Carson...

DCFC27

Absolutely love the guy, best goalkeeper I have seen play for Derby, however after watching the game yesterday, it looks like we will be playing out from the back as much as possible. One thing all Derby fans know is he isn’t particularly great at picking a pass... at times yesterday it was exposed. Very sad but could see him being replaced in Jan if he can’t adapt it, anyone share this theory. However still the best shot stopper in the championship! 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Andicis said:

I agree. Carson's distribution isn't great, he has a tendency to slow the game down. Good shot stopper, but it's disappointing that he can't move the ball out to the defenders faster.

Huh? Did you watch the Saints friendly? You're making it up.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

I did. I felt he slowed the game down, and I didn't like his distribution at all. Like I said, I think he's a good shot stopper, and a good keeper, however I think he lacks in the distribution aspect.

I don't think his distribution is as bad as made out. It's not a strength by any means, but he's clever enough to make it work. I'm not saying it would be impossible to replace a goalkeeper of his quality, but it would be incredibly difficult. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I agree. Carson's distribution isn't great, he has a tendency to slow the game down. Good shot stopper, but it's disappointing that he can't move the ball out to the defenders faster.

I think he definitely regressed in that aspect last season but to be fair most of the teams individual skills also went backwards under the snake.

As I recall,prior to that,he had excellent distribution...

I'm therefore optimistic that he will return to form in that area.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Saints friendly his distribution had me thinking this all game. Very slow and played a couple of poor balls that lead to half chances. However he did make a fantastic save look comfortable which has become something of trademark this last few years. Great keeper. 

18 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

Absolutely love the guy, best goalkeeper I have seen play for Derby, however after watching the game yesterday, it looks like we will be playing out from the back as much as possible. One thing all Derby fans know is he isn’t particularly great at picking a pass... at times yesterday it was exposed. Very sad but could see him being replaced in Jan if he can’t adapt it, anyone share this theory. However still the best shot stopper in the championship! 

FL can just get Carson to throw it out or pass it very simply to the fullback or any available player whenever it's on, if everyone is covered or the opposition is pressing high, then there is no harm going long.  There is no need to insist on playing out from the back every time, even when under pressure, like a Guardiola team for example. That's too predictable and too high risk in my opinion and really wouldn't suit Carson.  Mix it up, keep it simple for Carson and keep the opposition guessing. 

I too have had concerns about Carson’s distribution in this system, even last season I thought it was a problem, but a goalkeepers primary job is to stop the ball going in the net and Carson is frankly brilliant at that. We can get around/ coach Carson to distribute better imo, that natural reactions is much harder to teach. As others have said, it wasn’t until last season, when zuberbuler left that his distribution became an issue, before that it was more than adequate. Think under given it should get back to that level and we won’t have a problem.

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I too have had concerns about Carson’s distribution in this system, even last season I thought it was a problem, but a goalkeepers primary job is to stop the ball going in the net and Carson is frankly brilliant at that. We can get around/ coach Carson to distribute better imo, that natural reactions is much harder to teach. As others have said, it wasn’t until last season, when zuberbuler left that his distribution became an issue, before that it was more than adequate. Think under given it should get back to that level and we won’t have a problem.

Yep. Chance for Shay Given to earn his reputation and pass on some of his skills.

Archived