Blaming Rowett

DcfcJack

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Sensible chairman? Maybe you could have said that a year ago. But a year is a long time in football. Sacking Hughes, appointing Lambert and going down with a whimper suggests otherwise.

Half decent squad? For now, yes. But when these players come back from their holidays and the reality sets in - I think it will be a different story. They didn't have the stomach for a Premier League relegation battle, what makes you think the likes of Shaqiri, Afellay and countless others will be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of a gruelling season of Championship football under Gary Who?

A massive transfer kitty? Remains to be seen. But what does it guarantee? Countless teams come down with financial clout and find it difficult to go straight back up. In the past five seasons, only Norwich, Burnley and Newcastle have done so.

Are Derby a significantly worse bet than Stoke for promotion? I'd say no. Every team starts on zero, after all.

Fair points - look at Cardiff under Colin who? - they are a bunch of zeros  - but they did it.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m feeling very disappointed by all of this.

I really thought that with another summer of work, with the plans in place (as highlighted by Rowett and Mel) that we’d start the season closer to the desired operation model and we’d see more Cardiff type games and have another crack at promotion.

Now that can be torn up and we have another season of transition and we could have some more players who are not suitable.

Suddenly, we have a situation where the new manager has a pre-season to set their stall out won’t be able to assess any in a competitive match before the window closes.  Therefore if they believe, say, Butterfield and Blackman are the right players for the squad and they continue to perform at the level they have, we are lumbered with them until January at least.

I really anticipate a season of mediocrity coming up and whilst Rowett had a boring style of play, it was understandable to a degree. Leaving now has ******* us over.

On 22/05/2018 at 11:38, DcfcJack said:

I've been seeing a lot of people saying they don't blame Rowett for leaving, mainly due to the financial situation here at Derby and the large sum of money he could spend at Stoke.

Personally, Rowett must have known the problems we would face if we didn't go up last season, so for him to take the job, not achieve promotion, and jump ship at the first chance at a fresh start is just shocking.

Don't know what you all think on the matter, simply put, can you understand his reason for leaving or should he have stayed for the long haul.

His reasons for leaving are clear and to an extent make sense at a certain level. Yet  he has gone down a lot in my estimation. I thought he had a bit of Derby inside him and would have relished the mans job of tidying up 3 years off mess and mistakes to build something over a period of time. In the end he didn’t have the grit to stick at it. The FFP and the ridiculous finances in the Championship make managing a club like ours a tough job. Regardless of his coaching and tactical skills and whether you like his type of football are secondary .. in my book he bottled it and ran away. I don’t rate Mac much higher using those pers terms either.

i just hope whoever we get decides to use some youth and play some half decent football. I wasn’t unhappy with GR’s style given the hand he had and the financial need to get to the prem, but very sad that he’s just followed a pay cheque rather than try and cement himself in the clubs history. .. but that is championship football. Can’t see how it can change for anyone.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. Being sacked - twice - isn't the same as running away!

And you think the whole way he approached the Newcastle situation was somehow noble and credit worthy  ? Lol 

1 minute ago, jono said:

And you think the whole way he approached the Newcastle situation was somehow noble and credit worthy  ? Lol 

He's a good manager - he said he wanted to stay - how do you stop clubs approaching good managers? What if we sign Smith, what kind of man does that make him? 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's a good manager - he said he wanted to stay - how do you stop clubs approaching good managers? What if we sign Smith, what kind of man does that make him? 

He is a pretty good manager but he didn’t say he wanted to stay. He ducked and dived and bobbed and weaved round the Newcastle approach. It was tawdry in the extreme - And for that he deserves the same rating in the ethics stakes as Rowett. 

Just now, StaffsRam said:

The only issue with Mac re the Newcastle situation was that he hesitated before claiming no interest. Kind of gave the game away that he was at least tempted.

Still, preferable to Rattlesnake.

Why shouldn't he be tempted though? A big Prem club, 'his' club. Not a young manager, lots of water under his bridge, why be surprised he was tempted?

Just now, jono said:

He is a pretty good manager but he didn’t say he wanted to stay. He ducked and dived and bobbed and weaved round the Newcastle approach. It was tawdry in the extreme - And for that he deserves the same rating in the ethics stakes as Rowett. 

What he didn't say was that he wouldn't go to Newcastle - not the same at all. How can managers be expected to rule out a move to a big (or any) club in a definitive (believable) way when they might be sacked next week?! Plus Mac has always been cr*p with the media - he's a coach not a tv star!

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

What he didn't say was that he wouldn't go to Newcastle - not the same at all. How can managers be expected to rule out a move to a big (or any) club in a definitive (believable) way when they might be sacked next week?! Plus Mac has always been cr*p with the media - he's a coach not a tv star!

We will always disagree on this one Roy. I saw those interviews. A committed man would have been unequivocal. Mac wasn’t. 

You can bet GR would say privately that he would have liked to stay but couldn’t cope with looking over his shoulder every 5 mins for the first 10 games of the season. Same thing, only GR chose to jump rather than be pushed. Starting point was the same. Some guts were required from wealthy men with nothing to fear and so much to gain in terms of personal stature. .. in my book they both failed on that point. 

21 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Are Derby a significantly worse bet than Stoke for promotion? I'd say no. Every team starts on zero, after all.

I applaud your optimism, but I am more of a realist. Stoke intend improving their squad, where as Derby are again entering a period of austerity. This would have been a consideration for Gary when he was approached. 

Just now, europia said:

I applaud your optimism, but I am more of a realist. Stoke intend improving their squad, where as Derby are again entering a period of austerity. This would have been a consideration for Gary when he was approached. 

Stoke might intend improving their squad, but they've now tasked Rowett with doing it, so good luck with that....

4 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Stoke might intend improving their squad, but they've now tasked Rowett with doing it, so good luck with that....

I personally wouldn't write GR off as a rubbish manager just because he has chosen to leave Derby. He is still young and in the process of gaining experience. He achieved a play off position in his first full season at PP and this probably exceeded most folks expectations. 

1 minute ago, europia said:

I personally wouldn't write GR off as a rubbish manager just because he has chosen to leave Derby. He is still young and in the process of gaining experience. He achieved a play off position in his first full season at PP and this probably exceeded most folks expectations. 

It shouldn't really have exceeded expectations. We easily had one of the best six squads in the league. 

Given the calibre of the squad, the brand of football served up was abysmal at times and Rattler was very lucky that oft the results paved over the performances. Trying to play his brand of football in the PL, it's not a million miles away from Davros's approach to winning games, you can only imagine how that would have gone.

I will be amazed if he has Stoke playing anything approaching attractive football.

2 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Given the calibre of the squad

We had sold our two best players and didn't have enough funds to bring in proper striker. Yet we finished higher than the previous season when Mac was fired for another collapse. Being realistic a top six finish was an achievement. 

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Plus Newcastle are a massive club but Stoke? Let’s see what crowds they will be getting if they don’t go straight back up,less than us for sure.

Archived