Next manager, who would you like in charge?

B4ev6is

19 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Didn't Mel Morris suggest to Radio Derby that it would be an exciting recruit? If he did then there's no way it'll be Wassall. I can't see past Lampard or Dean Smith at the moment.

When was this mate?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, archied said:

like taking a clinically depressed patient with suicidal tendencies who has perked up on anti depressants ,removing those anti depressants and prescribing large doses of cannabis and alcohol

Works for me. 

19 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Whilst I agree with you mate in that those players should have been able to see that game out.

Taking off a holding midfielder for a striker when you're winning the game makes no sense whatsoever and completely turned the game and we got overran. Tactically that's about as stupid as it gets.

I could understand why he did it, get Blackman and Bent on to try and boost their confidence. It was the fact that didn't do anything about it after we had conceded the 1st or even the 2nd, that caused more concern. He could easily of shuffled the team around a bit, dropped Johnson back into DM and put Blackman out wide, or bring Hanson or Butterfield on for either Johnson or Ince.

That game vs Ipswitch, people forget that the whole season when we'd rested or rotated players they'd come back in and be awful, and by being reasonably consistent with the team they were playing well and confidant. Even then, it was keogh subbed off not thorne because he'd given away a pen and been carded.....it was only wrong in hindsight because Thorne had his leg snapped for him (and even if he's Derby manager i'll never forgive McCarthy that one)

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

That game vs Ipswitch, people forget that the whole season when we'd rested or rotated players they'd come back in and be awful, and by being reasonably consistent with the team they were playing well and confidant. Even then, it was keogh subbed off not thorne because he'd given away a pen and been carded.....it was only wrong in hindsight because Thorne had his leg snapped for him (and even if he's Derby manager i'll never forgive McCarthy that one)

That’s why Mick McCarthy cannot be appointed Rams manager, he and his tactics are archaic and there’s no longer a place in the footballing world for those dinosaurs. 

Not in our colours anyway. 

55 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Whilst I agree with you mate in that those players should have been able to see that game out.

Taking off a holding midfielder for a striker when you're winning the game makes no sense whatsoever and completely turned the game and we got overran. Tactically that's about as stupid as it gets.

If the games is 1-0 it's a strange decision. At 3-0 with 7 minutes to go he should be able to make any change and it not be an issue. 

38 minutes ago, rynny said:

I could understand why he did it, get Blackman and Bent on to try and boost their confidence. It was the fact that didn't do anything about it after we had conceded the 1st or even the 2nd, that caused more concern. He could easily of shuffled the team around a bit, dropped Johnson back into DM and put Blackman out wide, or bring Hanson or Butterfield on for either Johnson or Ince.

Agree mate. Had Butterfield and Hanson on the bench and he didn't once think to bring them on. We were getting battered. Even before they scored their first goal we should have bought on another midfielder cos you could see them scoring. Then after they scored 1 to not bring on a midfielder was absolutely criminal.

He bought Bent on for Martin which I have no problem with. If he is that set on putting Blackman on to give him confidence then take off Ince? Not a blooming holding mid.

1 hour ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Lampard has the same qualifications as Wassall, to my knowledge. Lampard has his Uefa A Licence and is currently working towards his Pro Licence which allows him to manage Champions League football. I believe DW has the same but isn't working on his pro licence. A licence is a requirement to head up an academy so I'm assuming he has it. 

To my mind however qualifications are just a piece of paper. Like in the real world... I've worked plenty of people who have more qualifications than most... Does it mean they can do their job.... No.... Just means they can pass an exam. 

Fair enough on the qualifications - I assumed with the amount of time Wassall has been coaching he might have done the extra badges - Especially since they offer the courses down the road at the England facility

I agree with you about qualifications in general - However they are a basic indicator of competence - Obviously you can prove competence practically but since we're talking about rookie managers we have to look at the aspects they can add to their CV to prove competence - If I was looking for candidates at work and saw a CV full of relevant experience vs a CV which doesn't have any it would be an easy choice

It depends on what approach we want to take next season.

