Next manager, who would you like in charge?

B4ev6is

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not gonna slag Wassall off. He's done a good job for the u23s. But that's just it, the u23s. Alot of people saying he did ok with the first team and managed to keep us in the play offs after Clement, but what i remember is the first leg against hull was completely wrong tactically. 2-0 down and throw everyone forward for a corner trying to push for a goal, next thing you know they break and its 3-0 game over. 2nd leg didn't need much tactics. That was just down to how much we wanted it and how hull dealt with the pressure. So I put that match down to the players desire to go for it. Not so much the managers tactics.

I think wassall is good at what he's doing, working with youngsters and bringing them on both as players and people.

I know lampard doesn't have managerial experience but he's played at the very highest level. He's won everything there is to win in club football. Yes I know thats only as a player but i think it proves he knows how to see a game out, how to deal with the pressure and hold onto a lead (something we've struggled with for quite a few years) 

10 minutes ago, archied said:

I have fought mels corner from day 1 but if he appoints wassell in front of lampard then I’m afraid he’s lost the plot ,,, this club has clinical depression hanging over it and has had since the Wembley loss and the bottlers tag stuck with some great collapses since , now I’m with those who think it’s wrong to go over the top on the wassell bashing /abusing but to appoint wassell now over lampard or even smith would be like taking a clinically depressed patient with suicidal tendencies who has perked up on anti depressants ,removing those anti depressants and prescribing large doses of cannabis and alcohol ,,,

im hoping the sudden rise in betting of wassel is a ruse(mel placing bets)  to sway those derby fans that may be unsure about lampard into thinking he’s the right man ,, please god it’s that .

Technically, Waffle does have more managerial experience than Lampard.  I'm at a bit of a loss to as why so many are creaming their kecks at the thought of hiring a complete novice to run our team, in what will be quite difficult circumstances.  He may well be be able bring in a load of Chelsea or Cit-eh loanees, but will he be able to make them play and win games???  There's no evidence to say he will...

Out of the two of them, I'd prefer Dean Smith.

We don’t know what Rowett would’ve done this summer, those clamouring for months to get him out will speculate, facts are we improved under him. Having managed the team for 14 months he would know where we need to improve and personally Rowett as manager would’ve been our best chance of success next season in my opinion. Derby would have benefited from that stability. However proven himself to be a snake and he’s gone. Good riddance (though I said the same about Mac 1 and welcomed him back)

I think we do need to go away from our recent boom or bust mentality. The objectives as bad as it sounds for the next 2 seasons are to survive, lean out the club by removing the deadwood to enable the club to rebuild. No expectations of top 6, we’re not in a great place as a club because of years of instability and some poor recruitment. It needs to be rectified for long term progression.

Suitable candidates:

Dean Smith, Nigel Clough, Mad Mick (the latter 2 would be short term appointments (2 years max) to improve the club’s financial health while keeping us in the division only - both experts in this). Dean Smith I think could support long term progression also. 

Wassall - if you could trust he’d keep us in the league then worth a go - can always turn to Nige or Mad Mick if it goes wrong.

Dont think Lampard is the way to go but may be proven wrong. I also don’t think style of football right now is a priority, getting the club sustainable is, if there is a candidate that can do both then great otherwise, a short term appointment to sort the club out and then bring someone in to build an attractive side that can sustain success.

Im glad Rowett is gone as the past week has significantly changed my opinion of him, not as a manager but as a man. However for some people on here who have been desperate to see him gone, I think this season will be one of “be careful what you wish for”, because we won’t be challenging, and we need to hope it doesn’t get any worse than mid-table mediocrity.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wasn’t Wassall’s PPG extrapolated over a season higher than what we achieved under Rowett? The football was far more exciting as well. Wouldn’t be against his appointment at all, especially as it would involve more youths coming through the ranks 

He also had a much better team with far more youth and energy.

7 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

Yes I know thats only as a player but i think it proves he knows how to see a game out, how to deal with the pressure and hold onto a lead (something we've struggled with for quite a few years) 

Why does it? It proves he knows what our left of centre-midfielder should be doing when we want to see a game out, nothing more, nothing less

15 minutes of rubbish is the reason most people on here are against Wassall.

Some of you have years of experience posting rubbish on here, and yet we still accept you.

