Bryson

Warren Hobhead

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Yesterday’s midfield shouldn’t ever play together again, and l suspect 99% of this Forum could have told Frank that yesterday at 14.01. 

Semi-rhetorical question, if it was so blindingly obvious to casual observers then why did they play together then yesterday 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, BodminRam said:

Our midfield use to be the envy of the Championship not so long ago.. Hughes Bryson Hendrick.

And more so when played in the right position with Eustace, then Thorne sitting deep behind them, even if one of the 3 dropped to accommodate. Odd that eh, playing in a position they are suited to, that they excel!

8 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I’ve only just got back, and have read most of the threads today. And I can’t believe there’s a thread knocking Johnson yet Bryson was the worst midfielder on show for the third game running. 

Why does this lad keep getting chances here? What is he offering? 

Running about? 

Absolutely useless today again.

I watched the game .

tbh the midfield wasn’t the problem.

amateurish defending largely by our two centre halves in the first 20 minutes or so cost us end of story.

the midfield did equally well and badly at various given times. 

Between the 3 of the then they all had good and bad moments 

but the weren’t the reason we lost that 

25 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Semi-rhetorical question, if it was so blindingly obvious to casual observers then why did they play together then yesterday 

I would suggest most on here are more than casual observers.  Most will have surely thought at 14.01, based on seeing Johnson and Bryson play in deeper midfield roles numerous times over the last few seasons, that neither is ideally suited to that role, and that our defence could be exposed.  Why Lampard thought it might be a good idea l really can’t tell you, but is he still trying to persist with the “rotational” model?  I haven’t seen any of yesterday’s game yet so can’t comment on that.

He gets such defence because he was part of that 13/14 season, that’s it. He hasn’t done anything significant in a derby shirt in years, and once again yesterday made no impact on the game. A reasonably tidy player no doubt, but what use is a link man who can only pass the way he’s facing? He’s got nowhere near the technical ability of mount (who based on what I’ve seen so far, could be the best player in the league if playing in a better midfield), so he should be cover only imo. Johnson needs to be in his role, not that that’s ideal, and Huddlestone needs to be behind. Ideally we need someone like will Hughes. Or will Hughes.....

Think it’s harsh to single out Bryson, from watching the first two games it’s abundantly clear we missed his energy last season, he gets around the pitch well gives 100% in otherwise a lightweight midfield, huddlestone as much as his passing is probably one of the best at this level is a luxury player and would never class him as defensive. 

I love Bryson. He's Derby through and through and his workrate is phenomenal. He also seems genuinely delighted to be back at the club when other players would be busy throwing a paddy at not having been retained at a now premiership club. That's pretty endearing IMO. The issue is that I'm not sure he's the player that many on here suggest he is. For one season where he almost matched Chris Martin goal for goal, he looked top quality, but outside of that season, he's looked like a standard Championship midfielder, neither brilliant nor useless. Perhaps it's purely down to how he's being used, I'm not really sure tbh. I hope he doesn't end up getting hounded by the fans as he gives everything every game, but I'm not sure that'll be enough for him to cement a role this season. Shame really.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

I would suggest most on here are more than casual observers.  Most will have surely thought at 14.01, based on seeing Johnson and Bryson play in deeper midfield roles numerous times over the last few seasons, that neither is ideally suited to that role, and that our defence could be exposed.  Why Lampard thought it might be a good idea l really can’t tell you, but is he still trying to persist with the “rotational” model?  I haven’t seen any of yesterday’s game yet so can’t comment on that.

That’s what is particularly baffling to me. We have two natural defensive midfielders in Evans and Ledley who would have been a more natural fit rather than trying to fit Johnson and Bryson into positions they aren’t good at. I know Ledley’s been poor so far but in a formation where two natural defensive midfielders play, he is good as he showed last season. Evans and Ledley as the holding midfielders then Mount as an attacking midfielder.

1 hour ago, Warren Hobhead said:

A reminder to myself not to log in and post when drunk after a long away trip. Because although I stand by what I said I don’t usually dig players out on here and I sort of feel bad today. 

Won’t happen again people. UTR.

The trouble is that in order to defend someone that you feel is getting unfair criticism, you end up making unfavourable comments about another to draw the comparison. It's understandable. Don't feel bad - you made a fair point. 

1 hour ago, Remy the hare said:

We are hanging everything on Huddlestone coming back and making this system work. I can’t see it myself from what we saw last season, he isn’t mobile enough and isn’t a great ball winner. 

Yes BUT he’s composed and tends to be in the right place at the right time. That’s what we’re missing, he reads the game so well that his mobility doesn’t normally matter. His speed in releasing the ball should counter his lack of mobility imo. We need someone who gives the defence an option, and Huddlestone is that man. He’ll make a big difference imo, but the balance in centre mid also has it resolved ahead of him.

Archived