Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

59 minutes ago, SK47 said:

You know you've been part of this forum too long when you see Golf puns being thrown about for the 373847294th time like they are new ??????

In other news, has Waghorn signed yet or...?

It's just swings and roundabouts with the puns. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, thederbyram said:

Think we're okay on the wings. Perhaps a left back?

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Left back and CM?

Yeah, guess it depends on where Frank sees Foz - the fact that we were apparently willing to trade him suggests we might not be looking to utilise him much. I think Tomori can play LB though, and obviously Lowe. 

CM - think we're pretty stacked there unless we're shipping a load out. 

Ok, confession time. I’ve been a bit doubtful of this one, mainly on the basis that he seems to have been around for donkey’s years without ever achieving much. Turns out I was confusing him with Nigel Gleghorn. Now I have my facts straight, and realise they are two completely different people (almost 30 years apart in age!) I feel much better about the whole thing. Quality signing.

28 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

now we need a box to box cm like brownhill

From what I’ve seen Frank wants the 3 midfielders to rotate like Fulham’s did last year. 

Personally woukd look at Woods from Brentford. Think he would complete the midfield jigsaw.

1 hour ago, StaffsRam said:

Utility defender in, defensive mid in, #9 in......probably don't really need any more unless Frank decides we need more cover for the wings.

Waghorn can play the wide role as well can’t he? That’s why he’s such a quality signing. I’m imagining he’ll be competing with Marriott for the top spot, but if we find our selves short on the wings, he could fill in there, like Bennett. 

So now we’ve got several players in Wilson, Evans, Waghorn, Tomiko(?), Bennett, who can all do a very good job in more than one place. They’re not jack of all trades either. They’re very good even in their ‘second’ position. 

That should make us more stable / resilient when injuries / suspensions / fatigue starts to set in later on in the season (ie February). 

I’m starting to see a plan emerging from all this. 

9 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Waghorn can play the wide role as well can’t he? That’s why he’s such a quality signing. I’m imagining he’ll be competing with Marriott for the top spot, but if we find our selves short on the wings, he could fill in there, like Bennett. 

So now we’ve got several players in Wilson, Evans, Waghorn, Tomiko(?), Bennett, who can all do a very good job in more than one place. They’re not jack of all trades either. They’re very good even in their ‘second’ position. 

That should make us more stable / resilient when injuries / suspensions / fatigue starts to set in later on in the season (ie February). 

I’m starting to see a plan emerging from all this. 

This is our most planned and mapped out season to date probably

26 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

From what I’ve seen Frank wants the 3 midfielders to rotate like Fulham’s did last year. 

Personally woukd look at Woods from Brentford. Think he would complete the midfield jigsaw.

Good player but Swansea have been trying to sign him for a while for £6 million apparently 

There is another transfer window in January. I think a big part of competing in this league is to be there or there abouts up until the Jan window and then bring in 3/4 players to improve the squad more so and make a final push. In previous season our Jan business has been awful.....

6 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

There is another transfer window in January. I think a big part of competing in this league is to be there or there abouts up until the Jan window and then bring in 3/4 players to improve the squad more so and make a final push. In previous season our Jan business has been awful.....

January has almost always derailed us. Even when we went up under Billy we were flying til January, and then just scraped in through the play offs. 

I think that’s half our problem. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. If we can get the squad right now, there shouldn’t be a need to bring in more players in January. The squad might look big now, and some players might not get regular games for a while yet, but come January we’ll be glad of that big squad. We won’t need to buy more players, we’ll already have them, they’ll be beddednin with the squad and ready to go. 

And if we need them before January, then they’re ready, willing and able. We don’t need to crawl into January with one fit centre back, then pay way over the odds for the first centre back we find, for example. 

The January transfer window can do one. It’s never done us any favours. 

12 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Our summer business hasn't been much better. 

PistoldPete2

Welcome to Derby Martyn. Don't think he will be prolific but hopefully his versatility will make him a valuable member of the squad. 

I just hope he gets a chance from some of the fans. He wasn’t everyone’s choice, far from it in most people’s eyes, but he’s got to be given an opportunity to get up to speed.

If he’s anything like what Ipswich fans are suggesting then we’ll be absolutely fine. Massive difference between Waghorn and Leon Clarke (for example). The former looks like a footballer, with good technical ability. I just don’t think he’s the most outstanding goalscorer, but if his presence brings out more from those around him - Wilson, Mount, FloJo, Lawrence, Marriott..etc then the team will be improved, more so than it already has done from the change in style. 

Positive thoughts. 

24 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I just hope he gets a chance from some of the fans. He wasn’t everyone’s choice, far from it in most people’s eyes, but he’s got to be given an opportunity to get up to speed.

If he’s anything like what Ipswich fans are suggesting then we’ll be absolutely fine. Massive difference between Waghorn and Leon Clarke (for example). The former looks like a footballer, with good technical ability. I just don’t think he’s the most outstanding goalscorer, but if his presence brings out more from those around him - Wilson, Mount, FloJo, Lawrence, Marriott..etc then the team will be improved, more so than it already has done from the change in style. 

Positive thoughts. 

Good little video from an Ipswich fan about him here: 

To summarise for those too lazy to watch:

• Started the season out wide and racked up a decent number of goals there
  • Due to injuries he'd been used on the right, left and even behind the forward before cementing himself as their main striker
  • Very good at set pieces, but through his technique it's high risk - high reward. He smashes them in so he'll either hit the first man or end up putting in a ball that's almost impossible to defend
  • Not amazing in the air and not blessed with ridiculous pace, but they're good enough to do the job. He has a very good footballing brain and an unbelievable left foot
  • He's very direct. Upon receiving the ball he would almost always get off an early shot or try playing someone in, no going backwards and slowing the play down
  • He had a small period last season he went without scoring, but he was still key for them. He isn't the type of player to go missing when the team as a whole isn't playing well, so he's very reliable
  • This Ipswich fan thinks he'd be most useful in our system in the striker spot, but thinks he'd do a decent job in any spot in the front 3
  • Even if he's having an off day shooting and passing wise, his head won't drop and he won't shy away, he'll still give his all

Archived