Tenerife

Poynton ram

7 hours ago, cosmic said:

Not sure how to read Lampard regarding Vydra and Martin. He almost over explains Vydra being not fit enough to travel (over-compensating and covering the transfer?), then skirts over Martin with “He’s had his issues, he’ll have his own programme.” 

Not an injury (personal issues), or just so out of the picture Lampard considers him an afterthought?

We know he's met Vydra, but we have no evidence that he's met Chris Martin. That could explain the disparity in explanation.

I expect, like most people do, that this is a bit cloak-and-daggery and they're both on their way out but I suppose it is possible that they're genuinely injured / unfit / unwell.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, cosmic said:

Not sure how to read Lampard regarding Vydra and Martin. He almost over explains Vydra being not fit enough to travel (over-compensating and covering the transfer?), then skirts over Martin with “He’s had his issues, he’ll have his own programme.” 

Not an injury (personal issues), or just so out of the picture Lampard considers him an afterthought?

Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s fed up with being told he’s a key player, then shafted out on loan, to being told he’s a key player again, then shafted our on loan once more. Probably doesn’t want to go through that cycle again. 

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s fed up with being told he’s a key player, then shafted out on loan, to being told he’s a key player again, then shafted our on loan once more. Probably doesn’t want to go through that cycle again. 

Yep. Or:

I did wonder whether the lack of play at Reading combined with Clements training plus thinking you were returning to the Snake has led Chrissie off the straight and narrow diet! 

But really its more likely there's an attempted deal... #cynicalheadon

I have a bit of sympathy with managers not really being in a position to give a blunt answer on player situations publicly. Yes, it makes them look like they're not really giving us a straight answer to us, but sometimes to do so would compromise things we're not aware of.

Just part of the way the game works.

"Yeah, Vyds is going to Leeds once price is agreed and we're trying to get fatty Martin off the dinner bill" might be the blunt truth of the situation, but not something he can really say on rams TV.

9 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

"...and we're trying to get fatty Martin off the dinner bill" might be the blunt truth of the situation, but not something he can really say on rams TV.

Can't but wonder whether Jerome is eating from the same menu too! But some of our fans see all good in one and no good in another.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I have a bit of sympathy with managers not really being in a position to give a blunt answer on player situations publicly. Yes, it makes them look like they're not really giving us a straight answer to us, but sometimes to do so would compromise things we're not aware of.

Just part of the way the game works.

This.

I remember the last manager being blasted for saying one thing and doing another, truth is things can change in football quickly, things that are probably not able to be publicised for one reason or another. 

With social media there is a growing demand for clubs to instantly come out with statements on all kind of rumours, is this happening or not, the club need to tell us right now! As the misconception that everyone at the club are sat around twiddling their thumbs grows.

It's the same every single summer.

Does anyone else dislike the constant personal insults aimed at players' weight? 

Apart from being misplaced in most cases, I find it really tedious.  

A quick look around any cross sample of DCFC fans home or away would suggest that most of us are in no position to talk.

Criticise the footballing ability if you want, but please lay off the personal digs - or at least think of something more original! 

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

Does anyone else dislike the constant personal insults aimed at players' weight? 

A quick look around any cross sample of DCFC fans home or away would suggest that most of us are in no position to talk.

Criticise the footballing ability if you want, but please lay off the personal digs - or at least think of something more original! 

Truth is the average waistline of those complaining is twice that of the player being insulted, too.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Can't but wonder whether Jerome is eating from the same menu too! But some of our fans see all good in one and no good in another.

I like Martin he's a very good player at this level if you use him the right way, I also like Jerome if you can keep him in the sort of form he showed at the end of the season he's very good plan B option to rotate with Martin.

So there! ?

55 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yup George Thorne was this weeks target from a picture taken from an unflattering angle!

57 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yep, the Fat Frank yah Lampard had throughout his career always baffled me too, the blokes never been fat.

3 hours ago, cannable said:

…who is always first back for pre-season?

******** ,,, turns out he was locked in the canteen by mistake through closed season,,,,,

im not one for posting on players weight but in fairness you can’t treat those that do in the same way as if they were commenting on people who weren’t proffesional athletes to whom fitness and living / eating well is vital ,, it’s not like telling your mate that his wife could do with shedding a few pounds

53 minutes ago, archied said:

******** ,,, turns out he was locked in the canteen by mistake through closed season,,,,,

im not one for posting on players weight but in fairness you can’t treat those that do in the same way as if they were commenting on people who weren’t proffesional athletes to whom fitness and living / eating well is vital ,, it’s not like telling your mate that his wife could do with shedding a few pounds

Criticising a player’s weight is usually, in my eyes, just an excuse to roll a cliche out for whoever is flavour of the month to be bagging. 

For example, he was dubbed ‘Fat Frank’ because West Ham fan’s only believed he was in the side because of nepotism and his appearance was just something they latched on to. 

8 hours ago, angieram said:

Pffft, we all know you just won’t hear a bad word against your DCFC crush.?

9 hours ago, angieram said:

Couldn't agree with you more angieram, and the apparent assumption that anything can be said about any footballer 'just' because they might earn a lot of money over a fairly short period of time in their lives.  Stuff that none of us would like to be said about any of us, true or not.

I would be much more bothered about where Chris Martin is in his head.  From being the focal point of a team doing well and scoring lots of goals, a terrace hero - he's gone to being not wanted and loaned out to a club 200 miles away from his home and young family; with a public fight over his services (and the benefit of a new extended contract) and then missing lots of games (on strike according to the press but never confirmed by the man himself) then by not being picked regularly; at season's end he must have felt things could only get better but if anything they get worse and he ends up on loan again, 200 miles away from his family again and in a relegation battle, picked sporadically in a failing team by a manager that didn't sign him in the first place.  At least they stayed up but not thanks to his goals which have also largely dried up.

I've never met the guy and I'm certainly not ITK but I've always wondered if, like many big fellers, he's essentially quite a sensitive soul who wants to be loved, told he's good and needs his family around him.  I wonder if the time at Fulham after Mac tried to get him back and failed, actually messed with his mental health and the period at Derby and Reading last season did little to help.  I wonder if the club are now trying to help him with more than just physical fitness because his experiences over the last couple of seasons would have tested the mental strength of 99% of the population.

Whatever, I for one wish him well.  Playing to the best of his ability he's an asset to most teams in this division.

Archived