Sobering thought

Curtains

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could have written that but even my punctuation is better. 

Gold award for stating the obvious I reckon. 

Any remotely high spending in the Championship will only be recovered if you get promotion. FFP prevents new money from ambitious owners ( for good reasons perhaps ) so the top half of the table will always be dominated by Parachute clubs with maybe a sprinkle gamblers.  

It is an appalling league from a finance point of view. Costs exceed possible income by a huge margin. 

I say lets have a manna from heaven payment of some form for the top 6 non promoted finishers, or for all play off participants. 

Tell you what, it's still a hell of a squad for a non-parachute supported club.

All the players have been good/excellent at some time in the past & so maybe need a coach with a system that suits them better.

With a few excellent additions (probably loans) & even a couple of sales, this squad should still be highly competitive in the Championship.

Incidentally, Fulhams squad contained 5 loan players - Targett, Mitrovic, Norwood, Kalas, Piazon

Villa's contained 4 - Johnstone, Snodgrass, Grabban, Onomah

& I'm sure Wolves & Cardiff had a fair few too

To get the right type of loan players you need the right connections - enter Frank Lampard

My guess, there will be some players loaned out and a few loaned in - but good ones.

We must be quids in this year just on manager transfers. 

By my reckoning.......

2014 -2015 paid off Mac 1

2015-2016 paid off clement 

2016-2017 paid off pearson and Mac 2

2017 -2018 got a dollop for rowett. 

That's probably a swing from something like 2-3m cost per season to a 1.8m gain.

Nice for the accounts methinks! ?

Parachute payments don’t guarantee a top half finish, ask any Mackam or Hull fan, it’s the most unpredictable league in world football, who’d have thought Cardiff would finish 2nd, we’ve got a great chance to finish 1st or 24th or anywhere in between 

We really need to utilise the loan system better. As we have seen, all the clubs around us have used the loan system far better, with key players costing a fraction of the commitment of buying one.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

We really need to utilise the loan system better. As we have seen, all the clubs around us have used the loan system far better, with key players costing a fraction of the commitment of buying one.

That's because the clubs who used the loan system better let the players they had loaned actually play a few matches.

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

We must be quids in this year just on manager transfers. 

By my reckoning.......

2014 -2015 paid off Mac 1

2015-2016 paid off clement 

2016-2017 paid off pearson and Mac 2

2017 -2018 got a dollop for rowett. 

That's probably a swing from something like 2-3m cost per season to a 1.8m gain.

Nice for the accounts methinks! ?

I think you`re right that the accounts for last season must show an improvement, mind, from what I hear we didn`t have to make a severance payment to Mr Clement, I it was leaving by mutual consent. So maybe better off than we thought.

9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Depending on what went off with Pearson there may have been a saving there too. Truth is, we don’t know but assume worse case all the time.

Derby fans always assuming the worst? As if we would...

13 hours ago, philmycock said:

Parachute payments don’t guarantee a top half finish, ask any Mackam or Hull fan, it’s the most unpredictable league in world football, who’d have thought Cardiff would finish 2nd, we’ve got a great chance to finish 1st or 24th or anywhere in between 

True, but they inflate the prices and wages for average players making the league unbalanced and the finances for the average but well supported club unsustainable. 

14 minutes ago, jono said:

True, but they inflate the prices and wages for average players making the league unbalanced and the finances for the average but well supported club unsustainable. 

I suspect (but have zero evidence so feel free to treat this observation with the contempt it may deserve) that for some clubs, great gobbets of parachute payments are needed to pay up the contracts of "premier league stars" who otherwise wouldn't go anywhere near the club.

2 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Our closest season to promotion came with a budget team. Since then we've thrown millions at it and got ducking nowhere.

Players are not any better either ! 

Sad but with Davies in that team and Huddlestone to help out we would have won it 

Archived