12 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Inexperienced manager wanted experience! How awful of him. 

There were many reports at the time that Wassall was angry with Mel appointing Redknapp so I think it was more likely a case of Mel appointing his close friend Redknapp after seeing the Rotherham game travesty rather than Wassall asking for Redknapp to come in to help him. 

17 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Technically, Waffle does have more managerial experience than Lampard.  I'm at a bit of a loss to as why so many are creaming their kecks at the thought of hiring a complete novice to run our club, in what will be quite difficult circumstances.  He may well be be able bring in a load of Chelsea or Cit-eh loanees, but will he be able to make them play and win games???  There's no evidence to say he will...

Out of the, I'd prefer Dean Smith.

Don’t under estimate what buzz,feel good factor ,momentum can do for a club , I’ve seen the massive risk posts regards lampard ,,, how about the massive risk regards wassell ,, this club is clinically depressed , rowett on reflection helped to worsen that with us defending first and foremost even against the burton Albion s of this world , he split the fans and then kicked those ones who stayed with him in the teeth by ******* off to stoke for the money ,,, 

if wassell was appointed and didn’t hit the ground running with results and performances the that could be a MASSIVE disaster of epic proportions that sees our club and fans implode ,,, please god no ,,, it’s a gamble that makes the lampard gamble look like a sure thing

16 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Technically, Waffle does have more managerial experience than Lampard.  I'm at a bit of a loss to as why so many are creaming their kecks at the thought of hiring a complete novice to run our team, in what will be quite difficult circumstances.  He may well be be able bring in a load of Chelsea or Cit-eh loanees, but will he be able to make them play and win games???  There's no evidence to say he will...

Out of the two of them, I'd prefer Dean Smith.

I think firstly top level football experience (Lampards level) trumps being experienced in management. Following along behind top level football experience comes integrity, character, intelligence & drive. Management experience is vital if you are not so hot on the initial qualities. 

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

Why does it? It proves he knows what our left of centre-midfielder should be doing when we want to see a game out, nothing more, nothing less

So he wasn't sat in the dressing room with far better managers than we've had in a long time, as the team are told what to do, what each other should be doing? He was vice captain, captain quite a few times, he was a leader. It was his job to know who on that pitch was doing their job and who wasn't. Just because he only played center mid doesn't mean he doesn't know how other positions work. After all its a team game isn't it? 

Lampard has experience, not managerial no, but definitely has alot of it.

58 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Why is he ? What reason is he clueless ? 

1: The Rotherham game was an absolute embarrassment. 

2: The idea of the playing our first 11 at home to Ipswich cloggers on the last day of the season, risking injuries unnecessarily (GT then getting done)

3: The complete farce which was the first leg of the play off against Hull, a team that we had dominated during the season in both home and away league matches. 

4: The reaction of players after the Rotherham game, which speaks for itself. 

Just a few reasons off the top of my head, he may be well suited to U23’s management. 

I just doubt his abilities in the 1st team role. I hope I don’t have to experience it again truth be told. 

If it was to be Wassall it would have been announced almost immediately after Rowett’s departure. I think there would have been a negative response if he was appointed then, but now there most certainly will be.

If we spend days interviewing our “20+” suitable applicants, then decide Wassall is the best option then either we’re not a good enough prospect for any of those who were initially interested to still want the job, or Wassall is the best candidate. I imagine it would be the former.

3 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

So he wasn't sat in the dressing room with far better managers than we've had in a long time, as the team are told what to do, what each other should be doing? He was vice captain, captain quite a few times, he was a leader. It was his job to know who on that pitch was doing their job and who wasn't. Just because he only played center mid doesn't mean he doesn't know how other positions work. After all its a team game isn't it? 

Lampard has experience, not managerial no, but definitely has alot of it.

Replace the name Frank Lampard with Paul Ince

There is literally no possible opinion you can have on Lampard as there is nothing to base it on. Seeing games out as a player proves nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

If it was to be Wassall it would have been announced almost immediately after Rowett’s departure. I think there would have been a negative response if he was appointed then, but now there most certainly will be.

If we spend days interviewing our “20+” suitable applicants, then decide Wassall is the best option then either we’re not a good enough prospect for any of those who were initially interested to still want the job, or Wassall is the best candidate. I imagine it would be the former.

Not if he wanted to interview others 

Archived