Blaming Rowett

DcfcJack

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think this is a short-sighted move and a massive gamble on Rowett's part. For us, it is almost certainly a lucky escape.

In truth, I wouldn't envy him taking the Stoke job at all. It's far more difficult than people are suggesting.

The club have a large number of foreign players who you would imagine won't be interested in playing Championship football. These are players that are likely to have no real love for the club or loyalty to the club and will be eyeing a move to a higher level, even more so if they have received wage cuts upon relegation.

This is before you even mention their two best players - Jack Butland and Joe Allen - who are also likely to feel like Championship football is below their level.

Rowett is not someone who is going to strike a chord with these 'big-time' players. Most of them will probably be thinking 'Gary who?' so if the majority of those leave, Stoke will be seriously lacking in quality and in need of a massive rebuild.

It is different if you play for a club like West Ham, Aston Villa or Newcastle - clubs who came down and were a big fish in a small pond - and the prestige of playing for them is still there. But Stoke don't really fit into that bracket. Most foreign players joined them to play Premier League football and as a stepping stone to greater things.

So even with parachute payments, even with backing from Coates, even with an increased salary for Rowett, there is no real guarantee that Stoke will come down and cruise to promotion. Bigger clubs have found it difficult. 

So I really don't see this as career progression for Rowett. In fact I think it's more of a risk than staying here would have been.

9 hours ago, Carnero said:

My feelings exactly. I feel a fool for buying into his ********.

When you now reflect and look at his full tenure he's actually done an average job at best.

**** football, failed to reduce the size of the squad, increased the average age of the squad significantly, sold our 2 best players (and loaned another 2 out), courted the Stoke job in Jan to land himself a bumper pay rise, overseen 4 wins in our final league 16 games and within a week of tumbling out of the play offs the treacherous rat walks out for the Stoke job after all.

**** him. 

This whole Rowett experience has done one thing, it’s removed my naivety about football clubs and fans meaning something to managers and players, especially those who have served the club before. 

Its just a job and it’s only taken me 34 years to realise!!

59 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

So I really don't see this as career progression for Rowett. In fact I think it's more of a risk than staying here would have been.

I'm not a gambling man, but with a sensible chairman, half decent squad and a massive transfer kitty, Stoke look a significantly better bet than Derby this coming season. 

10 hours ago, Wolfie said:

What I don't get is why didn't he go to Stoke before? He could have been managing in the Prem next season.

The fact that he took a pay rise here, fail & then go there anyway just makes him look like a money grabbing failure & I'm genuinely surprised that Stoke came back for him anyway.

Maybe he didnt fancy his chances of keeping them up

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

True, if i worked somewhere that gave me an opportunity but i got a substantial better offer elsewhere i wouldn't expect my existing employers to be happy, but i would still go.

Here’s the rub Paul ,managers ,players , owners ,in fact people in general are all just passing through ,, some you appreciate their time ,respect them and wish them all the best in the future ,, then there are the rowetts of this world ,,, but it’s just ambition I hear you say ,, we would all do the same ,,,, what’s the difference ,,, it’s how you conduct yourself when arriving , while your there and when leaving ,,, rowett is a prize w@nker as far as I’m concerned and I’ve given fair reason why ,,, you may be ok with people behaving like w@nkers and that’s fine ,your choice ,,, me ive got no time *********

He took the easy way out imo, could of gone 5 months ago but waited until they were relegated. He probably knew he wouldn't keep them up so had his fingers crossed they would come down. He now knows that he will have  the squad and the money to blitz this league with West Brom. He will be seen as an hero if he gets them up at the 1st time of asking. This was calculated by rowett and it was snakey but i will thank him for one thing CURTIS DAVIES. I dont care about him leaving, his football was bland and his tactics none existent. 

Yes I am feeling a bit let down after listening to Rowett and wanting to believe what he said despite the evidence of my own eyes seeing what I have been watching all season; and then still thinking that if he gets another window he'll get it right and the football will surely improve; and hearing how much he cares about the club that I must try and reciprocate his loyalty. Then to find out that we've been lied to and we were just a stepping stone to a better paid job, not even an attractive job.

I hate being lied to and I also hate people who start things and don't finish them.

So actually , I am more than a bit let down, I am angry.

43 minutes ago, europia said:

I'm not a gambling man, but with a sensible chairman, half decent squad and a massive transfer kitty, Stoke look a significantly better bet than Derby this coming season. 

Sensible chairman? Maybe you could have said that a year ago. But a year is a long time in football. Sacking Hughes, appointing Lambert and going down with a whimper suggests otherwise.

