Snake City watch

Zag zig

12 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

“Darren Moore's West Brom continue to go well in the Championship, recording an eye-catching win against fellow promotion hopefuls Stoke City.”

from the bbc website. How are they still being described as promotion hopefuls when they’re 18th with 5pts? At what point do they just have to accept that they’re lucky there are probably 3 teams worse than them in this league. 

They'll be promotion hopefuls all season. Fulham were struggling last season, made a couple of loan signings in January and went on to get promoted. The media know with the team they have, there's still a chance Rowett could turn it around and even if he doesn't, a new manager could come in and still have enough time to get them into the play offs 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched the highlights from today’s game (our game) in the sky sports app. It’s funny that as the video starts you get a very clear rendition of ‘what a banker, what banker, Gary rowett ...’

sky have consciously had to edit that in there, it’s not just the natural soundtrack from the first clip. 

The Rowett thread is very heartwarming:

"He's already blown our chance of promotion.

He's a ducking idiot. 

We can't get anything right. We've paid 2 million quid for a know-nothing, won-nothing gimp.

duck off Rowett."

Read more:  http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/282247/rowett#ixzz5Ps8cumjx

"The problem is there's nothing positive about Rowett in the way he manages the team.

But he seems to be setting the team out in a way that makes no sense, we don't press high to force mistakes. We don't overload the wide channels, nor do we overload through the middle.

Rowetts plan seems to be 1 man in the box, cross to the 1 man and he lives or dies by that. I think it was around 1996 when Sam Allardyce brought the data-driven approach to defending and the general level of defending meant teams had to get more sophisticated in their attacks.

We had a 1 man press today, Peter Etebo. He seemed to be the only man with the instruction to close down, or, perhaps more worryingly he wasn't told to do it and Rowett didn't want any pressure on the WBA players at all if they were no further than 15 yards inside our half.

Gary Rowett makes me yearn for Pulis, because at least Pulis knew how to play this system. I think that's the most depressing part of all. 

Scratch that, the most depressing part of all is this is by far the best squad in the league on paper, and its being played like someone just accidentally elevated Stoke from the conference and are just here to make sure we don't get embarrassed each week."

Read more:  http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/282247/rowett#ixzz5Ps9ujiqn

Hate to say we told you so:

"He has an unbalanced squad, too heavy a reliance on old stagers, an extremely limited tactical plan and makes mystifying substitutions. It is going to be a frustrating season if he keeps his job until next May."

Read more:  http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/282247/rowett?page=2#ixzz5PsBegxiO

Rowett's football is just reactive. There is no press to force opposition into mistakes. It seems a case of sit back, win the ball and spring a counterattack, hoping for some individual magic from one player or another.

We saw how it can work. Beating Boro away 3-0 without actually playing that well.

But the thing which struck was every time we went behind or were forced to actually create, we looked toothless and devoid of ideas. Rowett clearly doesn't set a team up to attack the opposition or break the opposition down.

Stoke, with their players and expectation, clearly got the wrong type manager in. 

And the penny has already dropped for several of their supporters.

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

Hate to say we told you so:

"He has an unbalanced squad, too heavy a reliance on old stagers, an extremely limited tactical plan and makes mystifying substitutions. It is going to be a frustrating season if he keeps his job until next May."

Read more:  http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/282247/rowett?page=2#ixzz5PsBegxiO

That Stoke fan has figured Rowett out pretty quickly.  

2 minutes ago, Highgate said:

That Stoke fan has figured Rowett out pretty quickly.  

They're saying exactly the same things we were saying last season, and already there are divisions between those who realise the game is up, and those who think he'll come good with more time and his own team. 

Just now, Lambchop said:

They're saying exactly the same things we were saying last season, and already there are divisions between those who realise the game is up, and those who think he'll come good with more time and his own team. 

Yeah, I've been reading it. It's funny because it's Stoke ?   Ironically just before the season kicked off, the general opinion among Stoke fans seemed to be that Rowett was an excellent appointment.  They are finding out the hard way just how limited manager Rowett really is, just like we did.  

This one made me smile from Stokes Oatcake forum;

Why , in a league as unforgiving , intense and frantic as the championship is his squad packed with 30 plus year old plodders and why the only player with any genuine pace has been banished to the under 23s?

Read more:  http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/282247/rowett?page=5#ixzz5Psb89Fa8

1 minute ago, Remy the hare said:

He’s such a sore loser. He complained in his post match interview that for Gayle 1st goal he waltzed through 3 players. If he actually watched the goal it was sublime skill and nothing the defenders could do. Gayle is some player in the championship. 

