Bryson

Warren Hobhead

I’ve only just got back, and have read most of the threads today. And I can’t believe there’s a thread knocking Johnson yet Bryson was the worst midfielder on show for the third game running. 

Why does this lad keep getting chances here? What is he offering? 

Running about? 

Absolutely useless today again.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of feel sorry for him. His best position is the one Mason Mount is taking up.

I think it goes to show how poor our other midfield options are that we are shoe-horning him into a role he's clearly not cut out to do. How bad must the rest be?

There were times today he was picking the ball up between the centre-backs and passing it out to the fullback. I haven't seen him play that deep since that knucklehead Nigel Pearson played him in a holding role.

I think Mount is a decent player with big potential, but if we have very little chance of signing him on a permanent basis I'd rather we have put Bryson in that role and brought in a linking midfielder instead.

I also think Waghorn was a big mistake for this system. I'm not knocking his ability, he just doesn't look right in the role we're expecting him to do.

Sith Happens

Frank obviously like his energy but I am surprised that Frank hasnt realised that neither of Johnson or Bryson are suited to that role. Maybe Johnson can do it at a push but he doesnt excel.

Then Bryson gets stick. Play Carson up front and he wont have a great game either.

Frank clearly doesnt think Ledley is right, Hudds still injured.

Seriously, right now with Thorne looking fit surely a 50% George Thorne will be better at this role than a square peg.

I actually think everyone is making this a complicated issue it's about selecting the right players and Frank has not done that yet and I think because we played well in preseason this may be the problem why he thinks it will work is it about formation is it about the system???

A big problem is no one in defence is comfortable playing out from the back because there is no one who is comfortable in taking it because that player is missing HUDDLESTONE not even Carson looks comfortable so don't do it and yesterday if we did not do it what would the score of been????

I think you could ask the question do we need 2 wingers I say no because I would use Bogle and Malone has the attacking wingers play 3 holding players in Midfield which would be Huddlestone, Evans, Bryson  then play 2 in front which  would be Lawrence and Mount linking upfront to Nugent who can run is socks off for 60 minutes.

Bryson and Wilson could easily play the role off the striker as well which would just be as effective it's about getting the best out of the players in there best positions.

2 wingers did not work last year and watching us this year is still does not work because it makes us very open in midfield.

Stoke play with 2 wingers look how poor they are we need to remember we are not Manchester City or Chelsea we are Derby and play to our strengths because we have plenty. The big problem is teams know how we are going to play and that is a real weakness.

Frank put it right and start on Tuesday Night, please.

Bryson is been a great servant to Derby but like Martin his best days for us as come and gone

Two seasons ago he couldnt get in the team last year he was surplusse to requirements and now he his first choice,just shows at present i think we are going backwards

We do have a massive problem at the moment with Davies & Huddlestone both out. That's our defensive backbone.

When those two come back, Hudds can resume his normal role, Mount takes the 2nd midfield spot and the 3rd (now less defensive) midfield place can go to one of:

Bryson, Thorne, Ledley, Holmes, Sibley, Elsnik, Johnson, Bird, Evans, Butterfield... that's 10 options, have I missed anyone?

In the meantime while Davies & Hudds are out we need to do something far more drastic that square pegging Bryson. I'd suggest... and this is some serious tactical innovation, try and stay with me... play Wisdom at DM.

13 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Meanwhile we pay £3 million for Holmes who isn't even being put on the bench yet? Go figure that one out?

The DET reported: The 23-year-old has joined the Rams for an undisclosed fee, though the deal is understood to be worth in the region of £700,000.

Go figure that one out?

It’s this formation coming to haunt us again isn’t it, start with your back 4 then the big question of who in the holding role? With wanting to play out from the back this formation is best suited. The only one who has proved to be of service in that position is Huddlestone and Thorne (however I think his time at Derby is done). 

As a number have noted, Mount and Bryson are both at their most effective playing as the most forward of the midfield 3. Bryson is pretty ineffective anywhere else, although that is not to knock his work rate.  In fact what l have just typed for Bryson also read Johnson.  Lampard will hopefully soon have Huddlestone back, and will give Evans a further chance too. Yesterday’s midfield shouldn’t ever play together again, and l suspect 99% of this Forum could have told Frank that yesterday at 14.01. 

PistoldPete2
7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I kind of feel sorry for him. His best position is the one Mason Mount is taking up.

I think it goes to show how poor our other midfield options are that we are shoe-horning him into a role he's clearly not cut out to do. How bad must the rest be?

There were times today he was picking the ball up between the centre-backs and passing it out to the fullback. I haven't seen him play that deep since that knucklehead Nigel Pearson played him in a holding role.

I think Mount is a decent player with big potential, but if we have very little chance of signing him on a permanent basis I'd rather we have put Bryson in that role and brought in a linking midfielder instead.

I also think Waghorn was a big mistake for this system. I'm not knocking his ability, he just doesn't look right in the role we're expecting him to do.

I agree its mount or Bryson not both. I disagree we don't have other options. Hud is out injured... Thorne is coming back from injury. Evans hasn't had a chance and neither has Holmes. 

As as for waghorn don't know why he was taken off to be replaced by nuge... Couldn't we play both when we are trying to get two goals? 

Archived