18/19 Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

Rammed79

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrific bit of business for us today, Mount and Wilson are astute and somewhat unexpected signings. An exciting insight into how we'll play and the personnel we'll involve.

I still believe we'll try to move Matej on as he's too valuable not to fit the system. Marriott is the ideal man to lead the line and we're crying out for a proper number nine. The profit could help us bring in Bayliss, Palmer and a young left back on loan (Mitchell / DaSilva?).

Midfield options of Mount, Bryson, Palmer, Thorne, Huddlestone, Bayliss and Butterfield would be balanced in ability, style and age. Of the players we have disregarded last season, Butterfield has the most potential ability and is more likely to suit Lampard's system over Johnson.

14 hours ago, Topram said:

Just a new LB and a striker and we won’t be far off 

14 hours ago, SouthernRam said:

Of the players we have disregarded last season, Butterfield has the most potential ability and is more likely to suit Lampard's system over Johnson.

#justsaying

The system we have now is exactly how Butterfield likes to play, it's similar to when he played his best football here and scored goals. I honestly think Butterfield will change some minds this season if he plays. Johnson is deadwood to me, not very agile and a bit ponderous. If I was Frank i'd look to shift him.

46 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

The system we have now is exactly how Butterfield likes to play, it's similar to when he played his best football here and scored goals. I honestly think Butterfield will change some minds this season if he plays. Johnson is deadwood to me, not very agile and a bit ponderous. If I was Frank i'd look to shift him.

How much could we realistically ask for a club to pay? £5m+?

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

I'm not sure I agree to be honest - I think he's a smash-and-grab midfielder who thrives on late runs into the box - Which he hasn't really been given the chance to do since Clement left

That said - I'm not sure I see a place for him unless someone puts a fire under him and gets his energy levels back - 1 game in 4 he's unplayable but seems to drift in and out for the other 3

41 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I'm not sure I agree to be honest - I think he's a smash-and-grab midfielder who thrives on late runs into the box - Which he hasn't really been given the chance to do since Clement left

That said - I'm not sure I see a place for him unless someone puts a fire under him and gets his energy levels back - 1 game in 4 he's unplayable but seems to drift in and out for the other 3

He just doesn't seem reliable enough to turn up week in week out with the same level of performance like you say. He isn't getting any younger and probably on a big contract. Just think he's a big a expense for a physical guy. Good player but does he really fit in here any more?

2 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

He just doesn't seem reliable enough to turn up week in week out with the same level of performance like you say. He isn't getting any younger and probably on a big contract. Just think he's a big a expense for a physical guy. Good player but does he really fit in here any more?

Well yeh that's been the problem since the start - Does he really fit the way we want to play? Has he really for any of the managers?

When we bought him it was a panic buy to replace the injured Bryson - Nobody since Clement has played him as that - And even Clement demanded more defensive work from him than Bryson had been asked for in the Wembley season

5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Well yeh that's been the problem since the start - Does he really fit the way we want to play? Has he really for any of the managers?

When we bought him it was a panic buy to replace the injured Bryson - Nobody since Clement has played him as that - And even Clement demanded more defensive work from him than Bryson had been asked for in the Wembley season

Johnson is our midfield 'enforcer' when we play the more physical teams.

Can't see the two new young 'uns being too impressed when their one twos bounce off his shins and out of play.

A game trier with an occasional goal in him.

Probably better options for the money. 

Archived