This is my take on the season ahead

superzak

Sign a big name as manager ...sell everyone you can...sign only young and up and coming players...then see the season through with whats left...very little chance of relegation...end of season get rid of all the old players out of contract...big name manager has now got a clean slate plus a whole season to mold his own team....im probably very wide of the mark but thats my guess. 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, superzak said:

Sign a big name as manager ...sell everyone you can...sign only young and up and coming players...then see the season through with whats left...very little chance of relegation...end of season get rid of all the old players out of contract...big name manager has now got a clean slate plus a whole season to mold his own team....im probably very wide of the mark but thats my guess. 

Wasn't Rowett suppose to be going to do the same thing last season.

Bar the big name manager bit

2 hours ago, superzak said:

Yeah, although the transfer window is still an unknown for us. Lots of players out of contract next summer and not many guaranteed to stay on - not sure if that’s good or bad though? 

Lots to play for or nothing to play for? Character dependant. 

1 hour ago, superzak said:

Can't 'sell everyone you can' because we will be in relegation trouble but agree that the squad needs a substantial cull. Players like Carson, Wisdom, Davies & Lawrence (yes, more potential than actual end product currently) need keeping no matter what. The rest I'm not that bothered about so long as the price is right & they are replaced with a younger equivalent of similar quality or potential to be.

On the subject of younger players, I'd be happy with a transfer policy that saw us sign players no older than 25. We have plenty of experience, what we lack is energy, pace & youthful enthusiasm.. The aim has to be to integrate the young lads so well that when the mass exodus of 'out of contracts' happen next summer, we'll barely notice them going (like Shackell, Bent & Baird this summer)

Would take a top 10 finish now, only concern with Lampard is that the excitement associated with a big name manager directly contradicts a job that is likely to need a measured approach with a few backward steps before we go forwards.

8 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Can't 'sell everyone you can' because we will be in relegation trouble but agree that the squad needs a substantial cull. Players like Carson, Wisdom, Davies & Lawrence (yes, more potential than actual end product currently) need keeping no matter what. The rest I'm not that bothered about so long as the price is right & they are replaced with a younger equivalent of similar quality or potential to be.

On the subject of younger players, I'd be happy with a transfer policy that saw us sign players no older than 25. We have plenty of experience, what we lack is energy, pace & youthful enthusiasm.. The aim has to be to integrate the young lads so well that when the mass exodus of 'out of contracts' happen next summer, we'll barely notice them going (like Shackell, Bent & Baird this summer)

Would take a top 10 finish now, only concern with Lampard is that the excitement associated with a big name manager directly contradicts a job that is likely to need a measured approach with a few backward steps before we go forwards.

A masterful analysis, thank you Sir. 

It’s always nice to have an incoming player especially if they’re expensive and well-known; we all love that. However, that is not going to be the tenor of FL’s first few weeks. If he’s doing things properly he will be as we speak assessing the players that we have right now and getting to know them. Simultaneously he will be instilling his brand and style. 

So the first positive for me which I’ll be looking for at Notts County is do we play football that is easy on the eye? Do we pass the ball quickly and keep possession whilst moving forwards with players running into space? Do we build momentum as the game progresses? And in the final third do we allow players to express themselves? 

If yes to the above, that will be a huge step forward from the ersatz, denuded half-cocked, half-arsed, bastardised flavour of football that I had the misfortune of watching last season. 

The fact that we haven’t seen several Chelsea reserves pitch up yet fills me with great optimism as it tells me Frank is doing a thorough assessment of what he has already. Football teams are not purchased, they are created and crafted and moulded. 

So let’s be patient. It would be great to see Kasey Palmer return: that boy is a classy footballer much in the mould of Will Hughes. It would be brilliant to see Tammy Abraham’s in a Derby shirt because he’s razor sharp and very fast. But if they don’t either of them happen, I’m sure whoever else makes Lamp’s XI will be good to watch.

