Next Manager Poll

S8TY

Who Would We Like to Take Over  

557 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Assuming Rowett goes - he almost certainly will, but nothing definite yet - then the next manager very much depends on the chairman's vision for the club after several seasons of significant investment but missing out on promotion.

Does he want a) a short term fix with a proven track record to have one last push at a quick promotion (Moyes, Allardyce) b) a cheap, steady option who is happy to work with a reduced budget and settle for Championship stability (Warburton, Clough) or c) a young, up and coming manager who has an element of risk and might need time to find their feet ,but could shape the culture of the club and deliver success longer-term (Cook, Cowley).

I think b) is probably the most likely.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

The more I think about it the more I warm to the idea of Alex Neil.

Took Hamilton into the SPL.

Moves to Norwich and wins 17 out of 25 games to finish 3rd and go up via the play offs. 

Brilliant job at Preston with what's available to him.

My 2nd choice after Smith

15 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Assuming Rowett goes - he almost certainly will, but nothing definite yet - then the next manager very much depends on the chairman's vision for the club after several seasons of significant investment but missing out on promotion.

Does he want a) a short term fix with a proven track record to have one last push at a quick promotion (Moyes, Allardyce) b) a cheap, steady option who is happy to work with a reduced budget and settle for Championship stability (Warburton, Clough) or c) a young, up and coming manager who has an element of risk and might need time to find their feet ,but could shape the culture of the club and deliver success longer-term (Cook, Cowley).

I think b) is probably the most likely.

I don't see how he can't go at this point to be honest!

My pick is Dean Smith.

20 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Totally agree , then every time a manager cooks off won't be a complete change in style and a massive squad revamp. Think now if we get a manager in who likes to play out from the back with overlapping full backs and technically good midfield players. That rules out half of Rowetts signings.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment. I actually disagree about Rowett's signings (not by design mind). 

Davies - comfortable on the ball and quick enough to play a high line

Wisdom - we've seen him play in that kind of playstyle before 

Huddlestone - immensely technically gifted 

Lawrence - seems to play better the more creative freedom he has 

Ledley - Not the flashiest but very reliable in possession

Jerome - No Martin technically but reasonable with ball into feet.

Sure it'd need a bit of tweaking but I think given the returning loanees and a few promoted youth players, I think we could transition pretty comfortably back to that style of football.

1 hour ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Voted Smith but would be just as happy with Warburton.

Lampard suggestions are ridiculous.

People make a weird connection between good ex-players and how they'll manage. (See how many on this forum link our attackers wastefulness to Kevin Phillips' incompetence - he scored loads as a player, so if we're not scoring loads he's failing as a coach).

I think the assumption is that having Frank Lampard in charge will mean all our midfielders will start scoring for fun.

I think we should get an entire team of ex-world class players to manage us at the same time - then every player will be improved to a world class level and we'll be unstoppable.

Dean Smith I’d say but more I think about it more I can picture Simmo. England U19s manager should be good in terms bringing youth through and getting some of the U19s WC winners on loan. Plus clubs would be happy to loan to him knowing that he’s experienced working with young players. All of which makes sense if you’re trying to cut costs. 

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Just because a manager is good with youth players doesn't make him well placed to transition them into a league team.

I would say that's a psychologist position!

It's such a big step up and one relatively few manage.

But having managed them in a high pressure tournament, rather than a low pressure under 23 league, has to count for something. 

David Hopkin at Livingston has just won back to back promotions. You can argue tin pot league but still impressive. All I would like to see is bringing someone from a smaller club and giving them the chance rather than take someone from a similar size / bigger club. As others have said, let's have some fun and go on a bit of a journey rather than just rehashing over the old stuff with the old guard of tired and boring managers rocking up for their tenth 'three year plan'.

Just to pour some cold water facts on the Simpson 'great player for Derby so bound to be a Messiah manager'.

His last three league roles.

Preston: sacked after 18 months

Shrewsbury: sacked after two years

Stockport: sacked after seven months

As for the 'international experience is great experience' brigade, I give you Chris Coleman

As for the 'U2Xs gives you great understanding of the upcoming talent' forum I give you Stuart Pearce

Archived