Derby County F.C. v Fulham FC

Boycie

12 hours ago, SKRam said:

Think that’s the best I’ve seen Forsyth play. I am a big critic of his, but I bow to you regulars who promise me he used to be playing like that regularly. And Rowett clearly has faith. I’ve seen shocking displays from him but I only wish any player in a Derby shirt the best success so I am genuinely pleased for him, long may it continue. 

Fozzy was good last night but still not the player of 3 years ago. For me he was the best left back in the league, it’s sad to see him now, every single action is very deliberate not instinctive, always thinking about his knee.

The ability is still there but mentally he’s got to get over his injury. Hopefully a pre-season will do it and we can see the real Fozzy next season 

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, cannable said:

What does that have to do with the argument that good footballing sides cost a lot? 

There is always a cost ,whether it’s money or time and there’s a fair bit of luck involved in bringing in players cheaply to play high technical style football ,it’s very rare you reach the peaks of the division your trying to win playing that style unless you spend more than most around you ,,, for me your argument is mute anyway as I’ve enjoyed some stuff under rowett and been disappointed with some stuff under Mac at times too ,, I’m very ok with rowetts ideas if he gets real quality players in the attacking areas

On 11/05/2018 at 21:40, Pearl Ram said:

Phew. Well done all, would have loved a second goal of course, but a draw at Craven Cottage will be enough. 

Pressure’s on you then Fulham, come and have a go if you think you’re good enough. 

The Chase is on!

16 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Having re watched the game I must say how poor the officials were to Derby with two or three offsides given when we were through when they were clearly onside and how fortunate Fulham were in several 50/50 situations with the bounce of the ball.

well played Derby 

I agree that the officials were very poor, but this is football, and this is Derby County. I am not surprised by match officials favouring southern softies or other fancied names - it always happens.

I nearly asked the Fulham fans outside their team coach which seat the ref was sitting in for the journey home. However, the offside against Jerome was correct, according to the current rules. Jerome was in an offside position, then realised an attack was forming so ran back 5 yards, turned and ran on onto the trough ball. The ref indicated that Jerome was interfering with play while he was offside, even though he was technically onside when the ball was played. There is some merit to this ruling, but it leaves things wide open to interpretation, or bias, as required.

4 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Probably reasonable given that they finished 3rd & dominated possession (if not chances) last night. I'd be surprised if that was representative of the whole fanbase though - they seem very down to earth for a London club.

I got chatting with a couple of Fulham fans on the way back to Leeds last night - they were very apprehensive about Monday. Apparently one of their relatives had spoke to Tom Cairney after the Birmingham defeat & he'd openly said the players were terrified of failing that day - which is what they promptly did. The club are also very conscious that this is their last season with parachute payments (they fall under the old system) & that they'll have to cut their cloth accordingly if they miss out - will inevitably mean this side will break up & a drift down the division.

I think there's going to be a lot of pressure on Fulham on Monday - our job is to crank that up as much as possible. An early goal would make the atmosphere very interesting indeed.

Their forum, least the one I saw (Friend of FUlham - weird name, huh!), was actually pretty balanced. A good deal of praise for both Rowett and the boys with many saying they'd been sussed out. It was a strange case of Mac1 deja vu too as they lamented the lack of a plan B and questioned whether Joker would simply try the same again. Lots of comments about too many pointless passes etc They are very much expecting us to sit deep and counter and they don't seem at all convinced that they can break us down. It surprised me as I thought it would all be, 'we mullered them but didn't get the result' and it really wasn't. A fair few think they'll smash us at CC though! 

Finally watched the full ninety. Much better than I expected given some comments. I thought we controlled the game (without the ball) and looked the far more dangerous side throughout. A shame not to have taken one of our other chances, but it gives me much hope for the away leg when our fast breaks or high pressing will cause them a lot of problems.

Shocking refereeing. I saw the thread on the VillaTalk forum which commented on the snipers in the stands picking off the Fulham players. Terrible dives and ref Roger East wouldn't even allow us to take a corner without immediately blowing up for a Fulham freekick. And nonsense offsides from the lino.

Well done, boys. Superb controlled and disciplined performance. No one else has shut Fulham out all year.

If we have the legs we'll go through. The players can have a rest after Monday night.

Sith Happens
6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Finally watched the full ninety. Much better than I expected given some comments. I thought we controlled the game (without the ball) and looked the far more dangerous side throughout. A shame not to have taken one of our other chances, but it gives me much hope for the away leg when our fast breaks or high pressing will cause them a lot of problems.

Shocking refereeing. I saw the thread on the VillaTalk forum which commented on the snipers in the stands picking off the Fulham players. Terrible dives and ref Roger East wouldn't even allow us to take a corner without immediately blowing up for a Fulham freekick. And nonsense offsides from the lino.

Well done, boys. Superb controlled and disciplined performance. No one else has shut Fulham out all year.

If we have the legs we'll go through. The players can have a rest after Monday night.

The two jerome ones in the first half looked well onside, but it is always hard to tell in the stadium...havent watched it back though,

Sith Happens
7 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I agree that the officials were very poor, but this is football, and this is Derby County. I am not surprised by match officials favouring southern softies or other fancied names - it always happens.

I nearly asked the Fulham fans outside their team coach which seat the ref was sitting in for the journey home. However, the offside against Jerome was correct, according to the current rules. Jerome was in an offside position, then realised an attack was forming so ran back 5 yards, turned and ran on onto the trough ball. The ref indicated that Jerome was interfering with play while he was offside, even though he was technically onside when the ball was played. There is some merit to this ruling, but it leaves things wide open to interpretation, or bias, as required.