As has been speculated, if we want to put more faith into the youth prospects and start transitioning some through then Wassall could be ideal.

There's still a question over his lack of experience, just as there is Lampard. The Rotherham example, while perfectly valid, was a reflection of an inexperienced manager making a rookie mistake. I know it was frustrating as hell, but rookie manager making rookie mistake shouldn't really surprise too many folks. Wassall was thrown in at the deep end and did a good job ultimately, he navigated us into the playoffs. There's no guarantee that Lampard wouldn't make exactly the same kind of mistakes if he comes in - they've got to learn, and unless they're extremely lucky they'll make mistakes along the way. The Wassall example again - similar to the mistake Sir Alf made against Germany in 1970, taking off Charlton when we were 2-0 up against the squareheads. Even great managers make mistakes.

That all being said, as much as I admire what Wassell's done for the club in a number of capacities, I don't think he'd be the right appointment now. We either need someone experienced, who will come in and win fans back over with the style of football and results, or, we need someone with the wow factor, an impact signining. Either way, with Wassall, as soon as he comes in he'll be one bad game, or one mistake away from a good proportion of the fans being against him. Tbf, for some, it might not even take the one bad game/mistake....

20 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

If the games is 1-0 it's a strange decision. At 3-0 with 7 minutes to go he should be able to make any change and it not be an issue. 

But even we they'd scored 1 and then 2. He had Butterfield, Hanson and even Buxton on the bench with 1 sub still available and he didn't react.

12 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Agree mate. Had Butterfield and Hanson on the bench and he didn't once think to bring them on. We were getting battered. Even before they scored their first goal we should have bought on another midfielder cos you could see them scoring. Then after they scored 1 to not bring on a midfielder was absolutely criminal.

He bought Bent on for Martin which I have no problem with. If he is that set on putting Blackman on to give him confidence then take off Ince? Not a blooming holding mid.

We had Johnson left wing. TBH when he made the substitution I though he was gonna play Blackman wide and drop Johnson back with Hendrick and Bryson. I don't mind the trying 4-4-2 whilst 3-0 upwith 15 minutes to go, against bottom of the table. But still Hendrick and Bryson as a 2 should have been able to hold out for 15 minutes.

Shackell should also take flack for leaving Olsson to try and win a header against Leon Best. Twice. Especially when Olsson struggles to win headers against his own shadow.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Pretty sure McCarthy was in the dugout at the time, so hardly his fault - and as I remember it (sitting level with where it happened in the East Stand) it was block tackle rather than a deliberate 'leg breaker' - but anyway, each to their own if you need someone to blame....

1 minute ago, Gaspode said:

Pretty sure McCarthy was in the dugout at the time, so hardly his fault - and as I remember it (sitting level with where it happened in the East Stand) it was block tackle rather than a deliberate 'leg breaker' - but anyway, each to their own if you need someone to blame....

Well, I just feel a little bit bad about blaming that one on Keogh....oh f-it, I'll just blame Rowett for it.

I have just had a really horrible thought. Watching the play off final and just before Fulham took the lead. I had a flash back to Steve Bruce winning with Hull, going up then dumping them for Aston villa.  I hope to god Villa don't win and he decides to come to Derby. Lol 

Watching this game now and our games against Fulham ,no way would I want jokanovic as derby manager ,, they are a very sneaky ,dirty bunch of divers ,,, really hope villa win it 

27 minutes ago, archied said:

Watching this game now and our games against Fulham ,no way would I want jokanovic as derby manager ,, they are a very sneaky ,dirty bunch of divers ,,, really hope villa win it 

Great team, remind me very much of the Rams team that lost at Wembley under Stevie Mac. Deserved to go up and glad they did....

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

I have just had a really horrible thought. Watching the play off final and just before Fulham took the lead. I had a flash back to Steve Bruce winning with Hull, going up then dumping them for Aston villa.  I hope to god Villa don't win and he decides to come to Derby. Lol 

Its on the cards alright, we could be seeing Bruce with a couple of Villa players accompanying him!

Archived