Sheffield Wednesday F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

1 hour ago, Derby blood said:

It's one lost, people react to quickly, we have not been very good for the last 2 games, 14 games left, please judge us at the end of the season, most fans would have been happy with playoffs this season, Rowetts done a great job up to now, and I still believe top 2 is on, all teams will have ups and downs, also if Fulham beat Villa on Saturday, it would make FOR a very interesting end to the season, top 5 teams in this division can all still get second spot, this is what makes the championship so interesting. 

Your right, but, and this is controversial, it’s not just last couple of games we’ve been poor, I honestly feel we’ve not been good all season, EFFECTIVE yes, but good sorry not good often enough......yep I know I’m gonna be slated crack on, but I think the attendances speak for themselves, 2 years ago 28000. -29000 average, more than 300000 for bigger games, just not getting that now besides being 2nd/3rd in table, after being so drab on Saturday against Norwich, you really would think to put in a performance tonight, for themselves, and the fans, but no, just laboured away.....not good enough end off...........

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again. The collapse starts here. We’ll probably only win another two games for the rest of the season and those of us (me being the most vocal and obnoxious of all) who suspected Rowett was out of his depth will be proved right as we slide down the table.

Ahhhhhhh. Feels good.

:ph34r::D:lol:

Seriously though, some perspective is needed. 

How can we be so despondent when tonight was just our third loss in our past 25 league games, and our first away loss in five months?

Is this all because we’ve had a taste of being second? Suddenly every decision Rowett makes is under the microscope. Buy a player? Sell a player? Stick with the XI? Change the XI? He can’t win with our fans at the moment - he is damned whatever he chooses to do.

I like to think about how far we have come. Rowett looked primed for his P45 in September and now we are in the top six and look well placed for a top six finish at worst but with 14 games to play and in a long season with many twists and turns, automatic promotion is still all to play for.

If you had offered me this after Ince and Hughes had been sold or after we were outclassed by Bristol City in September, I would have taken it without a moment’s hesitation.

Of course Rowett is not infallible and mistakes have been made but I think we just need to take a step back and appreciate we are way ahead of schedule and not put too much pressure and expectation on the players and the outcome.

Pressure is the last thing the club needs.

3 minutes ago, Leon the ram 2009 said:

Your right, but, and this is controversial, it’s not just last couple of games we’ve been poor, I honestly feel we’ve not been good all season, EFFECTIVE yes, but good sorry not good often enough......yep I know I’m gonna be slated crack on, but I think the attendances speak for themselves, 2 years ago 28000. -29000 average, more than 300000 for bigger games, just not getting that now besides being 2nd/3rd in table, after being so drab on Saturday against Norwich, you really would think to put in a performance tonight, for themselves, and the fans, but no, just laboured away.....not good enough end off...........

Can't say I was impressed with rowett's post match interview. Saying the performance was ok? taking account of the opposition it really wasn't. First half was absolutely terrible. Then complaining we weren't pushing up enough against Norwich but too open against wendies? Not exactly inspiring confidence at the moment. Let's hope it's just a wobble. 

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Here we go again. The collapse starts here. We’ll probably only win another two games for the rest of the season and those of us (me being the most vocal and obnoxious of all) who suspected Rowett was out of his depth will be proved right as we slide down the table.

Ahhhhhhh. Feels good.

:ph34r::D:lol:

Seriously though, some perspective is needed. 

How can we be so despondent when tonight was just our third loss in our past 25 league games, and our first away loss in five months?

Is this all because we’ve had a taste of being second? Suddenly every decision Rowett makes is under the microscope. Buy a player? Sell a player? Stick with the XI? Change the XI? He can’t win with our fans at the moment - he is damned whatever he chooses to do.

I like to think about how far we have come. Rowett looked primed for his P45 in September and now we are in the top six and look well placed for a top six finish at worst but with 14 games to play and in a long season with many twists and turns, automatic promotion is still all to play for.

If you had offered me this after Ince and Hughes had been sold or after we were outclassed by Bristol City in September, I would have taken it without a moment’s hesitation.

Of course Rowett is not infallible and mistakes have been made but I think we just need to take a step back and appreciate we are way ahead of schedule and not put too much pressure and expectation on the players and the outcome.

Pressure is the last thing the club needs.

Absolutely, people have short memories sometimes.  Wolves are out of sight but Villa will also slip up at some point.  One point from 2 games will hopefully act as a wake up call.  Maybe this has always been our problem in recent years - working like stink to get into the top 6 then becoming complacent, it's happened a lot no matter who the manager was - Mac, Clement, and now GR.

To be 3rd at this point is a darn sight better than we've managed for some time, the players are all among the best in this league in their positions, but maybe it's time to get the work ethic back a bit now.  If Chelsea can lose to Bournemouth and Watford then we can lose to Sheff Wed reserves.  I'd love to know how Sean Dyche keeps his Burnley players sharp and up for it, we have the talent but we need to also be prepared to scrap when necessary and I wonder if we have the attitude required for that?  Hope so.