Shawcross should have done a lot better - dived in, missed the tackle and made it easier for Gayle who took his chance well. Shawcross used to be a really good, solid defender but he's absolute pants over the last season and this.

I'm delighted he's now rubbish

I almost feel bad that I am taking so much pleasure from this. After all, Rowett was a player in a much loved and successful side. He came back to manage us because of his enduring love for the club. He nearly got us promoted. A highly respected local club offered him a better chance to get promotion and develop his career. Hard to resist.

Wait. No I don’t. Not one bit. I sausaging love it. These are glory days.

COYR!!!!!

10 minutes ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

I almost feel bad that I am taking so much pleasure from this. After all, Rowett was a player in a much loved and successful side. He came back to manage us because of his enduring love for the club. He nearly got us promoted. A highly respected local club offered him a better chance to get promotion and develop his career. Hard to resist.

Wait. No I don’t. Not one bit. I sausaging love it. These are glory days.

COYR!!!!!

I think it is because he made such a play on all of those positives you have outlined and then just did one when he thought it might be tough.  There's only one person is Rowett's world.

To be honest, I don't feel too much animosity towards him - I'm just thankful he's not our manager.

I know we are moving through a period of transition (again) but it feels both the journey and the destination are more to my liking.

I once made an analogy about Steve McClaren and Newcastle. To make a long starry short, it was about us being an overly jealous boyfriend, who saw our girlfriend was close friends with one of her work colleagues, believed they were having an affair, and eventually it became a self fulfilling prophecy. When we eventually dumped her, she ended up with this new guy anyway. 

Along similar lines, the analogy here is:

The new girlfriend seemed like a good match, we’d been friends for years, we’d asked around, and the one or two boyfriends she’d had before had no complaints. But before too long we could see the relationship was getting boring. Not enough to actually consider dumping her, it was comfortable enough, and it was working to a certain extent, but it just didn’t have that oomph of an exciting relationship. Missionary every Saturday afternoon, and occasionally on a Tuesday evening. But you’re never going to get a blow job again. 

We’re thinking of the best way we can dump her, but are realistically preparing to settle in for the long haul relationship, before we realise she’s actually buggered off with someone else. She’s dumped us! For someone who is, to all appearances, a bit better looking and a lot richer. What a bitch!

But this new fella from just down the road is wondering why we weren’t heartbroken by the situation. Now he’s starting to realise what we had already realised. He’s been caught in the same trap. And we’re justifiably loving every second of it. 

6 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I once made an analogy about Steve McClaren and Newcastle. To make a long starry short, it was about us being an overly jealous boyfriend, who saw our girlfriend was close friends with one of her work colleagues, believed they were having an affair, and eventually it became a self fulfilling prophecy. When we eventually dumped her, she ended up with this new guy anyway. 

Along similar lines, the analogy here is:

The new girlfriend seemed like a good match, we’d been friends for years, we’d asked around, and the one or two boyfriends she’d had before had no complaints. But before too long we could see the relationship was getting boring. Not enough to actually consider dumping her, it was comfortable enough, and it was working to a certain extent, but it just didn’t have that oomph of an exciting relationship. Missionary every Saturday afternoon, and occasionally on a Tuesday evening. But you’re never going to get a blow job again. 

We’re thinking of the best way we can dump her, but are realistically preparing to settle in for the long haul relationship, before we realise she’s actually buggered off with someone else. She’s dumped us! For someone who is, to all appearances, a bit better looking and a lot richer. What a bitch!

But this new fella from just down the road is wondering why we weren’t heartbroken by the situation. Now he’s starting to realise what we had already realised. He’s been caught in the same trap. And we’re justifiably loving every second of it. 

Maybe richer but no way better looking, with a horrible personality and a little mickey. And bad breath.

1 minute ago, bigbadbob said:

Maybe richer but no way better looking, with a horrible personality and a little mickey. And bad breath.

Yep, I’ll take that. I meant better looking as in, seemingly better prospects. But yeah, he’s even more of a bitch. The new fella isn’t better looking than us, just richer. 

“I guess the change in my pocket just wasn’t enough, and I’m like ‘forget you’”

10 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Shawcross should have done a lot better - dived in, missed the tackle and made it easier for Gayle who took his chance well. Shawcross used to be a really good, solid defender but he's absolute pants over the last season and this.

I'm delighted he's now rubbish

I disagree Gayle completely made that goal and made Shawcroft and Martins look like statues. Also if someone scored a goal like that for us we all would be shooting our load about it. Of our forwards who could do that? Credit were credit is due. Regarding stoke, I still would be highly surprised if they don’t make the playoffs. 

Archived