Who is optimistic about the new season.

Curtains

I have to say that if this appointment doesn't get your juices flowing then maybe your sanity is questionable. Having said that @CornwallRam has given a very good counter argument. My only reservation is that if FL and JM prove a resounding success then it is very likely that they will move up the managerial ladder and we'll find ourselves back at square one. However I'd rather stay in the here and now and enjoy the excitement of what it may bring.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expected Pearson to be excellent, but he wasn't.

I didn't know what to expect from Clement, but I was pleasantly surprised when we got into the top six for Xmas.  Same goes for Rowett.

Lampard has an excellent pedigree and a much higher profile than the others. I hope Frank Lampard's Derby do better than Roy Keane's Sunderland though.

11 hours ago, DRBee said:

I am sceptical about Morris on some things but as if anyone needed you to share pointless speculation. Morris and Lampard will have each laid down things during the several days of negotiation. To call it meddling at this stage is unnecessary.

Untwist your tits.

Most of this forum is people sharing speculation, we are all adult enough (i think), to choose either to believe it or not.

Apologies if my post has reduced anyone to tears at the thoughts of their hero Mel Morris being a narcissistic control freak who cannot leave his manager to manage, as that wasn't my intention.

37 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I expected Pearson to be excellent, but he wasn't.

I didn't know what to expect from Clement, but I was pleasantly surprised when we got into the top six for Xmas.  Same goes for Rowett.

Lampard has an excellent pedigree and a much higher profile than the others. I hope Frank Lampard's Derby do better than Roy Keane's Sunderland though.

Roy had them promoted by April in his first season. Beat Derby at PP in his first game and took them from bottom to top - and up.

I’ll settle for that ?

(granted, he was a full on nutter after that)

FL seems a good bloke (likeable and straight-forward), has a massive amount of top level playing experience and clearly has a brain in his head.

I really want to see him do well and I think it's a brilliant move by Mel.

I don't care if he has a complete clear-out and starts again, something has to change for us to be promoted. That said, he may well press buttons with the existing squad and transform them. Hope so.

So glad we didn't end up with one of the usual management merry-go-round faces.

Good Luck Frank!!!!!!!!!!!!

COYR

Really looking forward to the season. The fans I know (and reading this forum), it seems most are in the optimistic camp. The strength of our rivals is unknown. Obviously the teams coming down have a financial advantage and the likes of Notts and Leeds will be giving it a good go this year which again makes it much more interesting for us. 

I think FL and JM will at least work well together and bring enthusiasm to the team. A success in my eyes would be an exciting pattern of play and a reduction in average age of the starting 11. Everything else will follow with time. 

On 15/06/2018 at 16:11, RamLad1884 said:

It might be an unpopular opinion but I'll be much more worried if we start next season with Vydra still here. If we manage to shift some of the older deadwood on plus gain a decent fee for vyds then I'd hope we've gone a long way towards being a sustainable profitable club again. Bonus of the unknown of loans and youngsters getting a chance, otherwise I fear another year of the football going stale after Christmas 

On 15/06/2018 at 16:33, CornwallRam said:

I know that it's a deeply unpopular opinion and one not shared by the overwhelming majority of Rams fans. I fully acknowledge that I could easily be wrong - indeed I hope that I am totally mistaken. Yet I still believe that the Lampard appointment is a horrific decision by Mel. Having said that I'm a little buoyed by Jody Morris coming in. Overall though, I'm expecting a season of real struggle.

I can easily see a situation where we're in the bottom three in late November and Mel pulls the trigger. My hope for that scenario is Cardiff deciding they want a more glamorous manager and Colin being available to lead our charge up the table.

I'm also a little torn as to what I want to happen in the transfer market. I've always believed that the chairman/owner has four jobs - appoint the correct manager - back that manager with the maximum resources that fiscal probity will allow - fade into the background - sack the manager when it's clear that it's not working out (after giving it a reasonable amount of time). 

So now Lampard is manager Mel really needs to give him the maximum budget available. The problem for me then, is that he could re-shape the squad into an unaffordable and uncompetitive mess on long contracts. That could really tie the hands of a new manager and make it impossible to pull out of a nose dive. If our finances are a bit problematical in the Championship, what will they be like in League 1? So if I happen to be correct about Lampard's likely management prowess, the best case is that he get's very little cash to play with. However, if he doesn't get any budget he's likely to fail anyway - so it's a kind of circular argument.

So come on Frank, please prove me wrong. Make me an object of ridicule next spring. I want to see a 'CornwallRam was wrong like we all said' thread next May.

Still dont understand why people think money is the answer.we have tryed that like many clubs and look where it lands you.i to have no idea if frank will be a success he is a totally unknown. However i HOPE the fans give frank time.as long as we see things moving in the right direction i have no doubt mel will give frank the time after all rowertt would have still been here and lets face it the football was pretty dross at times.

As long as we attempt to play entertaining football, I don’t mind where we finish. Top 6 would be excellent again. Last season was bizarre. A good league finish yet underwhelming due to the sheer dullness of the performances. 

I don’t mind if we play young uns or old farts in the team, we just need some more energy and not play at a pace I’d expect from pensioners in the park! 

As long as Lampard has a plan we can all see on the pitch, I don’t mind. I reckon top 6 again, but if we lose Vydra I reckon top 10.

23 hours ago, DRBee said:

I am sceptical about Morris on some things but as if anyone needed you to share pointless speculation. Morris and Lampard will have each laid down things during the several days of negotiation. To call it meddling at this stage is unnecessary.