"Wem - ber - ley, wem -ber - ley".......LOL

COYR!

LR2

With the goals drying up a little, we are really looking for players other than Vydra to contribute. Nugent is having a dry spell, Lawrence a poor patch, Hudds is hardly prolific, nor are Thorne or Ledley. We are probably looking at the likes of Weimann, Johnson and Jerome as our most likely sources now Winnall is crocked. Vydra needs to be wrapped in cotton wool, such is his importance to us. Most promotion winning teams will have a midfielder that bangs in 10+ goals a season. Can’t see we do. 

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

Not sure any fan can claim Derby's performance was anywhere close to good enough tonight. Rowett made plenty of questionable decisions, and our midfield was overrun very often. We just don't seem to have any kind of invention at this point in time, and when chasing goals, is taking off Vydra the right thing to do? 

3 years ago when chasing a top 2 finish we had 0 fit defensive midfielders for our 433. 

Now fast forward a couple of seasons all we have are defensive midfielders. 

We haven't become better balanced as we still don't have a blend. We've just changed the emphasis of our central midfield. 

It seems we are struggling when teams play 3 at at the back against us so hopefully GR will counter act this as this has happened a few times now.

I actually don't think it would hurt us to do the same sometimes as the two cdms can leave us a bit overrun 

long way to go and plenty of ups and downs for sure ...we can still play our part by being loud  and getting behind the team because its still all up for grabs.....

Maybe its just a reality check that really needs to be done by fans.....

Come on who in August actually thought we would be where are in February? I bet there are not many?

There is a saying ....'your fighting above your weight', we currently are!

11 minutes ago, toddy said:

Maybe its just a reality check that really needs to be done by fans.....

Come on who in August actually thought we would be where are in February? I bet there are not many?

There is a saying ....'your fighting above your weight', we currently are!

It's actually "punching above your weight". But I get what you're saying. I'm not sure we are. I think third is about right. We've just dipped in form. 

Watched it on rams tv and although really disapointed with the result did we play as dire as some feel? No not for me apart from defensively and I think there may have been a bit of going for the win rather than our usual keep our shape and be patient that played a big part in that , we just gave them so much time and space in the final third and if they beat a player they were into open space with no rams backing each other up ,, did we have enough chances to win the game ? Yes we did but were poor in front of goal or with the final ball or shot ,we have played far worse overall but won convincingly in games by being clinical,

where do we go from this blip of draws and a loss ,,, for me we have to get back to basics and not be afraid of draws then build again from there ,we must secure play offs ,that’s not to say second place has gone but to get second we are really going to have to over achieve and drag the absolute best from our front line game in and game out I hate to  slate players and that’s not my intention but I do have to be honest with my opinions that although Russell was not the greatest he was best wide player we had ,,, wieman ,anja,Jono are not good enough wide players for top two level , Lawrence at this point isn’t either but whether he will develop remains to be seen but the others we know well enough over time watching them that they are not and not ever going to be ,hopefully rowett is learning that , we have to have wide men that produce far more goals and assists as we have moved from requiring that from our midfield so the onus is on them ,

rowett has had two windows with more restraints than his recent predecessors so in balance we are still early days

Maybe, just maybe this is a good thing.

We have been riding a high on the back of a long run with out loss. Then along come a few draws which will obviously play on the minds of the players.

They will not want to lose and this can have a negative effect. Pressure will build and and performance will become edgy.

That came to a head last night and now the pressure of not wanting to lose has now gone away. 

It is how they respond to that loss now and hopefully they will now come out fighting. This loss will have hurt them.

7 hours ago, David said:

Whilst 6 changes is a lot to make, it was far from being akin to what the big boys do in the cup against lesser sides. The team tonight was the exact same side that played 3 consecutive games over Christmas. 

Derby 2-0 Villa
Derby 3-0 Millwall
Hull 0-0 Derby

The difference being. That team had largely played the matches prior to the 3 you suggest too. The odd change here and there. This time 5 of the 6 hadn’t played much recently due to injuries and loss of form. Therefore the team wasn’t exactly the same as the  one who played those games. Not in terms of personnel obviously. But in terms of form and match sharpness 

Sheffield Wed 2-0 Derby 

Just as everyone went overboard saying how great Norwich were on Saturday when they were at best, average, peeps are not really talking about how bloody awful Wednesday were. They couldn’t keep the ball, letting us take it from them with ease, and if it wasn’t for our mind blowingly poor execution, we should have absolutely hammered them. Don’t see them winning many more games this season. Burton were far better.

Bit worrying that GR couldn’t recalibrate the team with subs and tactics at the half or even at about 60 mins to give that poor team a good hiding ... 

Archived