Have seen the first offside and he was a good yard onside, strange how the lino didn't flag straight away though.

Cant quite get my head around what you are saying, need to see it but cant remember when in the match it happened, do you know what minute roughly? I thought the rule was if you were offside when the ball was played and not before or after? Surely if thats true almost every free kick with a delivery into the box would be offside as players step back into an onside position as the ball is played.

6 hours ago, 86 points said:

Their forum, least the one I saw (Friend of FUlham - weird name, huh!), was actually pretty balanced. A good deal of praise for both Rowett and the boys with many saying they'd been sussed out. It was a strange case of Mac1 deja vu too as they lamented the lack of a plan B and questioned whether Joker would simply try the same again. Lots of comments about too many pointless passes etc They are very much expecting us to sit deep and counter and they don't seem at all convinced that they can break us down. It surprised me as I thought it would all be, 'we mullered them but didn't get the result' and it really wasn't. A fair few think they'll smash us at CC though! 

Ha yes, I was struck by how similar the couple I spoke to sounded like us circa 2014/15. I did say we used to have this exact problem before becoming the 'hunters' ourselves, it didn't seem to help their mood! 

Their one consolation was the 3 day turnaround & the likelihood of us sustaining our effort with such a short break. Its the one thing I'm concerned about to be honest too, particularly in midfield.

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Ha yes, I was struck by how similar the couple I spoke to sounded like us circa 2014/15. I did say we used to have this exact problem before becoming the 'hunters' ourselves, it didn't seem to help their mood! 

Their one consolation was the 3 day turnaround & the likelihood of us sustaining our effort with such a short break. Its the one thing I'm concerned about to be honest too, particularly in midfield.

Yeah, I did a mini-research project on our performances where we had less than 5 days between games. Problem was I was completely twatted at the time so no conclusive data was derived but it did seem to suggest we struggled playing more than one game in a week.

Weirdly, and perhaps it's just wishful thinking, but I thought Fulham looked leggy at the end of the first leg. Stress and pressure can sap you as much as the running about bit so I'm clinging onto that faint hope to ward off the jitters. A 'both teams too exhausted to play 0-0' would be fine with me! 

15 minutes ago, Carnero said:

We've avoided defeat in 78% of our away games this season.

There's every reason to believe we can win or draw this game to get ourselves to Wembley.

Come on Derby!!!

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

Already avoided away defeat at some tough places this season - Cardiff, Fulham, Villa, Boro, Preston, Millwall, Brentford, Forest, Leeds.

We can do this!!!!!

I swear you're turning into B4 mate ?

1 minute ago, 86 points said:

Yeah, I did a mini-research project on our performances where we had less than 5 days between games. Problem was I was completely twatted at the time so no conclusive data was derived but it did seem to suggest we struggled playing more than one game in a week.

Weirdly, and perhaps it's just wishful thinking, but I thought Fulham looked leggy at the end of the first leg. Stress and pressure can sap you as much as the running about bit so I'm clinging onto that faint hope to ward off the jitters. A 'both teams too exhausted to play 0-0' would be fine with me! 

The main gripe on the Fulham forums seems to be burn-out. Too many young players playing too many games because of their good form and have seemingly played themselves out of it.

Maybe they have. I doubt many will be mentally switched on as the likes of Davies, Jerome and Huddlestone etc, either.

We can get a draw. When a team has something to hold on to, it can be incredibly hard to break-down.

7 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

13 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Have seen the first offside and he was a good yard onside, strange how the lino didn't flag straight away though.

Cant quite get my head around what you are saying, need to see it but cant remember when in the match it happened, do you know what minute roughly? I thought the rule was if you were offside when the ball was played and not before or after? Surely if thats true almost every free kick with a delivery into the box would be offside as players step back into an onside position as the ball is played.

Agree with @Paul71 here. He may have been in an offside position as the attack was forming, but he stepped back onside way before the pass was made. You see in all free kicks close to the box where 2 or 3 attackers stand at least a yard offside as the player prepares to take the kick, but drift back onside before the ball is struck. I know Jerome didn’t argue, but then again what’s the point. The referee is never going to overturn an offside decision where he has blown the whistle before an attempt has even been made to shoot. Neither of the two Jerome incidents were offside.

1 minute ago, Norman said:

The main gripe on the Fulham forums seems to be burn-out. Too many young players playing too many games because of their good form and have seemingly played themselves out of it.

Maybe they have. I doubt many will be mentally switched on as the likes of Davies, Jerome and Huddlestone etc, either.

We can get a draw. When a team has something to hold on to, it can be incredibly hard to break-down.

Ah, didn't read any of that. That's interesting. Maybe I didn't just imagine it then. All the talk was about us looking knackered on here so I thought it might just be my wishful thinking. 

5 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Ah, didn't read any of that. That's interesting. Maybe I didn't just imagine it then. All the talk was about us looking knackered on here so I thought it might just be my wishful thinking. 

My Dad said Fredericks looked knackered on about 30 minutes when he came over to the SW for a corner.

I only worry about Huddlestone, Weimann and Lawrence. Jerome and Vydra had good rests. Johnson, i think, is fit enough. 

Weimann amd Lawrence should recover enough. And if one player doesnt need that extra yard of pace, it's Huddlestone. We will be fine.

If not, Mel can stick hia ******* hydrotherapy pools up his arse amd Rowett can stop the old scool running sessions.

Archived