Who is optimistic about the new season.

Curtains

2 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I know that it's a deeply unpopular opinion and one not shared by the overwhelming majority of Rams fans. I fully acknowledge that I could easily be wrong - indeed I hope that I am totally mistaken. Yet I still believe that the Lampard appointment is a horrific decision by Mel. Having said that I'm a little buoyed by Jody Morris coming in. Overall though, I'm expecting a season of real struggle.

I can easily see a situation where we're in the bottom three in late November and Mel pulls the trigger. My hope for that scenario is Cardiff deciding they want a more glamorous manager and Colin being available to lead our charge up the table.

I'm also a little torn as to what I want to happen in the transfer market. I've always believed that the chairman/owner has four jobs - appoint the correct manager - back that manager with the maximum resources that fiscal probity will allow - fade into the background - sack the manager when it's clear that it's not working out (after giving it a reasonable amount of time). 

So now Lampard is manager Mel really needs to give him the maximum budget available. The problem for me then, is that he could re-shape the squad into an unaffordable and uncompetitive mess on long contracts. That could really tie the hands of a new manager and make it impossible to pull out of a nose dive. If our finances are a bit problematical in the Championship, what will they be like in League 1? So if I happen to be correct about Lampard's likely management prowess, the best case is that he get's very little cash to play with. However, if he doesn't get any budget he's likely to fail anyway - so it's a kind of circular argument.

So come on Frank, please prove me wrong. Make me an object of ridicule next spring. I want to see a 'CornwallRam was wrong like we all said' thread next May.

On this point.

Harry Redknapp was interviewed by a local journalist this week and a quote from Harry was words to the effect "Frank will do well if he is allowed to do his thing", the journalist said Harry has elaborated on this and although the rest wasn't published Derby fans could "guess what he said".

That suggested to me may be Frank is experiencing a meddling Morris already?

If it does turn sour I could imagine it would damage the relationship between Morris and Redknapp, nowt like pooping in your own back yard.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I know that it's a deeply unpopular opinion and one not shared by the overwhelming majority of Rams fans. I fully acknowledge that I could easily be wrong - indeed I hope that I am totally mistaken. Yet I still believe that the Lampard appointment is a horrific decision by Mel. Having said that I'm a little buoyed by Jody Morris coming in. Overall though, I'm expecting a season of real struggle.

I can easily see a situation where we're in the bottom three in late November and Mel pulls the trigger. My hope for that scenario is Cardiff deciding they want a more glamorous manager and Colin being available to lead our charge up the table.

I'm also a little torn as to what I want to happen in the transfer market. I've always believed that the chairman/owner has four jobs - appoint the correct manager - back that manager with the maximum resources that fiscal probity will allow - fade into the background - sack the manager when it's clear that it's not working out (after giving it a reasonable amount of time). 

So now Lampard is manager Mel really needs to give him the maximum budget available. The problem for me then, is that he could re-shape the squad into an unaffordable and uncompetitive mess on long contracts. That could really tie the hands of a new manager and make it impossible to pull out of a nose dive. If our finances are a bit problematical in the Championship, what will they be like in League 1? So if I happen to be correct about Lampard's likely management prowess, the best case is that he get's very little cash to play with. However, if he doesn't get any budget he's likely to fail anyway - so it's a kind of circular argument.

So come on Frank, please prove me wrong. Make me an object of ridicule next spring. I want to see a 'CornwallRam was wrong like we all said' thread next May.

This is the less optimistic scenario which could also be correct 

I am optimistic for two reasons - appointing Frank was a real roll of the dice which generally clubs never do, because there is so much at stake. We did take a bit of a punt on Paul Clement, but he did with great recommendations and quite a good background in assistant management, but it was a fairly measured decision. 

Socndly, Frank is a winner with a great work ethic and wants to have us playing very positive football. Coupled with Jody Morris, who has a great reputation I think that we will find that this squad has much more to offer than we have been seeing. Think of the transformation when Rowett finally tried a different formation to the one he had straight-jacketed us into for most of the season, and suddenly wee looked like we could pull it off, even though we didn't quite do it, thanks to a regression to the "defend at all costs" mentality.

