Whoa...

Angry Ram

2 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Mixed feelings about the changes. 

I'm relieved the site is no longer a platform for some very prejudiced viewpoints; that had gone way beyond a difference of opinion and crossed the line into what would legally be termed hate speech. I can understand why that was a nightmare to moderate without a team of lawyers. 

On the other hand, no discussion of current affairs or issues which affect people's lives feels like a loss to the forum. 

Not sure what's meant by no discussion of sex; wasn't aware that anyone was giving us a blow by blow account (can I say that?) Celebrity crushes is still up...

might be heading towards one of them "Oooh Matron's" with that line Lambchop!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Fully understand the need for a change but Off Topic Area doesn't have the same ring to it as when it was called the Pub.

Can someone come up with a better, new name for this section of the site.

Obviously only after getting David's permission first.

46 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

To prevent friction we can’t talk about sex?

Surely you mean stop having any to prevent friction.

Or use lube.

4 hours ago, Lambchop said:

I know.

I put it in, then took it out, then put it in again...

2 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

To prevent friction we can’t talk about sex?

Surely you mean stop having any to prevent friction.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Or use lube.

Behave! Stop it now all of you, it's not big and it's not funny and you'll spoil it for others. Now stand up straight and listen to what the grown-ups are telling you or you'll all be on the naughty step. 

Just wait till David comes home then you wont find it funny, there'll be even less toys to play with than before, if your not careful.

24 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Behave! Stop it now all of you, it's not big and it's not funny and you'll spoil it for others. Now stand up straight and listen to what the grown-ups are telling you or you'll all be on the naughty step. 

Just wait till David comes home then you wont find it funny, there'll be even less toys to play with than before, if your not careful.

Toys with or without batteries?

Banning politics/religion etc. all seems like a massive overreaction to me.  Yeah, people did get carried away in here when debating difficult issues and too often resorted to personal insults rather than just discussing the subject at hand. That clearly serves no worthwhile purpose and I have to admit I did it at times, to some extent at least. I know it must be have been difficult to moderate.  On the other hand there were a lot of interesting and informative posts by numerous contributors and it is always healthy to be exposed to views different and even opposed to your own. 

Maybe if warning points and bans were handed out more frequently (although with shorter bans) it could have altered the behaviour of those of us resorting to personal attacks in the course of an argument? 

But stifling debate entirely on subjects considered too sensitive? Surely that's always a negative and retrograde step. 

Incidentally, is global warming political ? 

8 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Mixed feelings about the changes. 

I'm relieved the site is no longer a platform for some very prejudiced viewpoints; that had gone way beyond a difference of opinion and crossed the line into what would legally be termed hate speech. I can understand why that was a nightmare to moderate without a team of lawyers. 

On the other hand, no discussion of current affairs or issues which affect people's lives feels like a loss to the forum. 

Not sure what's meant by no discussion of sex; wasn't aware that anyone was giving us a blow by blow account (can I say that?) Celebrity crushes is still up...

Yes I agree where can I put the news that someone has been sentenced to 30 years for planning to kill Mother Theresa.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

images.jpg

I watched this with my 19yr lad the other week.

He turned around after 20 minutes and asked if the whole film was based around 2 middle aged paedophiles trying to get into schoolgirls pants!

On reflection, he had a point.

13 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Banning politics/religion etc. all seems like a massive overreaction to me.  Yeah, people did get carried away in here when debating difficult issues and too often resorted to personal insults rather than just discussing the subject at hand. That clearly serves no worthwhile purpose and I have to admit I did it at times, to some extent at least. I know it must be have been difficult to moderate.  On the other hand there were a lot of interesting and informative posts by numerous contributors and it is always healthy to be exposed to views different and even opposed to your own. 

As you said yourself, it too often resorted to personal insults rather than discussing the subject at hand, the novelty soon wears off when your phone is buzzing at night as mud slinging is taking place in the off topic sections with the same group of members.

Whilst it may appear to be an overreaction on the outside, it's been an extremely difficult time to moderate this forum, one in subject areas that the moderators have become increasingly uncomfortable with.

Maybe if warning points and bans were handed out more frequently (although with shorter bans) it could have altered the behaviour of those of us resorting to personal attacks in the course of an argument? 

Warnings have been issued, as have bans, I have even personally spoken privately with groups of members at a time to see if we could come to some truce which resolves the issues for an hour or two before the claws are back out.

We have had a number of accounts closed over the last couple of months, some stating it's due to the levels of toxicity in areas of the forum, members that are not actively involved. 

But stifling debate entirely on subjects considered too sensitive? Surely that's always a negative and retrograde step. 

It is, but we're at the point where it's either that or hand out permanent bans, at some point you have to say enough is enough and whilst some may believe we have chose the wrong option I really really don't like removing members, especially when it's in secondary sections as to why we are all here.

In time if we can resume some normality and peace it may be a rule that's lifted, but for now as I say enough is enough. We need to put a stop to it.

Incidentally, is global warming political ? 

Global warming is an environmental issue and one that we would have no issues with unless it moves on to the politicians, then nazi's, white privilege and finishing off with Gammon faces as is often the case.

Maybe it's a topic that could be used as a start to show that discussions can be done sensibly without the mud slinging.

Archived