Next manager, who would you like in charge?

B4ev6is

As rookie managers go why is Wassall (Got all his coaching badges, has teams managed at every level up to senior, had a decent enough spell in charge, knows the club and the players, knows the way we want to play football and by all accounts plays that way with the u23s) so much worse than Lampard (was a good player, talks well)?

Whilst Lampard will have contacts all over football why would you loan out a young talent to a guy who has no coaching qualifications? We got good loans under McClaren because people respected his coaching pedigree - Admittedly I don't think Wassall will be able to attract loan talent either but at least he has a coaching background

Anyone picking holes because he made tactical mistakes - So did Clement, so did Pearson, so did McClaren and so did Rowett - All managers make mistakes at times - But they need the time to learn from them - For me Rowett made some really odd tactical decisions at times and some of them cost us points - ANY rookie manager we appoint will make tactical mistakes - If there's an expectation that Lampard wouldn't then you're dreaming 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Topram said:

Not if he wanted to interview others 

That’s the point though. I don’t believe Wassall would be the best candidate out of all those listed on our odds list. So if he was appointed, it would suggest he was the best option willing to take-over what we have on offer. Nobody knows exactly what that is, but it would seem as though it isn’t a great deal.

It won't be Wassall. I have a lot of respect for the guy and he is undoubtedly one of the reasons that our academy does so well and is so highly regarded and, one day, he may be ready to take the leap into full-time first-team management but that time is not now.

We are in a position where there is not much money to spend, our top goalscorer may very well leave, and the core of our squad is ageing. Regardless of where we finished this season, if we get it wrong, it could be a recipient for disaster and a relegation battle could be forthcoming if not handled correctly.  We either need someone with a track record of being able to manage in these situations, who on occasions can take these teams all the way (I can't believe I'm saying it, but Mad Mick is the ideal candidate in this respect, Neil, Johnson and Hurst would also fall into that category) or we need someone who can, despite the pursestrings, can attract a higher quality of player (I imagine Garcia can do this, and I imagine it's likely Lampard can too).  Wassall despite his management experience would, therefore, in my eyes, be an even bigger risk than Lampard and one we can't afford to take.

As for Dean Smith, the guy has a great record at both Brentford and Walsall. I'm cautious however as to how much his success at Brentford is down to the club's recruitment system rather than himself and, as we can't build that over one summer, it is a no from me.

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

Replace the name Frank Lampard with Paul Ince

There is literally no possible opinion you can have on Lampard as there is nothing to base it on. Seeing games out as a player proves nothing. 

Even as a player you need to understand tactics. I understand it doesn't mean he'll be a great manager but it does make a difference to be a winner. Which he is. 

That's just my opinion. I want something new and exciting. Wether it works or not remains to be seen. But its got to be better than sticking to the same stuff we've had the last few years. 

30 minutes ago, McLovin said:

He also had a much better team with far more youth and energy.

So give him time to bring in more youth and energy.

From the players who played more than 10 games that season, here's a list of ins and outs...

Out: Baird, Shackell, Warnock, Hendrick, Ince, Russell, Bent

In; Davies, Anya, Huddlestone, Ledley, Lawrence, Jerome and Nugent

There doesn't seem to be too much of a difference in age or energy between those two lists.

2 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

It won't be Wassall. I have a lot of respect for the guy and he is undoubtedly one of the reasons that our academy does so well and is so highly regarded and, one day, he may be ready to take the leap into full-time first-team management but that time is not now.

We are in a position where there is not much money to spend, our top goalscorer may very well leave, and the core of our squad is ageing. Regardless of where we finished this season, if we get it wrong, it could be a recipient for disaster and a relegation battle could be forthcoming if not handled correctly.  We either need someone with a track record of being able to manage in these situations, who on occasions can take these teams all the way (I can't believe I'm saying it, but Mad Mick is the ideal candidate in this respect, Neil, Johnson and Hurst would also fall into that category) or we need someone who can, despite the pursestrings, can attract a higher quality of player (I imagine Garcia can do this, and I imagine it's likely Lampard can too).  Wassall despite his management experience would, therefore, in my eyes, be an even bigger risk than Lampard and one we can't afford to take.

As for Dean Smith, the guy has a great record at both Brentford and Walsall. I'm cautious however as to how much his success at Brentford is down to the club's recruitment system rather than himself and, as we can't build that over one summer, it is a no from me.

