the league by storm, but certainly enjoying the refreshing style if management and approach to playing football.

2 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

As opposed to having two of them putting 7 goals past us. Sunderland and Burton were so poor they went on to be relegated if you remember. 

Yeah Frank will make mistakes but you can bet your life he’ll never set us up like that clown did down at Craven Cottage in the play offs. 

He wouldn’t have sold Will Hughes or sent Craig Bryson out on a season long loan either.

54 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

It's not a simple as that, the first 3 games we were obviously getting to grips with the style of play frank wants so we weren't at our best. If you know anything about football, especially in this league anyone can beat anyone on the day whether your bottom or top. Look at the villa squad, on paper, one of the best teams in the league, got stuffed yesterday by sheff utd. Stoke are tipped to go straight back up, look at their start, Forest have spent big, where are they in the league at the moment?.

I think it's too soon to be thinking were going up and I'm not getting over excited but I'm liking the progression of this team and you can see little improvements in every game. 

I've said in another thread, I think it'll take most of this season for us to become the fluid team he wants and I still think another transfer window is needed. So if we don't get promoted, thats fine, it's work in progress.

Thanks Frank, hope Christine is OK 

2 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

I'd agree that he is very likeable and that he may make a good manager. However, we have played four games against poor teams and narrowly won, and got hammered by the one good team we've played. We have the most gentle start to a campaign I can remember. If we get through the very difficult run of games from late October through to Christmas then I will really start to believe.

Yes he talks the talk and hasn't fallen flat on his face yet. We've won against teams we should expect to beat... No small achievement , but it's way too early to judge frankie as a manager just yet.

Frank (and Jody) appear to be doing a great job of forging squad togetherness, whilst introducing new and young players into the team.  Frank is also working hard on improving the connection between the team and the fans. Even on here there seems a lot more slack being given than previous managers have enjoyed (although that probably can be put down to having secured 12 points at this stage). He’s had a good honeymoon has Frank.

Frank’s hard working, winner mentality should stand us in good stead throughout his tenure, but looking short term hopefully he will maximise the potential points advantage of the next 6 league fixtures. The pressure will be upped a notch or two with many fans already expecting a  haul of c15 points during that period, at a time when he has more difficult match-day decisions to make with the return to fitness of Davies, Huddlestone, Wilson and Evans. We have a very big squad still, and this doesn’t include the apparent outsiders (Butterfield, Thorne, Anya and Pearce). Keeping everyone as happy and together, managing fans expectations whilst working out his best starting 11, will be lot more of a challenge for Frank than it has been to date.  

Hopefully this thread will be still going strong come mid-October.

2 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

Pretty much what I was going to say.

It's an ok start, but 3 of the 4 teams we've beat are in the bottom 4.

Let's hope we can keep the momentum going when we face more difficult challenges.

I think, without getting carried away, we're sseeing enough to think Frank has "got it" to be a manager - first worry, that his playing ddays clouded the judgment and he didn't really have it in him has been well pit to bed.

Its great that we've sstarted well, but there are going to much more testing ttimes ahead. But there's no reason aat this point to suggest frank and his team are not up to it.

41 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Frank is also working hard on improving the connection between the team and the fans.

As everyone that has spent time with Lampard will tell you, he is an intelligent man. An intelligent man would recognise the importance of this connection. 

Alienate the fans, lose their backing and financial support and your P45 will be landing on the doormat.

Some may see the starting the bounce a bit cringey but it’s all part of building that rapport with the fans, as is highlighting Mason Bennett as one of our own yesterday and declaring his love for him.

He’s building that we all in this together feeling and bringing the fans along for the ride, as part of the team, I absolutely love it.

Lampard might be inexperienced in mamagement but a few managers could learn a few things from him already. 

Interestingly, Claudio Ranieri is on Goals on Sunday. He’s just said that the first result he looks for is Derby’s. He’s sitting there saying ‘Come on Derby!’ ?Another who thinks that Frank will do well. He was also pleased when he saw Jody Morris sitting next to Frank. 

