Harry Wilson - Signed on a season long loan

DCFC1388

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

I'd be very unsure spending £25 mill on Wilson. There's no doubting his ability on his left foot but he goes missing in games far too often. 

That kind of money could easily buy a couple of the better players from teams that have failed to go up. I'd rather have someone like Matt Philips for a fraction of that price. 

It's tricky though - I've always said you need a nucleus of consistency in a side to survive the Premier League - Additional quality is great but consistency from the previous season adds a lot to it - So paying over the odds for Tomori/Mount/Wilson might make sense towards that core

It's why I think Fulham this season but why Bournemouth and Burnley with very few 'outstanding' players did well when they went up

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes less knowledgable football watchers give you food for thought , my wife watching the Leeds game spotted Harry Wilson early on and said she liked him as he was a good player and he’s the one that’s always getting kicked , sometimes when you have a player that produces the spectacular quite often it’s easy to under estimate their input when not being spectacular 

18 hours ago, Archied said:

Sometimes less knowledgable football watchers give you food for thought , my wife watching the Leeds game spotted Harry Wilson early on and said she liked him as he was a good player and he’s the one that’s always getting kicked , sometimes when you have a player that produces the spectacular quite often it’s easy to under estimate their input when not being spectacular 

My flatmate always asks if we've still got "the blonde one" and was quite pleased when I pointed him out in the cup final the other day - He always liked him because "the other players always seem to want him to have the ball"

Initially comparing stats the fee seems well off:

Lawrence (age 23) with Ipswich played 34+2, 13 goals, 11 assists - finished 16th, cost £5m

Wilson (age 21) for us played 45+3, 18 goals, 8 assists (so far!) - finished 6th, cost £25m

In fairness though we're 2 seasons on and Wilson is a bit more than a one season wonder after a good spell at Hull, not to mention his nerves of steel.

Probably better to compare to James Maddison whose final season at Norwich (age 21) was played 49, 15 goals, 11 assists, cost £20m.

8 minutes ago, Rample said:

Probably better to compare to James Maddison whose final season at Norwich (age 21) was played 49, 15 goals, 11 assists, cost £20m.

Interesting because I thought Maddison looked good but nothing OTT in the Championship - Seems to have made the step up admirably though

30 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Interesting because I thought Maddison looked good but nothing OTT in the Championship - Seems to have made the step up admirably though

I only saw Maddison against us. I remember thinking he was very good in those games, but didn't really develop an opinion beyond that. He's been very steady in the PL games I've seen this season, but I remain unconvinced that he was worth £20m.

I don't see any way Wilson is worth £25m. I'd put him in the £15m range, personally.

Obviously though, what someone will pay trumps all opinion. Is this inflation going to continue to inflate until every good young player is going for £100m? ? 

19 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I only saw Maddison against us. I remember thinking he was very good in those games, but didn't really develop an opinion beyond that. He's been very steady in the PL games I've seen this season, but I remain unconvinced that he was worth £20m.

I don't see any way Wilson is worth £25m. I'd put him in the £15m range, personally.

Obviously though, what someone will pay trumps all opinion. Is this inflation going to continue to inflate until every good young player is going for £100m? ? 

22, English, 7 goals and 7 assists with the most key passes per game in the league... I disliked him tremendously in the Championship, but you can't argue that's he's worth £20m in today's market in hindsight.

19 minutes ago, Srg said:

22, English, 7 goals and 7 assists with the most key passes per game in the league... I disliked him tremendously in the Championship, but you can't argue that's he's worth £20m in today's market in hindsight.

I suppose. But the price of such a player seems to increase by £5m every year though, I really struggle to keep up with the valuations.

15/16 the best Championship players cost £10m.
16/17 it was £15m (ignoring the huge talent Newcastle sold when they came down that never played in the Champ)
17/18 it stayed at £15m
Then last summer it was £20m 

and now this summer its £25m that's being slapped on the best players in the league, although no-ones actually moved that yet in fairness.

Just all seems crazy to me. That level of valuation inflation over such a short space of time really messes with me. 

I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up but Mr Wilson’s interview is an interesting read. Sounds like he’s not planning at being in Merseyside next season ??

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/harry-wilson-not-ruling-out-2907500

3 minutes ago, DazaDunn said:

I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up but Mr Wilson’s interview is an interesting read. Sounds like he’s not planning at being in Merseyside next season ??

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/harry-wilson-not-ruling-out-2907500

Harry Wilson is a great highlight player. He's probably the only young player I've ever watched and thought he needs to improve his all round game opposed to his end product - most exciting young players fall off a cliff due to the fact they're not able to produce that end product. Wilson is entirely different. 

Wembley play-off final is perfect for him. Cocky bar steward will probably stick it in the top corner from 30 yards. I hope so. 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Harry Wilson is a great highlight player. He's probably the only young player I've ever watched and thought he needs to improve his all round game opposed to his end product - most exciting young players fall off a cliff due to the fact they're not able to produce that end product. Wilson is entirely different. 

Wembley play-off final is perfect for him. Cocky bar steward will probably stick it in the top corner from 30 yards. I hope so. 

I agree with you, but let me tell you this... i’d much prefer it if he improves with us than anyone else ?

Just now, Boycie said:

Could you imagine Derby paying £25 million for a player?

wow.

It would be incredible but saying that, I actually think the £25M is inflated. I’m thinking more £15-18M which is nothing in the premier league should we get there. It’s also worth noting that due to his age, we’d likely make a profit if he’s successful or recoup our costs if he doesn’t blow us away! 

Probably worth £18-£20m & i have no issue with the club spending that when we win the £170m game on Monday.

Id rather the club spent the reported £25m on one player thats scored 18 goals, can smash a worldie & is likely to get better than spend £25m on 4 or 5 players that are total rubbish like clement did. 

Although when we go up and Patrick Roberts is available at £4m 

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

Probably worth £18-£20m & i have no issue with the club spending that when we win the £170m game on Monday.

Id rather the club spent the reported £25m on one player thats scored 18 goals, can smash a worldie & is likely to get better than spend £25m on 4 or 5 players that are total rubbish like clement did. 

Although when we go up and Patrick Roberts is available at £4m 

Agreed, but quality not quantity

Think I've been quite a harsh critic of his this season.

He went missing for a large part of the season, and his diving really annoys me BUT his goals have fired us to Wembley and he has scored some very important goals in recent weeks.

Personally, I wouldn't be tempted at £25m but sure some team will be based on his numbers and the fact he's from Liverpool. 

Archived