I can remember the transformation of Jake Buxton from a "head it and kick it" defender under Nigel Clough to a quite accomplished footballer who would often start moves off under Stevie Mac. We have also seen a different side to Keogh in Rowett's "new" back 3 formation. How many other players have got things in their locker which they haven't been allowed to show under previous managers?

I have great confidence in Frank and Jody to be able to unlock any hidden talent there may be in the squad.

Thirdly (I've just gone a bit "Spanish Inquisition" here!), we are very likely to be able to tap into the wealth of Chelsea starlets to add to what we already have, along with letting a few of our own  young "stars" loose in the first team.

I am at the point that I can't wait for the season to start, and its only June!

7 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

I’m optimistic on a lot of fronts,the main one being enjoying it regardless of where we finish.

Aim for top 6 again whilst bringing in some younger players but we’re not bothered particularly about league positions in this house.

I bet there are a lot of fans from a lot of clubs eyeing us with a bit of envy(like Stoke).

Spot on. My head says “will be a big ask” for a rookie management team but my heart says “Yessssssssssss! Come on Frankie my San” {note to @Angry Ram is that how you spell “son” in cockerney?”?}

Fresh start

no baggage

not Gonna be linked with half his old team he managed (obviously)

totally unpredictable how we are going to play

cant be worse than last years anti football

age of the squad should come down

might see some academy players in the squad

im optimistic it will be a better season, but might not necessarily finish as high.

a positive step forward as a club

9 minutes ago, curtains said:

Wasn’t the first Spain  goal a hoof to Costa ! 

The ball is allowed to be kicked high and long occasionally,it just shouldn't be every kick for the entire match.

Gary must have watched that game thinking both teams were doing it all wrong.....the players even seemed to walk around occasionally rather than frantically running up and down the pitch with 'energy'

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The ball is allowed to be kicked high and long occasionally,it just shouldn't be every kick for the entire match.

Gary must have watched that game thinking both teams were doing it all wrong.....the players even seemed to walk around occasionally rather than frantically running up and down the pitch with 'energy'

It was an exciting game no doubt but full of mistakes. 

Spain gave away a stupid penalty and needless free kick and an horrendous goalkeeping error. .

Spain scored from a hoof to Costa who muscled his way in .

These are world class players that can turn games in an instance but Derby don’t have many of the Ronaldo’s or Nacho type players  

What's not to love, Jody Morris is the first coach we have had since McClaren (coach) who knows how to win. I'm more excited by his appointment than Frank's and while Lampard might take all the media interviews (I doubt you'd get a bet on us being lead game on the first The Championship of the season) I'd hope Morris can start to weave his magic in the background. My only fear, same as I have had for a few years now, is that Mel gives them the time and support and freedom to get on with it.

32 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

What's not to love, Jody Morris is the first coach we have had since McClaren (coach) who knows how to win. I'm more excited by his appointment than Frank's and while Lampard might take all the media interviews (I doubt you'd get a bet on us being lead game on the first The Championship of the season) I'd hope Morris can start to weave his magic in the background. My only fear, same as I have had for a few years now, is that Mel gives them the time and support and freedom to get on with it.

i am sure Mel will. FL and JM need to set out a strategy of careful transition by gradually blending some youth and energy around a solid and experienced spine. We have spine players in carson, davies, keogh, huddlestone and martin/nugent. Blend in some young skill/flair in wide areas and add a midfield dynamo/playmaker and we can compete very quickly.

15 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

On this point.

Harry Redknapp was interviewed by a local journalist this week and a quote from Harry was words to the effect "Frank will do well if he is allowed to do his thing", the journalist said Harry has elaborated on this and although the rest wasn't published Derby fans could "guess what he said".

That suggested to me may be Frank is experiencing a meddling Morris already?

If it does turn sour I could imagine it would damage the relationship between Morris and Redknapp, nowt like pooping in your own back yard.

I am sceptical about Morris on some things but as if anyone needed you to share pointless speculation. Morris and Lampard will have each laid down things during the several days of negotiation. To call it meddling at this stage is unnecessary.

4 hours ago, Rampage said:

Fitness and hard work equals a great chance - Frank

Iceland - like playing the Vikings.

They do all the basics really well. 

News flash - Derby County will be promoted this season. 

Can we start doing the Icelandic clap in the south stand too ? ?  

Archived