Blaming Rowett

DcfcJack

1 minute ago, europia said:

We had sold our two best players and didn't have enough funds to bring in proper striker. Yet we finished higher than the previous season when Mac was fired for another collapse. Being realistic a top six finish was an achievement. 

We didn't need a Striker. Vydra's the best in the division as evidenced by his scoring record, impressive given that he wasn't even a regular starter towards the end of the season.

Who, of the teams that finished beneath us, had a better side?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, StaffsRam said:

We didn't need a Striker. Vydra's the best in the division as evidenced by his scoring record, impressive given that he wasn't even a regular starter towards the end of the season.

Who, of the teams that finished beneath us, had a better side?

Righteo

Just now, belperram9 said:

First song when we are 1-0 up at Stoke.

’your trainers are ****, Gary Rowett your trainers are ****’

followed by ‘**** off rowett’ to the tune of glad all over. 

I'm thinking there's got to be something we can do with Rowett-ball to the tune of Wonderwall.....?

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

I’d prefer ‘Your training was ****, Gary Rowett your training was ****’ myself. 

I’d prefer ‘Your football was ****, Gary Rowett your football was ****’ myself. 

On 22/05/2018 at 20:04, Paul71 said:

How much do you decide is enough though? If you earn 40k, 100k, 500k a million? Should alan sugar retire or is he a money grabber too?

Alan Sugar doesnt work for anyone so bang goes that example .but even mega rich people decide they have enough and do lots of charity work and make massive donations in a way that could be said that Mel Morris who is a great example no matter how much people can say about him theres no question of him being the owner of the Ram to make a profit.And lots of well paid people including footballers get in the position of being able to cherry pick and future move

1 hour ago, belperram9 said:

First song when we are 1-0 up at Stoke.

’your trainers are ****, Gary Rowett your trainers are ****’

followed by ‘**** off rowett’ to the tune of glad all over. 

**** Tony Pulis, you're just a **** Tony Pulis. 

On 22/05/2018 at 22:51, angieram said:

I hate being lied to and I also hate people who start things and don't finish them.

This is exactly where I feel he is at fault. I’m not angry, because I wanted him gone and I’m chuffed to bits at the timing and the circumstances of his departure. I have lost what little respect for him I had, and I will certainly delight in seeing him come unstuck in the future.

If I’m angry about anything, it’s at a season wasted taking us backwards, and at the fact that, despite having a season ticket, I’ve only dragged myself to three  games this year. I also know I’m not alone in having become indifferent to our results and performances. 

Fortunately that feeling has now gone, and I’m unexpectedly excited again about the new season. Whoever is in charge, and wherever we end up, it’s got to be better than what we’ve just been through. 

One last gripe about Gary; he was guilty of another trait which I dislike intensely, and that is smugness. He seems to believe his own hype and apparently feels this club is not worthy of his efforts. In that regard he’s a fool and is only deceiving himself. The almost universal relief on here that he has gone tells you all you need to know. 

On 23/05/2018 at 01:21, TuffLuff said:

I was trying very carefully to try and not make it just about race!

(Mainly because I don’t think I have the choos to say something about it and have the direct facts to back it up even though I think there’s a point there)

The point I was trying to make was this:

- The problem that’s gonna happen with managers like Rowett, Clement, Monk, Lambert to name a few is that they know that even if they are sacked there will be a job at some point round the corner (same with Moyes’ of the older generation). So they don’t have to win anything, get promoted or ought without being seen as good managers. Even if Rowett gets sacked at stoke he will be in line for at least two more stints if management at championship level which will probably set him up for life without having to do an awful lot. It doesn’t set them up for loyalty, doesn’t give them a winning mentality so they end up not becoming the great managers they show the potential of being.

- That’s compared to others who struggle to get themselves into the ladder of management and fall away without making the impact they could have been because they weren’t given the chance when managers are able to move sideways and increase their money.

There, that was my point I was trying to make (I think?)

It’s almost as if some clubs base their appointments on the basis that “x appointed him manager so, even though they sacked him, he must have something going for him”.

I’m thinking of Clement in particular here. I’ll maintain until the day I die that he was unfairly treated by us but, after Swansea, I really didn’t think any Board would give him another go.

It wasn’t his record there either. It was the interview he gave after he left where he bagged the players, he bagged the owners and, worst of all, the way he dismissed his successor’s performance as a the usual ‘new manager bounce’.

Not only was that not the done thing and completely inappropriate, it also undermined the only real thing he could hang his record on at Swansea.

You can only ask how players at a future club might react to those sorts of criticisms naming specific players too.

Still - and I thought that interview showed how embittered he was by Derby and Swansea because it was so different from how he communicated at Derby - he got another job within a couple of months!

