18/19 Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

Rammed79

Whilst the Brentford model is admirable, it should be noted that they are neither expecting, nor under pressure from most of their supporter base, to challenge for or achieve promotion to the Premier League.

It's a lot easier to introduce younger/untried/lower league gems at Brentford than it would be at a Derby or a Villa.

Careful what you wish for.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

This may sound a bit daft, but I follow the Peterborough chairman on Twitter and he was asked his championship predictions last week and Derby wasn’t included in his promoted sides. Just, he has said Derby. He also says that Lampard has spoken to Posh in a business conversation in the past week. We don’t know what that conversation was about but it’s just interesting that he’s changed his mind within a week when nothing has changed at the club... 

Maddison and Marriott are the only players I can imagine it being about. Jack Baldwin used to be talked about quite a bit as ready to make the step up to the Championship, but I've not heard much of him lately and he seems to be heavily linked with a move to Dundee United, so doubt it's him

16 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Maddison and Marriott are the only players I can imagine it being about. Jack Baldwin used to be talked about quite a bit as ready to make the step up to the Championship, but I've not heard much of him lately and he seems to be heavily linked with a move to Dundee United, so doubt it's him

Good bit of detective work if I do say so myself 

17 hours ago, Carnero said:

Whilst the Brentford model is admirable, it should be noted that they are neither expecting, nor under pressure from most of their supporter base, to challenge for or achieve promotion to the Premier League.

It's a lot easier to introduce younger/untried/lower league gems at Brentford than it would be at a Derby or a Villa.

Careful what you wish for.

I agree. But a) ours in unsustainable... buy players well above their value at their peak and then letting go on free or paying off.

b) a club our size should be able to mix both. An Ollie Watkins and konsa in amongst a c Davies type of signing for experience and a couple of Lawrence style signings and you have there a terrifying squad.

We have failed to address one of our biggest issues in years... we don’t have enough players who offer penitration one way or another. Hughes is the only player recently to consistently look for incisive passes but a lot of how he was played was too deep.

We have only ever had one out of Lawrence and Ince where in reality you need 2/3 in a squad (players who actually attempt to take a player on and make openings for shots longer range). I like Weimann and Russell but we held onto having 2 players like that far too long. They don’t have to be that standard as they are 5-10 mill minimum but that’s what you get going lower in the divisions and younger (unpredictability). 

Lets be honest the ‘safe’ bet in butterfield and the rest haven’t exactly guaranteed performances!

8 hours ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

I agree. But a) ours in unsustainable... buy players well above their value at their peak and then letting go on free or paying off.

b) a club our size should be able to mix both. An Ollie Watkins and konsa in amongst a c Davies type of signing for experience and a couple of Lawrence style signings and you have there a terrifying squad.

We have failed to address one of our biggest issues in years... we don’t have enough players who offer penitration one way or another. Hughes is the only player recently to consistently look for incisive passes but a lot of how he was played was too deep.

We have only ever had one out of Lawrence and Ince where in reality you need 2/3 in a squad (players who actually attempt to take a player on and make openings for shots longer range). I like Weimann and Russell but we held onto having 2 players like that far too long. They don’t have to be that standard as they are 5-10 mill minimum but that’s what you get going lower in the divisions and younger (unpredictability). 

Lets be honest the ‘safe’ bet in butterfield and the rest haven’t exactly guaranteed performances!

Do you mean for the opposition or for the fans?!?

5 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Odubajo just turned down new Hull contract and is leaving after rotten luck with injuries. Always impressed me, injuries seem more unlucky than anything.

To be honest, it wouldn’t be worth us taking a chance on this. Injury prone players just ain’t worth it and surely our injury room must be renamed the George Thorne Hospitility suite by now 

11 hours ago, EraniosSocks said:

To be honest, it wouldn’t be worth us taking a chance on this. Injury prone players just ain’t worth it and surely our injury room must be renamed the George Thorne Hospitility suite by now 

Get him in on a basic plus appearance related pay basis.  Could be a real asset now that he should be over the worst of his injury.

4 hours ago, Waffle said:

What happened to our scouting efforts in Iceland?

Gave up on it as it became clear that Rowett was not interested in any foreign players.  Now that Frank is here, i will get some scouting done for him, although i suspect he would rather listen to Eiður's advice.  For the third time i will mention Hannes Þór Halldórsson, who just earlier saved a Messi penalty and is an excellent keeper and available for little.  With Hannes and Scott we would be in very good goalkeeper situation

13 minutes ago, ramit said:

Gave up on it as it became clear that Rowett was not interested in any foreign players.  Now that Frank is here, i will get some scouting done for him, although i suspect he would rather listen to Eiður's advice.  For the third time i will mention Hannes Þór Halldórsson, who just earlier saved a Messi penalty and is an excellent keeper and available for little.  With Hannes and Scott we would be in very good goalkeeper situation

He has just signed some chap from Nigeria... 

Archived