Who is optimistic about the new season.

Curtains

As long as we keep the majority of our senior players I think we can look forward to a good season .

Introduce a few new players by all means but no need for drastic changes as some would like. 

Top 6 finish can be improved on if Frank and Jody get the balance right. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, curtains said:

As long as we keep the majority of our senior players I think we can look forward to a good season .

Introduce a few new players by all means but no need for drastic changes as some would like. 

Top 6 finish can be improved on if Frank and Jody get the balance right. 

I’m optimistic on a lot of fronts,the main one being enjoying it regardless of where we finish.

Aim for top 6 again whilst bringing in some younger players but we’re not bothered particularly about league positions in this house.

I bet there are a lot of fans from a lot of clubs eyeing us with a bit of envy(like Stoke).

Don’t want to be too negative but not too optimistic. Reports of financial constraints and selling top scorer don’t fill me with optimism. The squad needs to be strengthened not weakened. Need to keep Carson and ideally Keogh Davies and Vydra also in my opinion. Having said that I hope we can challenge close to top 6 again. 

I'm quite excited as to what the season will bring, especially since we will be high-profile.

I noticed that the BBC now refers to us as 'Frank Lampard's Derby' or 'Lampard's Derby'.

e.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44468336

I'm optimistic and am looking forward to seeing much more entertaining football and as long as I can see we are building something promising I'm not too bothered about a top six place although it would be great if we did. If we bring in 2/3 talented youngsters with fire in their bellies and keep our key players I think we're in for a good time.

I'm always optimistic at this time of the year. If you can't be optimistic ahead of a season before a ball's been kicked, when can you be? And whatever your view on the relative merits of the squad there's always the possibility they can overachieve and surprise you! This time last year, how many Cardiff City fans thought they'd go up automatically. It's football, you just never know.

Realistically at this stage there are a lot of unknowns and unanswered questions but all will become clearer in the next couple of months...

1 hour ago, Dappled Ram said:

I'm optimistic and am looking forward to seeing much more entertaining football and as long as I can see we are building something promising I'm not too bothered about a top six place although it would be great if we did. If we bring in 2/3 talented youngsters with fire in their bellies and keep our key players I think we're in for a good time.

My thoughts exactly.

It might be an unpopular opinion but I'll be much more worried if we start next season with Vydra still here. If we manage to shift some of the older deadwood on plus gain a decent fee for vyds then I'd hope we've gone a long way towards being a sustainable profitable club again. Bonus of the unknown of loans and youngsters getting a chance, otherwise I fear another year of the football going stale after Christmas 

I’m optimistic because I feel the players will buy into Frank’s plans and be looking forward to the new season more than if the devious previous manager was still here. 

That written, there’s no insistence from me to finish in the top 6, West Brom, Leeds, Swansea, Boro, Villa, maybe even the gumps could all be very strong next season and vying for that second place behind Stoke ?

COYR ? ?

I know that it's a deeply unpopular opinion and one not shared by the overwhelming majority of Rams fans. I fully acknowledge that I could easily be wrong - indeed I hope that I am totally mistaken. Yet I still believe that the Lampard appointment is a horrific decision by Mel. Having said that I'm a little buoyed by Jody Morris coming in. Overall though, I'm expecting a season of real struggle.

I can easily see a situation where we're in the bottom three in late November and Mel pulls the trigger. My hope for that scenario is Cardiff deciding they want a more glamorous manager and Colin being available to lead our charge up the table.

I'm also a little torn as to what I want to happen in the transfer market. I've always believed that the chairman/owner has four jobs - appoint the correct manager - back that manager with the maximum resources that fiscal probity will allow - fade into the background - sack the manager when it's clear that it's not working out (after giving it a reasonable amount of time). 

So now Lampard is manager Mel really needs to give him the maximum budget available. The problem for me then, is that he could re-shape the squad into an unaffordable and uncompetitive mess on long contracts. That could really tie the hands of a new manager and make it impossible to pull out of a nose dive. If our finances are a bit problematical in the Championship, what will they be like in League 1? So if I happen to be correct about Lampard's likely management prowess, the best case is that he get's very little cash to play with. However, if he doesn't get any budget he's likely to fail anyway - so it's a kind of circular argument.

So come on Frank, please prove me wrong. Make me an object of ridicule next spring. I want to see a 'CornwallRam was wrong like we all said' thread next May.

Archived