18/19 Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

Rammed79

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

George Thorne? Where does he fit?

GT needs to given a chance this season. Last season when he came back he looked overweight and off the pace. He's worked hard in the off-season and looks to have slimmed down. No one can disagree that GT has great ability, just needs to stay fit. I believe that he still has it in his locker if he gets a run of games.

1 minute ago, jimbobram said:

GT needs to given a chance this season. Last season when he came back he looked overweight and off the pace. He's worked hard in the off-season and looks to have slimmed down. No one can disagree that GT has great ability, just needs to stay fit. I believe that he still has it in his locker if he gets a run of games.

Is a loan the best option for him, then? I don't think we have the luxury of time for him to be able to play his way back into form in our first team and under 23s just won't stretch him enough.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Is a loan the best option for him, then? I don't think we have the luxury of time for him to be able to play his way back into form in our first team and under 23s just won't stretch him enough.

Has to be. He's 3rd in the pecking order at the minute, I wouldn't want to lose Ledley or Huddlestone, and npbody in their right mind would pay a decent fee for Thorne given his injury history. The best option would surely be a loan to a lower Championship side. Didn't we used to have a good relationship with Wigan?

32 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's problematic because short term loans don't exist anymore. Once he's gone, he's gone until the January window as a minimum. And most clubs would want players for a season if they're taking them. He's worked so hard to get back and it must have been soul destroying to be the one player not to get on against Southampton. 

I do think that a fit George Thorne offers more than either Ledley or Huddlestone. How long will he need?  Can he force his way back in before the window closes?

If a loan I hope it's Championship, maybe with a team likely to struggle so he can prove his worth, but not help rivals to promotion, a la Bryson. 

2 hours ago, ramit said:

It's also easier in league 1, yet we are after Jack Marriot.  Have you told Frank yet not to bother?

Bangs em in wherever he goes, Sweden, Norway, China, Israel

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/vidar-orn-kjartansson/leistungsdaten/spieler/115607

All of those leagues are probably a worse quality than L1... that's my point. It doesn't negate the fact that even Marriott is a risk, 33 goals is impressive at any level but quite a few players that excelled in L1 have struggled in the Champ. Marriott is more prolific though and therefore less of a risk

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

All of those leagues are probably a worse quality than L1... that's my point. It doesn't negate the fact that even Marriott is a risk, 33 goals is impressive at any level but quite a few players that excelled in L1 have struggled in the Champ. Marriott is more prolific though and therefore less of a risk

i think you overestimate the quality of L1.  A middle of the league Norwegian or Swedish team would be a handful for a league 1 side.  What L1 has over those foreign leagues is style and tempo of game is closer to Championship.  Don't get me wrong, i like the looks of Marriot, a real bulldog type of forward, but feel he is too expensive.

2 minutes ago, ramit said:

i think you overestimate the quality of L1.  A middle of the league Norwegian or Swedish team would be a handful for a league 1 side.  What L1 has over those foreign leagues is style and tempo of game is closer to Championship.  Don't get me wrong, i like the looks of Marriot, a real bulldog type of forward, but feel he is too expensive.

Fully agree, I think anything over £3 million for him becomes a big gamble, more players have failed to make the step up than ones who go on to be huge successes so hopefully the purported figure of £6.5 million they're after is just speculation

11 minutes ago, thederbyram said:

Peterborough's chairman confirmed this himself.

Did he? I thought he'd just said we weren't at their valuation. I haven't seen him state the asking price.

Just now, SaintRam said:

Did he? I thought he'd just said we weren't at their valuation. I haven't seen him state the asking price.

He said they were being reasonable with the price, and that it wasn't anything like the reported valuations he'd seen in the press.

Just now, thederbyram said:

He said they were being reasonable with the price, and that it wasn't anything like the reported valuations he'd seen in the press.

Oh I misunderstood your post. Apologies.

I thought you were saying he'd confirmed it was £6.5m - Carry On!

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's problematic because short term loans don't exist anymore. Once he's gone, he's gone until the January window as a minimum. And most clubs would want players for a season if they're taking them. He's worked so hard to get back and it must have been soul destroying to be the one player not to get on against Southampton. 

I do think that a fit George Thorne offers more than either Ledley or Huddlestone. How long will he need?  Can he force his way back in before the window closes?

If a loan I hope it's Championship, maybe with a team likely to struggle so he can prove his worth, but not help rivals to promotion, a la Bryson. 

Unfortunately, I don't think George Thorne's fitness problems have a short term solution.  I feel he needs a season playing regularly so a season long loan may be what he needs.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I'm sad too @Carl Sagan - he's my second favourite player!

Well that begs a question. Spill the beans!

He's kind of still my fave. If forced to change, of the current crop I think I'm torn between Carson and Keogh. Which doesn't say much about our squad. I took the sale of Hughesy very hard. ?

May switch affiliation to Vydra if it becomes clear he's staying and playing...

Archived