Blaming Rowett

DcfcJack

I am not blaming him for anything.

He inherited overpaid bloated squad and he reached the Play-Offs.

He reached his primary targets.

But I am disappointed in him as a person.

He's just another careerist, who's only looking after his own benefits and and the popularity in social media.

He's not a true Ram.

All these comments spewing venom and sowing hatred against him are far out of proportion.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

I think in reality GR knows his own limitations. He knows, as he did as a player, that he's not a world beater. He's never going to manage England. Never going to be a top Prem manager and he's essentially only one poor gig away from being on his way back to League One. 

Look around at other managers who are effectively in the wilderness now after being praised as the next big thing. Keane, Ince, Lee Clark.  

He's bright enough to know that he has his limitations and eventually he'll be found out. So for now he just has to go out and jump around. Make as much money as he can and then when he gets found out he's got a big nest egg. 

I really think it's more an indication of his acceptance that he's not actually that good. He has one style. It's not for all. Of course he'll develop but management is more brutal than ever and it's a very short career. 

You nailed it in my opinion.

If he keeps hopping it will take people longer to find out that he really isn't that good.

He's the antithesis of Nigel Clough and if I were the powers that be at Stoke I'd be leery of giving him $60m with his mediocre track record.

I wasn't calling for his head, but now he's gone I'm quite glad because he's a sheep in wolves clothing.

2 hours ago, DcfcJack said:

I've been seeing a lot of people saying they don't blame Rowett for leaving, mainly due to the financial situation here at Derby and the large sum of money he could spend at Stoke.

Personally, Rowett must have known the problems we would face if we didn't go up last season, so for him to take the job, not achieve promotion, and jump ship at the first chance at a fresh start is just shocking.

Don't know what you all think on the matter, simply put, can you understand his reason for leaving or should he have stayed for the long haul.

I don’t blame him for going because it’s always thus.

How can clubs expect loyalty from a manager when they show no loyalty to managers?

But, then, I said the same about McClaren.

Ironically, having been a persistent critic on several issues (mainly his cavalier approach to managers), I feel a little sorry for Mel Morris.

We don’t know what, if anything, precipitated Rowett’s move (other than the obvious) but I’ve long suspected that Mel saw in him the long-term Derby man he wanted to build the club around. To have Rowett walk in this fashion after just one season, despite knowing the difficulties he accepted as part of the job, must be crushing.

2 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

...but I’ve long suspected that Mel saw in him the long-term Derby man he wanted to build the club around. To have Rowett walk in this fashion after just one season, despite knowing the difficulties he accepted as part of the job, must be crushing.

Mel's a tougher man than that.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah cos he wouldn't know where his next pair of trainers were coming from if we sacked him! It's not the leaving it's the manner of it, he really bigged up his love for the club and the job. But it's not as big as his love of money. 

Maybe if football managers weren't sacked with alarming regularity more of them would display the kind of loyalty clubs and their fans want? What assurance does Rowett have that he wont be canned if we have a terrible start to the season? I suspect the answer is none, so why should he show Derby County any loyalty? We wont show him the same loyalty if we are 10 games in and have only won one or two games.

5 minutes ago, Aries Sun said:

He inherited overpaid bloated squad and he reached the Play-Offs.

A squad that he helped to make even more bloated and over paid than the one he inherited, just with less resale value attached to them. 

The whole thing has a bit of stink about it for me I think he might have told them he'll go there end of season and maybe MM said sign a new deal and put compensation into it and you can go.

Think it was really odd that DCFC put a statement out yesterday saying Rowett was given permission to speak to them.

Mel knew with that statement there is no way back so its either a done deal or Mel has cleverly got rid without looking like he's been pushed out as i think it would've been looked at differently had MM sacked him.

In a lot of ways this is no different to what Mac did 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Mel's a tougher man than that.

To be fair, he no doubt is.

But he’s also an emotional man (despite appearances). He presumably thought he could count on Rowett for longer than this. Let’s face it: he’s had 8 managers (by my count) in 3.5 years. It would have been a nice change to have the same manager start two seasons in succession.

He was so one dimensional he had talented players at his disposal and instead changed the system and personnel to his style at great cost to the club .

A really good manger would have made what he had work ,a massive gamble that's failed and the clubs assets gone along with himself[thank god].  

15 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

I don’t blame him for going because it’s always thus.

How can clubs expect loyalty from a manager when they show no loyalty to managers?

But, then, I said the same about McClaren.

Ironically, having been a persistent critic on several issues (mainly his cavalier approach to managers), I feel a little sorry for Mel Morris.

We don’t know what, if anything, precipitated Rowett’s move (other than the obvious) but I’ve long suspected that Mel saw in him the long-term Derby man he wanted to build the club around. To have Rowett walk in this fashion after just one season, despite knowing the difficulties he accepted as part of the job, must be crushing.

I did think that him being an ex player for us (Way before my time so don't know much about him.) he would persevere and show that loyalty to the club. Suppose that means very little these days.

Just now, Manicsheepreacher said:

More trainer shops in The Potteries I guess, that...and a penchant for thoroughly depressing football...

I can see him doing well there. 

Hoof/Rowett-ball is in their DNA. They’ll love it.

12 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

So many contrasting emotions.

I’m still going with happy/relieved - massive bullet dodged. Onwards - just need to make sure we get a proper manager in now.

That's the problem who. I have seen at least 20 names banded about but that just shows that theres no outstanding candidate. Scary.

Archived