Next season will be up and down. But it will be exciting to see what begins to emerge. Youth will be a theme. Young hungry, talented players emerging alongside the likes of Davies, Keogh, Wisdom, Bryson, Huddlestone, Johnson and Martin. We have the bones of a good team already, Frank just needs to fill in the blanks.

In the early games last season, my heart sank as I thought “is this it? “. This year, I’m very confident that I’ll be excited at the glimpse of what’s to come. I know it’ll be flat at times but I’m looking forward to the evolution of good football again. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

A masterful analysis, thank you Sir. 

It’s always nice to have an incoming player especially if they’re expensive and well-known; we all love that. However, that is not going to be the tenor of FL’s first few weeks. If he’s doing things properly he will be as we speak assessing the players that we have right now and getting to know them. Simultaneously he will be instilling his brand and style. 

So the first positive for me which I’ll be looking for at Notts County is do we play football that is easy on the eye? Do we pass the ball quickly and keep possession whilst moving forwards with players running into space? Do we build momentum as the game progresses? And in the final third do we allow players to express themselves? 

A much better post than mine - superb

I've been reading 'Nobody ever says Thank you' (the Clough biography) & was struck by the story of the 1967/68 season - where we bedded in a number of young players but also finished one place lower than the previous season. Performances were patchy all year but season ticket sales for 1968/69 actually increased substantially as people understood the plan, enjoyed the style of play & wanted to see what happened next. The patience shown by Derby fans that year enabled the team to grow into what it ultimately became.

I really hope that Lampard's team gives us similar encouragement (starting from Notts County onwards) even if results aren't always positive. If so, I'm sure the majority will drown out the inevitable Sat 5pm hysterical posts from the 'want it now' brigade.

Great point about recruitment too - an intelligent manager assesses what he has in the building & works with them first before looking elsewhere. Again, that will cause issues with those who are keen for exciting new signings but as you rightly say, successful teams are moulded not purchased.

51 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

A much better post than mine - superb

I've been reading 'Nobody ever says Thank you' (the Clough biography) & was struck by the story of the 1967/68 season - where we bedded in a number of young players but also finished one place lower than the previous season. Performances were patchy all year but season ticket sales for 1968/69 actually increased substantially as people understood the plan, enjoyed the style of play & wanted to see what happened next. The patience shown by Derby fans that year enabled the team to grow into what it ultimately became.

I really hope that Lampard's team gives us similar encouragement (starting from Notts County onwards) even if results aren't always positive. If so, I'm sure the majority will drown out the inevitable Sat 5pm hysterical posts from the 'want it now' brigade.

Great point about recruitment too - an intelligent manager assesses what he has in the building & works with them first before looking elsewhere. Again, that will cause issues with those who are keen for exciting new signings but as you rightly say, successful teams are moulded not purchased.

No Sir,  yours is better and was the precursor to mine. 

I am happy to see Frank here and hope for a good season, but (there is always a but with me) he has no management experience and will be a product of the same boring coaching qualifications that create such tedious mangers/teams these days. No one breaks the mould any anymore. So unless we get a Galactico or even a little flash to drive our play style I'm afraid it will not be a fruitful year and the footy may be dull and frustrating.

7 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I am happy to see Frank here and hope for a good season, but (there is always a but with me) he has no management experience and will be a product of the same boring coaching qualifications that create such tedious mangers/teams these days. No one breaks the mould any anymore. So unless we get a Galactico or even a little flash to drive our play style I'm afraid it will not be a fruitful year and the footy may be dull and frustrating.

I’m sure a footballer doesn’t go to get his coaching badges and is told “you will only be given your badges if you sign a sworn statement saying that you will only play boring statistical based football, you will not attempt to play an in any way entertaining attacking style whereby skill is fovoured over endeavour”. Lampard has said that he likes a pressing, attractive style. If he can provide it with what he has at his disposal come August we will have to wait and see, but surely there is room for some optimism?

12 hours ago, Papahet said:

Do we really have a patient enough fan base and owner to settle for anything less than top 6?

One of the most demanding clubs in the league for success

The manager says he's ambitious, I imagine he's aiming for at least that.

Archived