Say there are players we want to keep ?   Carson , vydra ,Davies ,any more? Are they more likely to want to stay and have a crack at building something special under a lampard or a promoted wassell?     Or any of other less inspirational candidates ? And yes vyds may have to be sold but it could be the massive difference between having to sell an unhappy player that wants away on the cheap or selling a happy player on our terms for the right money ?

12 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

As rookie managers go why is Wassall (Got all his coaching badges, has teams managed at every level up to senior, had a decent enough spell in charge, knows the club and the players, knows the way we want to play football and by all accounts plays that way with the u23s) so much worse than Lampard (was a good player, talks well)?

Whilst Lampard will have contacts all over football why would you loan out a young talent to a guy who has no coaching qualifications? We got good loans under McClaren because people respected his coaching pedigree - Admittedly I don't think Wassall will be able to attract loan talent either but at least he has a coaching background

Anyone picking holes because he made tactical mistakes - So did Clement, so did Pearson, so did McClaren and so did Rowett - All managers make mistakes at times - But they need the time to learn from them - For me Rowett made some really odd tactical decisions at times and some of them cost us points - ANY rookie manager we appoint will make tactical mistakes - If there's an expectation that Lampard wouldn't then you're dreaming 

Wassalls a tool. An absolute fraud. Iv seen him do nothing of note for DCFC. Get rid.

15 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Lampard has the same qualifications as Wassall, to my knowledge. Lampard has his Uefa A Licence and is currently working towards his Pro Licence which allows him to manage Champions League football. I believe DW has the same but isn't working on his pro licence. A licence is a requirement to head up an academy so I'm assuming he has it. 

To my mind however qualifications are just a piece of paper. Like in the real world... I've worked plenty of people who have more qualifications than most... Does it mean they can do their job.... No.... Just means they can pass an exam. 

37 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We don’t know what Rowett would’ve done this summer, those clamouring for months to get him out will speculate, facts are we improved under him. Having managed the team for 14 months he would know where we need to improve and personally Rowett as manager would’ve been our best chance of success next season in my opinion. Derby would have benefited from that stability. However proven himself to be a snake and he’s gone. Good riddance (though I said the same about Mac 1 and welcomed him back)

Did we really? Over the whole season we were better this season finishing sixth granted, but when you look closer at the stats they tell a different story:

Derby County Managers (Last two seasons) (Source: http://www.managerstats.co.uk/clubs/derby-county/)

Manager                                          From        Until         Hons            GpH            W             D               L                Total                  Win%

Gary Rowett                                    2017        Now             0                 n/a            20          15            13                  48                    41.67

Steve McClaren                              2016       2017             0                 n/a            11             6              7                   24                   45.83

Chris Powell (caretaker)             2016       2016             0                 n/a               1            1              0                      2                   50.00

Nigel Pearson                                  2016       2016             0                 n/a               4            4              6                   14                    28.57

And this season alone GR's record was 44% (Source: https://footystats.org/clubs/england/derby-county-fc) still no better than Mac2 even though he had a whole pre-season and two transfer windows.

So IMO saying there has been improvement is a blinkered view. Rowett came, saw, dismantled, bought mainly older players, got us playing dire football and left (leaving us with £2 million ?

I was disappointed Mac2 was sacked. Appointing him wasn't the mistake, not sticking with him was. Mac2 would have utilised our squad better and had us playing better football IMO. We now need to look forward and hope that Mel makes the right decision. Let's hope the future's bright and we can all unite behind the new manager, his backroom staff and the team. COYR!

I remember going to Rotherham away and being 3-0 up with 7 minutes to go. With about 15 minutes to go he took of Thorne and bought Blackman on.

We were completely open, our defensive midfielder had gone off for a striker at 3 up. We were battered from there on in and went on to draw 3-3. Rather than manage the game he did that. When he made that sub I couldn't believe it and at no point did he acknowledge his mistake. It was there that I learnt how tactically inept and out of his depth he was.

Look, I have absolutely nothing against Wassall. He's doing a good job with our academy.

But managers attract players. Players come to clubs because of a manager. We've got more chance of attracting better players either on loan or permanently who want to come and work with Lampard not Wassall.

The place needs a lift. The excitement is already around at the prospect of a world renown footballer taking charge. The place would be buzzing.

If Wassall gets it. Season tickets would go back and attendances would drop massively. 