Typical people have this very poor conception that mel is a meddling boss and i can say first hand that is far from the truth.but i cant fault people for believing is as i often think the media enjoy stiring this sort of thing up.

5 hours ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

FL seems a good bloke (likeable and straight-forward), has a massive amount of top level playing experience and clearly has a brain in his head.

I really want to see him do well and I think it's a brilliant move by Mel.

I don't care if he has a complete clear-out and starts again, something has to change for us to be promoted. That said, he may well press buttons with the existing squad and transform them. Hope so.

So glad we didn't end up with one of the usual management merry-go-round faces.

Good Luck Frank!!!!!!!!!!!!

COYR

Well said @WhiteHorseRam

On 15/06/2018 at 16:23, Mr Giggles said:

I don't think anybody isn't, the whole prospect of change has breathed fresh air into the club. The media attention also brings in more eyes to the club.

It's going to be a hell of a ride this season, and I simply cannot wait.

Sums it up perfectly....

I think we need to be realistic with our expectations this season, and not turn on the board/manager if forest do better than us (which they probably will with the money they are spending)

I see a top 10 finish with youth and good football, but if say, forest get promoted, that shouldnt detract from our own achievement and lull us to thinking that we have had a bad season

26 minutes ago, Ramet said:

Still dont understand why people think money is the answer.we have tryed that like many clubs and look where it lands you.i to have no idea if frank will be a success he is a totally unknown. However i HOPE the fans give frank time.as long as we see things moving in the right direction i have no doubt mel will give frank the time after all rowertt would have still been here and lets face it the football was pretty dross at times.

Money doesn't guarantee success, but the lack of it appears to guarantee failure in this division.

Wolves and Watford found creative ways to compete, but they still spent a lot of money effectively off the books. Parachute teams are far more likely to occupy the top six. Bournemouth and Huddersfield both spent huge and unsustainable amounts but got lucky. Burnley did very well in the transfer market and used the proceeds very efficiently. Leicester ran a huge wage budget in their promotion season.

In fact, the only team that I can think of that has been promoted recently without spending big is Cardiff, and they still had huge backing from their owner. 

A lot of my misgivings over Lampard are conjecture and observational abstraction, ie, I could easily be wrong. Yet I don't think I'm being at all controversial when I say that without money he will fail as no team has been promoted since Blackpool without a very competitive wage budget, and the situation has changed a lot since Blackpool. 

13 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Money doesn't guarantee success, but the lack of it appears to guarantee failure in this division.

Wolves and Watford found creative ways to compete, but they still spent a lot of money effectively off the books. Parachute teams are far more likely to occupy the top six. Bournemouth and Huddersfield both spent huge and unsustainable amounts but got lucky. Burnley did very well in the transfer market and used the proceeds very efficiently. Leicester ran a huge wage budget in their promotion season.

In fact, the only team that I can think of that has been promoted recently without spending big is Cardiff, and they still had huge backing from their owner. 

A lot of my misgivings over Lampard are conjecture and observational abstraction, ie, I could easily be wrong. Yet I don't think I'm being at all controversial when I say that without money he will fail as no team has been promoted since Blackpool without a very competitive wage budget, and the situation has changed a lot since Blackpool. 

Although I agree entirely with what you are saying, you should remember that if there are few outs (apart from the ones that have already left due to contract ending) and a couple of useful loans brought in, then we will still be one of the larger spenders wages wise. I’m not saying that Frank should be able to get us promoted, none of his predecessors have with basically the same team! I just want to enjoy the season, come what may. Rowett managed some decent performances despite his philosophy, hopefully we can do something similar but with more intent.

19 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

All strong valid points but most teams dont have the squad we do.if used correct and some of those that i think have been tamed over the last few years set free plus  some imo very good young lads coming into the mix i think we will be ok.i just really dont think money is the answer however i do concede it deffo helps.

For me it depends who we can shift. Its a big summer for the club and a fresh impatis is needed. We desperately need to get rid of the likes of Blackman, and Butterfield some way some how. In an ideal world I'd keep Carson, Davies, Wisdom, Huddlestone, and Lawrence, they are the key men in the team. Its quite obvious that Vydra is going so I'd love for us to reinvest in loans and younger talent down the leagues (Tom bayliss is an excellent example.) Lampard saying "there's not a lot wrong with the team" also worries me. We clung on to games at times last year and we're out footballed by a lot of teams. If Lampard thinks he can create a team that plays a fast paced attacking football with the current crop, then he may be proved wrong. Don't want to put a downer on the appointment because I think it's great. I just think that a hell of a lot needs to be done in order for us to compete for promotion. 

It's a difficult one to call. I was full of optimism when Lampard was announced. I bought my first season ticket in years & was looking forward to next season. We hired Morris & it seemed we were putting the wheels in motion. It's suddenly stopped. We currently have two assistant managers on the books. We have numerous coaches, all of which won't have a clue where their future lies. We have a number of players, again, most of whom won't know where their future lies. Lampard won't be back for a couple of weeks at least. The academy is feeling the cut backs we were warned about. The strap line is that we can't buy before we sell. 

The transfer window shuts at the start of August, so it's a race against the clock to get things in order, more so than usual anyway. I'm going to see how it all unfolds without worrying. If we sell Carson, Huddlestone, Vydra & Davies in the next week then I won't moan but see who we bring in - more importantly give those we bring in a chance to prove themselves.

16 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

But Huddersfield and Bournemouth didn't spend big, in fact done the opposite and spent very little

Archived