2 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

It's not a simple as that, the first 3 games we were obviously getting to grips with the style of play frank wants so we weren't at our best. If you know anything about football, especially in this league anyone can beat anyone on the day whether your bottom or top. Look at the villa squad, on paper, one of the best teams in the league, got stuffed yesterday by sheff utd. Stoke are tipped to go straight back up, look at their start, Forest have spent big, where are they in the league at the moment?.

I think it's too soon to be thinking were going up and I'm not getting over excited but I'm liking the progression of this team and you can see little improvements in every game. 

I've said in another thread, I think it'll take most of this season for us to become the fluid team he wants and I still think another transfer window is needed. So if we don't get promoted, thats fine, it's work in progress.

It is as simple as that, Reading and Ipswich are whipping boys at the moment, Hull had scored 1 goal at home so far this season and we can’t say we rolled any of them over. 

My problem with these types of bandwagon threads (of which they’re are 4 on page 1 of the forum) is they are kneejerk reactions.

You are absolutely correct however on us getting the balance right this season (which we haven’t yet) and trying to play fulid football. We all crave to be entertained, playing football that gets applause. Not bothered about going up like say Cardiff did playing unattractive footy. 

You don’t face many top sides who are consistent in the Championship. You can go up without beating any of the top 6 sides.

Turning up against the “whipping boys” in the empty stadiums where it can be easy to roll up and think you’ve won before a ball is kicked is where sides drop points and ultimately fail.

Yes we have tougher games to come which we will drop points in, but it’s great to see us putting points on the board now against the teams that you would be looking at as winnable games on the fixture list.

Momentum and positivity going into the international break is not to be sniffed at.

Another great interview with Frank after the match.

with some managers its all about them, and about their self-justification and interviews seem almost rehearsed or pre-prepared. If there was ever a situation that could be all about the manager then this is it. But thats not how he responds or conducts himself. He seems very genuine, honest, spontaneous and comfortable. He is very appreciative of the efforts of individuals and the team as a whole. He is almost too nice to be true. Maybe he's the good cop and jodie morris the bad cop but is a nice vibe at the moment. 

Of course it helps that we won. 

When we played man utd away last season, a supporter on the coach told me that he'd notice that rowett paid very little attention to the fans. Never mentioned the fans etc. I can't say that i'd really noticed. But at the final whistle i watched as growett marched off with summerfield in the direction of the tunnel, whereas i expected him to come across and pay tribute to 6000 travelling fans. Unless i missed something he did indeed seem rather aloof. I don't think Frank would make that mistake. Not because he selfishly wants to milk the applause, but more that he just seems to want to enjoy it, the same as we do.

Onwards and upwards.

UTR ???

I am full of admiration for Frank and the way he has gone about his first managerial role. He appears to have united our fans and is able to inspire and motivate the players. At the last home match the atmosphere was electric and the style of football was just what I have been hoping for. Yes we are still a work in progress but I am really positive about our future. And I love the bounce. Keep it up Frank!

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Yes he talks the talk and hasn't fallen flat on his face yet. We've won against teams we should expect to beat... No small achievement , but it's way too early to judge frankie as a manager just yet.

Quite a few judged him to moment he took over - and will quite possibly never see a reason to ever change that opinion. There were people suggesting that he wouldn't last until Christmas, and we had threads like "Is this season a write-off already?" which contained comments by people complaining bitterly about the lack of signings and the failure to offload the 'dead wood' - on July the bloody twelfth!!

18 minutes ago, David said:

You don’t face many top sides who are consistent in the Championship. You can go up without beating any of the top 6 sides.

Turning up against the “whipping boys” in the empty stadiums where it can be easy to roll up and think you’ve won before a ball is kicked is where sides drop points and ultimately fail.

Yes we have tougher games to come which we will drop points in, but it’s great to see us putting points on the board now against the teams that you would be looking at as winnable games on the fixture list.

Momentum and positivity going into the international break is not to be sniffed at.

We’ve had better winning streaks and momentum deeper into seasons than the current 4 wins we are on at the minute at quite a few points in the last 4/5 years. My point is during the 4 victories this season we haven’t looked anything like Wolves did last season when they ripped us apart in our first home game. If we looked like that I’d understand more the bandwagon threads. 

Archived