2 hours ago, Lambchop said:

This is exactly where I feel he is at fault. I’m not angry, because I wanted him gone and I’m chuffed to bits at the timing and the circumstances of his departure. I have lost what little respect for him I had, and I will certainly delight in seeing him come unstuck in the future.

If I’m angry about anything, it’s at a season wasted taking us backwards, and at the fact that, despite having a season ticket, I’ve only dragged myself to three  games this year. I also know I’m not alone in having become indifferent to our results and performances. 

Fortunately that feeling has now gone, and I’m unexpectedly excited again about the new season. Whoever is in charge, and wherever we end up, it’s got to be better than what we’ve just been through. 

One last gripe about Gary; he was guilty of another trait which I dislike intensely, and that is smugness. He seems to believe his own hype and apparently feels this club is not worthy of his efforts. In that regard he’s a fool and is only deceiving himself. The almost universal relief on here that he has gone tells you all you need to know. 

I wouldn’t have described him as smug until a few days ago...but I agree fully now. He’s clearly had an asterisk on his public statements that only he could see.

And people accused McClaren of dishonesty and disloyalty? Mac wasn’t prepared to go the whole way too 100% BS, ie smugness. Maybe what Mac copped explains Rowett’s behaviour fully? No idea tbh.

What really stuck in my craw when I read your description of him as smug were the statements about other managers and their relationships with Mel; in hindsight, we almost need a stronger word than smug to categorise those statements!

(Yes, i’m getting angrier now and, even moreso, after waking up this morning to the news that Frank Lampard is the new favourite for Derby manager. Noooooooo....)

10 hours ago, europia said:

I applaud your optimism, but I am more of a realist. Stoke intend improving their squad, where as Derby are again entering a period of austerity. This would have been a consideration for Gary when he was approached. 

I am not even being optimistic. We’ve been in the division for ten years and we we know how difficult and unpredictable it can be. We have seen title favourites and big spenders crash and burn before, while less fancied teams on tighter budgets outperform them. It has happened so many times that it wouldn’t even be much of a surprise if Derby finished above Stoke.

It would be typical Derby to emerge from the doom and gloom and do well when everyone’s expecting them to plummet.

I think you are giving Gary way too much credit and putting too much stock in his ability.

This could quite easily follow the pattern of Garry Monk’s spell at Boro, as a recent example.

4 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

I wouldn’t have described him as smug until a few days ago...but I agree fully now.

It really struck me when we were in 2nd place and he could barely contain his sense of self satisfaction. 

On 22/05/2018 at 11:40, Moist One said:

no, he's a quitter.

I blame him fully. if he had a problem with Mel, he should have walked, not waited to go to Stoke.

its just about the money they will have to spend and the constant critism he gets from fans and no doubts his kids in a derby school get.

I see no reason to suggest any flack in the working relationsip between mel and gary. Both have said at numerous interviews and fans forums about how they see the other as a joy to work with. A very frank and open relationship they had.

13 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

I wouldn’t have described him as smug until a few days ago...but I agree fully now. He’s clearly had an asterisk on his public statements that only he could see.

And people accused McClaren of dishonesty and disloyalty? Mac wasn’t prepared to go the whole way too 100% BS, ie smugness. Maybe what Mac copped explains Rowett’s behaviour fully? No idea tbh.

What really stuck in my craw when I read your description of him as smug were the statements about other managers and their relationships with Mel; in hindsight, we almost need a stronger word than smug to categorise those statements!

(Yes, i’m getting angrier now and, even moreso, after waking up this morning to the news that Frank Lampard is the new favourite for Derby manager. Noooooooo....)

Don't you think this has all happened, very, very quickly?

Drawing up and signing contracts nowadays usually takes awhile. And we, it has seemed, have advertised a vacancy and started the interview process before we knew Rowett was going.

8 hours ago, jagerbob said:

its just about the money they will have to spend and the constant critism he gets from fans and no doubts his kids in a derby school get.

I see no reason to suggest any flack in the working relationsip between mel and gary. Both have said at numerous interviews and fans forums about how they see the other as a joy to work with. A very Frank and open relationship they had.

any chance to drop the name in .. ?

13 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I think you are giving Gary way too much credit and putting too much stock in his ability.

Not really, but at the beginning of the season I wasn't the only one on this forum that believed reaching the playoffs would be an achievement. I just don't believe in slagging a guy off just because he has left. He may have had reasons that we are unaware of. 

1 minute ago, europia said:

Not really, but at the beginning of the season I wasn't the only one on this forum that believed reaching the playoffs would be an achievement. I just don't believe in slagging a guy off just because he has left. He may have had reasons that we are unaware of. 

Many thousands of reasons, all of them with the Queens head on! 

Archived