7 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Didn't Mel Morris suggest to Radio Derby that it would be an exciting recruit? If he did then there's no way it'll be Wassall. I can't see past Lampard or Dean Smith at the moment.

oh dear Mel that so sounds like Fawaz

3 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I remember going to Rotherham away and being 3-0 up with 7 minutes to go. With about 15 minutes to go he took of Thorne and bought Blackman on.

We were completely open, our defensive midfielder had gone off for a striker at 3 up. We were battered from there on in and went on to draw 3-3. Rather than manage the game he did that. When he made that sub I couldn't believe it and at no point did he acknowledge his mistake. It was there that I learnt how tactically inept and out of his depth he was.

Look, I have absolutely nothing against Wassall. He's doing a good job with our academy.

But managers attract players. Players come to clubs because of a manager. We've got more chance of attracting better players either on loan or permanently who want to come and work with Lampard not Wassall.

The place needs a lift. The excitement is already around at the prospect of a world renown footballer taking charge. The place would be buzzing.

If Wassall gets it. Season tickets would go back and attendances would drop massively. 

Certainly agree with the last point and it goes hand in hand with FFP. If we start to generate less in terms of season tickets, match revenues and ultimately tv then it's a double hit if we don't do well on the pitch. I don't belive MM would take that risk. Surely the saving in money of Wassall would be balanced out by the loss of revenues elsewhere. You also risk damaging academy stability. 

I tend not to agree with the point re Rotherham game. If you're 0-3 up with 7 minutes to go against a poor Rotherham side then I expect enough of the squad to be able to see that out whatever 11 is put out. If he'd brought on Mitchell and Roos it should still be enough. In fact had he subbed on an entire U17 eleven I would expect them also to see it out. To me it does highlight part of the Derby issue over the past few years and that is player character. I would expect in that situation whether you have Zidane or Zsa Zsa Gabor in charge there is enough now how and game management from the players to see it through and the manager shouldn't need to do anything. 

4 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Didn't Mel Morris suggest to Radio Derby that it would be an exciting recruit? If he did then there's no way it'll be Wassall. I can't see past Lampard or Dean Smith at the moment.

Has to be one of Frank Lampard or Dean Smith doesn’t it!

Dean Smith plays with a certain flair which we would all like a return of swagger to our Saturdays. 

Frank Lampard style as yet is unknown but I would guess he has an awful lot appeal commercially. I believe he would also unlock doors to some exciting possibilities in terms of loans/recruitment. 

Either one of these two would definitely get bums on seats at PP once again. 

1 minute ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Certainly agree with the last point and it goes hand in hand with FFP. If we start to generate less in terms of season tickets, match revenues and ultimately tv then it's a double hit if we don't do well on the pitch. I don't belive MM would take that risk. Surely the saving in money of Wassall would be balanced out by the loss of revenues elsewhere. You also risk damaging academy stability. 

I tend not to agree with the point re Rotherham game. If you're 0-3 up with 7 minutes to go against a poor Rotherham side then I expect enough of the squad to be able to see that out whatever 11 is put out. If he'd brought on Mitchell and Roos it should still be enough. In fact had he subbed on an entire U17 eleven I would expect them also to see it out. To me it does highlight part of the Derby issue over the past few years and that is player character. I would expect in that situation whether you have Zidane or Zsa Zsa Gabor in charge there is enough now how and game management from the players to see it through and the manager shouldn't need to do anything. 

Whilst I agree with you mate in that those players should have been able to see that game out.

Taking off a holding midfielder for a striker when you're winning the game makes no sense whatsoever and completely turned the game and we got overran. Tactically that's about as stupid as it gets.

1 hour ago, archied said:

Don’t under estimate what buzz,feel good factor ,momentum can do for a club , I’ve seen the massive risk posts regards lampard ,,, how about the massive risk regards wassell ,, this club is clinically depressed , rowett on reflection helped to worsen that with us defending first and foremost even against the burton Albion s of this world , he split the fans and then kicked those ones who stayed with him in the teeth by ******* off to stoke for the money ,,, 

if wassell was appointed and didn’t hit the ground running with results and performances the that could be a MASSIVE disaster of epic proportions that sees our club and fans implode ,,, please god no ,,, it’s a gamble that makes the lampard gamble look like a sure thing

As regards my previous reply, I wouldn't have either of them.  I feel we don't need a novice, nor an old timer ala McCarthy, Moyes at the present time.  Dean Smith, Paul Cook or Graham Potter and similar would be spot on, cus they've got plenty of games under their belts, but are ready to go to the next level...

Archived