Half decent squad? For now, yes. But when these players come back from their holidays and the reality sets in - I think it will be a different story. They didn't have the stomach for a Premier League relegation battle, what makes you think the likes of Shaqiri, Afellay and countless others will be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of a gruelling season of Championship football under Gary Who?

A massive transfer kitty? Remains to be seen. But what does it guarantee? Countless teams come down with financial clout and find it difficult to go straight back up. In the past five seasons, only Norwich, Burnley and Newcastle have done so.

Are Derby a significantly worse bet than Stoke for promotion? I'd say no. Every team starts on zero, after all.

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

A massive transfer kitty? Remains to be seen. But what does it guarantee? Countless teams come down with financial clout and find it difficult to go straight back up. In the past five seasons, only Norwich, Burnley and Newcastle have done so.

Are Derby a significantly worse bet than Stoke for promotion? I'd say no. Every team starts on zero, after all.

Part of what makes the championship so good. Teams can spend millions and get relegated, other teams can spend very little and reach the autos. Sometimes managers/players click and sometimes they don't - I'm certainly more excited than I was going into next season. We had a decent idea of what to expect next season - and now it could be anything 

The reason all this happened was this.

Mel went down to the training ground and some of the new signings were sat there with blankets over their legs, playing crib while moaning about the younger generation,  and telling stories about when they were a lad. 

This made Mel realise if he let Gary buy any more players the team would be older than him, so he called Rowett into his office and said "sorry Gary I am skint, so can't give you anymore money to spend on pensioners (I mean players)." 

A few months later Rowett walks in to Mel's office and says "Stoke want to talk to me, but Derby is my dream job." Mel replies "Nice friendly lot down at Stoke at least go and have a coffee with them, here is the bus fare, oh hold on! just remembered I have to go that way I will give you a lift." So of they go Mel driving down the A52 at 140mph. 

When arriving at Stoke Mel tells the board at Stoke he will get Rowetts signature for them, so they hand him the contract. 

Mel bribed a young lad outside with Candy Crush Credits to get him to ask for Rowett's autograph, Rowett agrees to give his autograph and is rather pleased as no one in Derby had asked for his autograph since September, after they all became so bored they all fell into a deep sleep.  

So the deal was done, Mel pointed out to Stoke they owe him £2 million then drove back down the A52 to Derby with a huge smile on his face and humming the Match of the Day theme tune, excited that he would at last be able to watch football again. 

News quickly spread around Derby and the people quickly arose out off the comma like state they had been in for a season, hence the reason this forum is so busy now. 

1 hour ago, Raminphilippines said:

The reason all this happened was this.

Mel went down to the training ground and some of the new signings were sat there with blankets over their legs, playing crib while moaning about the younger generation,  and telling stories about when they were a lad. 

This made Mel realise if he let Gary buy any more players the team would be older than him, so he called Rowett into his office and said "sorry Gary I am skint, so can't give you anymore money to spend on pensioners (I mean players)." 

A few months later Rowett walks in to Mel's office and says "Stoke want to talk to me, but Derby is my dream job." Mel replies "Nice friendly lot down at Stoke at least go and have a coffee with them, here is the bus fare, oh hold on! just remembered I have to go that way I will give you a lift." So of they go Mel driving down the A52 at 140mph. 

When arriving at Stoke Mel tells the board at Stoke he will get Rowetts signature for them, so they hand him the contract. 

Mel bribed a young lad outside with Candy Crush Credits to get him to ask for Rowett's autograph, Rowett agrees to give his autograph and is rather pleased as no one in Derby had asked for his autograph since September, after they all became so bored they all fell into a deep sleep.  

So the deal was done, Mel pointed out to Stoke they owe him £2 million then drove back down the A52 to Derby with a huge smile on his face and humming the Match of the Day theme tune, excited that he would at last be able to watch football again. 

News quickly spread around Derby and the people quickly arose out off the comma like state they had been in for a season, hence the reason this forum is so busy now. 

And they all lived happily,for ever and ever.

Except gary who's a git.

Not a big fan of the whole calling anyone a snake for picking what they see as a better option. If we started next season with four losses in a row, we would all be asking for him to be fired. So the snake thing works both ways. I am one of the fans who is happy this has happened. I truly believe that he will be out of a job by December. With their parachute payments, sacking him won't be a big deal and he will end up like Gary Monk. Waiting for a job in lower Champ upper League One. His football was boring and his tactics were rubbish for half the season. 

Good riddance but I am hesitant to celebrate until we get a manager who is not as boring as him. If it is Mick McCarthy I honestly will be devastated. 

Archived